Stronglifts 5x5 Ladies? Join me!

Hi Ladies! I just started the Strong Lifts 5x5 program this week and wondered if anyone else is new to it and wants to be sort of "buddies"?

I still have weight to lose (about 20lbs) but I didn't want to wait to start lifting, as I'd like to be building the muscle underneath while I eat a bit of a deficit.

I'm trying to eat around 1500 cals a day, so I know I won't be gaining any muscle weight, but right now I'm SO un-toned, that even if I just tone up my current muscles and shed some fat I'll be super happy!

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm doing it as well :) I've been at it for about 4-5 weeks now. Similar boat, trying to eat around 1550 calories per day and would like to lose around 7kg. I've done various lifting programs as well as my own thing on and off for years, but the "off" has been enough that I haven't made any progress in a long time, so I'm trying to lay some good foundations before I move on to something more aesthetically focussed.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I won't be able to get back to lifting like stronglifts until I have access to a gym/weight room😢
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I was doing it for three or four months and my arms looked so good.

Right now though, the gym isn't safe. Hopefully one day I'll get back to it.
  • bex1086
    bex1086 Posts: 75 Member
    I started doing it back in January but had to take a couple of weeks off then I restarted. Was going well until the gyms shut. They are open again now but with it being the school holidays my schedule is too erratic with the kids at home and me working evenings so I'm going to have to wait until September to restart properly.

I'm determined to get on and finish it at some point in the near future. The virus poses no real threat to me so I'm just at mercy of the government deciding to shut things down again.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Ahhh of course I keep forgetting not everyone has a gym right now!! I'm lucky to be in central Europe in a country where numbers are very low so our gyms have been open a while. There's still distancing measures in the gyms and we disinfect everything after use (as we always did before anyway) but it feels nice to be doing something.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    I think I might just start saving my monthly gym membership and buy an olympic bar and some weights for home use. Seems like I might be able to pay for the equipment quicker than this virus is ever going to disappear!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    I live in a hotspot of COVID activity, but fortunately I prefer working out at home and already had all the equipment I needed before the shutdown. I've been doing a slightly modified version of SL with fewer squats and the addition of hip thrusts.
  • HawkingRadiation
    HawkingRadiation Posts: 31 Member
    bex1086 wrote: »
    I started doing it back in January but had to take a couple of weeks off then I restarted. Was going well until the gyms shut. They are open again now but with it being the school holidays my schedule is too erratic with the kids at home and me working evenings so I'm going to have to wait until September to restart properly.

I'm determined to get on and finish it at some point in the near future. The virus poses no real threat to me so I'm just at mercy of the government deciding to shut things down again.

How does the virus pose no threat to you?
  • bex1086
    bex1086 wrote: »

How does the virus pose no threat to you?

Because it's highly unlikely I'm going to die from it, certainly no more than any other virus. Life is for living, I could crash my car tomorrow and get killed or suffer horrific life changing injuries, life is full of risk, can't avoid it forever.

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I've got a pretty good home gym set up luckily, so everything I need here. The gyms are open most places here in Australia, and there has been no cases at all in my area in months....but still much prefer to workout at home. Pretty sure people at the gym would judge me for rocking up to the squat rack in my jammies...
  • bex1086
    jesslifts wrote: »
    I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for around 5 months, stopping for 4 months over COVID-19 lockdown. our gym just opened up (with social distancing and disinfection procedures) last week so I'm back on it. I managed to make some real change to my body last time round so hoping to get back to where I was.

To the lady stating that virus doesn't pose a real threat, I'd urge them to read thew new information about long term heart damage that's occuring in people who recover from the virus, whether they were at experiencing milder symptoms home or hospitalized. There's a good article on the People website.

I have done and I'm very happy with my stance on things because like I said, I could fall down the stairs, crash my car, choke, all these things could mean I suffered brain damage, some form of paralysis.

I'm not advocating a mass gathering but I can't stay locked up forever, I will actually go insane.
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    I've been doing it about 3 weeks now :) Enjoying it but need to watch the videos again.
    I find the sq/press/dl day so easy but the sq/bench/row one so hard.
    I am mildly hypermobile so I find it quite hard to control my elbows in those movements !