Protein powder ... Yes or No

Options
Hello there..

Did some reading up on protein powder, whether or not to incorporate into my diet. My thinking is when I take protein packed foods eggs, mackerel, Greek yoghurt etc. Seem to keep me fuller for longer. So would having say 250ml-400ml of semi skimmed milk and some protein powder have the same affect ??? Make it into some kind of shake. So What's your thoughts on this, any advice grateful.

Thanks
Wayne

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I use unflavored collagen protein. I can add it to coffee, tea, oatmeal, pudding. Smoothies, pretty much anything it will mix into. I like it because it adds protein to stuff I am already eating and helps me hit my protein goals.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I experimented with it a while back, but I found that if I have milk AND Greek yogurt with my oatmeal, low-sodium turkey for lunch, and meat or fish with dinner, I'm more than covered in the protein department!

Of course, if you struggle to get your protein, that's an argument for protein powder!
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel if you can get your protein from whole food sources and are not an "athlete" it's not a necessity in your diet.

I can meet my protein goals and am definitely not an athlete so I do not use it regularly. I do like it if I know I'll be low protein for a day, or have a day where a protein shake will be easier because of an absolutely crazy schedule, but that is rare.

I'm a fan of use it when you need it.
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals, are you looking to build muscle? Or just lose/maintain weight?

If you’re already getting in your requirements through foods, then stick to that - it will fill you more through food!
    The powder is more for when hitting protein goals from food alone is too difficult.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    For me, protein packed “chewable” food keeps me fuller longer.

I started my day for eighteen months with an variation of an almond milk & banana smoothie (no powders). No way would I substitute a shake or smoothie for lunch or dinner. I’d be ready to fight somebody an hour or two later.

But that’s just me!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »
    Personally I feel if you can get your protein from whole food sources and are not an "athlete" it's not a necessity in your diet.

I can meet my protein goals and am definitely not an athlete so I do not use it regularly. I do like it if I know I'll be low protein for a day, or have a day where a protein shake will be easier because of an absolutely crazy schedule, but that is rare.

I'm a fan of use it when you need it.

Humans have thrived all over the world on a wide variety of diets. IMO, there is no necessary human food, there are only necessary nutrients and we can typically get what we need from a wide variety of foods.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Jumping onto this thread. For those of you who consume protein powder, does it taste of anything? I was wondering if I could work it into my normal cooking for a cheat's way of getting extra protein, or if it would change the taste/texture drastically.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Jumping onto this thread. For those of you who consume protein powder, does it taste of anything? I was wondering if I could work it into my normal cooking for a cheat's way of getting extra protein, or if it would change the taste/texture drastically.

They make flavored and unflavored. In my experience, the flavor of the flavored ones can be mild to quite strong. The unflavored ones I don't taste at all, but depending on what you're cooking, you may notice a difference in texture.
  • huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my morning smoothie for two reasons. One is to increase my protein intake. I also am meant to have 1,000mg of calcium per day. I can't stand milk so I have almond milk in my smoothie to help me with that goal.
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A few weeks I bought Whey Isolate powder in vanilla flavor (they only had flavored ones in the store) . And so far all the times I used it I did experience quite a bit of bloating and it doesn't taste that great either.

I bought it because I have trouble meeting my protein goal. But due all the bloating I hardly use it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I use unflavoured. It has a slight milky/nutty taste, some brands are a bit bitter because there is no lactose like you would get with milk. Depending on what I mix it with I don't really taste it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I use protein is two major ways. Protein milkshakes and add it to my Greek yogurt. I have used a variety of flavors so i can have different shakes nightly.

I do a modified keto diet (CKD to be specific with periodic diet breaks). I run higher protein than most keto'ers as i run around 1-1.2g per lb (~30-40%); so 170-200g.

6zm12oidi1p7.jpg

8hrqzk6iw39o.jpg

Recipes, please😋