Anyone have Binge Eating Disorder Success stories (BED)

Replies

• KellyMccoy2
    KellyMccoy2 Posts: 2 Member
    I have just started MFP calorie counting again, (lost 5lb last week) I find I do better on MFP as I'm not following a diet as such, I eat what I want. I know if I have bad foods then I cant eat alot and I like to eat a lot lol

If I do binge but in a wise way, I try to limit it and then rein it back in over the next few days.....

So What I do for example is have 2 brown toast, with 2 eggs then have a huge portion of mushrooms and tomatoes with it, Then lunch & dinner something similar but with huge portions of salad (I make a lush dressing that is 0 calories) and if I have veg I have lots of them! (Corn,parsnips, peas, cabbage, carrots, asparagus, green beans and use veg stock on them tastes so much better! I buy 64 cal choc bars or mini treat size chocolate, mini bags of popcorn approx 100 calories, 80-90 cal crisps, 80-100 cal mini ice cream sticks (mini milk lollys from Aldi are 30 calories!!!! so I can have 3 and think Im being really bad lol) so nothing is off the menu and I still get to binge a bit (or it feels like it) and Im still losing.

Good luck xx
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    And since this is a success story forum, yes, I did go through multiple (I was going to say hundreds, but thinking about it we may well be talking low four digits over the decades) of substantial over-eating episodes in my life.

Yes, they were a large part of why I got to be obese. Not the only part. But a very substantial part of the equation if we consider them to be concentrated time periods where more than 2-5K calories of food were ingested.

Did weight loss fully eliminate them?

Fully? No. If I let myself get too hungry (and in particular too tired) and do not engage in any mitigation then a 15 to 30 minute 2K calories experience is still a definite possibility!

Does it happen often? Not any more! Definitely nor often enough to affect my weight management, or my goals, or to impede life in any which way--so I would say that things are OK!

• 28Haveitall2020
    28Haveitall2020 Posts: 230 Member
    I suffer BED. I've read many books (Brain over Binge etc), had hours of therapy, antidepressants etc. There are times when it is better, times when i spend days in bed, unable to move, putting clothes on is terrifying. The thing is I WANT to binge, just for those few hours where I'm high on all the food. Even if i know ill feel bad afterwards. It feels like a choice, even though I have no power to choose "No".

Weirdly enough i went hiking for 20 days recently, even when i was hungry I ate a small snack and that was it. Lost about 10kgs. I was happy, I was occupied, I got my highs away from food, I slept well for consecutive nights for the first time in years. Now i'm back in the city I said I was not going to binge but i'm lying in bed after about 3000 calories today (and thats an improvement on yesterday) feeling violently sick. I just wonder to what extent for me (and maybe for others) it is environmental. Maybe for me its time for a life change, not just a food change.

For all the people who say there is no cure. Hope that there is for me is what keeps me going, even after 10 years of this, I live in hope that some day things will fall into place and ill be free.

Living in hope is the 1st cure. We all hope for lasting recovery .people don't understand they think it is just excuses to eat carelessly.
  • lafilledelarue
    lafilledelarue Posts: 66 Member
    I've been in a 12-Step Program for 7 years called Overeaters Anonymous. The Program is based on Alcoholics Anonymous, and treats food addiction - which includes binge eating - like a serious addiction (which it is). I encourage you to explore the 12-Step Program of Overeaters Anonymous. The daily reprieve from compulsive eating - whether over or under - is NOT treated via dieting or "white knuckling it." You work the 12 Steps just like an alcoholic, drug addict, compulsive gambler, sex addict, etc. does. Try six meetings. Get a sponsor. If I can be free from the bondage of food addiction, (specifically SUGAR), compulsive eating, and compulsive eating behaviours then you can too. But it's through the 12-Steps. Best wishes to you.
  • LibertyChamp
    LibertyChamp Posts: 71 Member
    edited July 2020
    I’ve been binging on cake for the last two days and I feel terrible. I workout religiously, get my 5k steps in everyday but I can’t control myself around food. I’ve (unsuccessfully) tried to maintain a deficit for the last few weeks but my weekend binging sabotages my weight loss every. single. time. I’m so sick of this never ending binge restrict cycle.

Sorry to hear about the cake attraction. There is a lot of great and inspiring instances in this string. For me, I tend to start stress eating when my life feels stressed. There are the comfort foods that really call out to me like peanut butter cups, calorie loaded ice creams, and kettle potato chips. I use meditation to help level off the waters, so to speak. To help, not delete what is stressful, but instead, how I react to it. Sometimes dealing with an issue straight on with a detached observer perspective is the most effective way. Kind wishes to all. <3
  • rockconner
    rockconner Posts: 75 Member
    I was never diagnosed with BED but all my life I ate as much sugar with flour products washed down by whole milk as my stomach could hold. Often deep into the night so no one would see me. When I started WW I started learning food nutritional values & choosing better foods. After a few days of eating more healthily, my sugar & fat cravings all but stopped. Now they come on infrequently but are manageable.

We CAN manage impulses to binge on even the most fattening of foods.
  • bethharden5965
    bethharden5965 Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2020
    Not specifically BED but bulimia after anorexia and I found that simply letting myself actually eat and learning not to demonise food. Food is your friend once you don’t restrict hard you learn to love it. I put on a lot of weight after ED recovery, but hired a PT (I realise not an option for everyone) and she gave me a calorie restriction of 1650 which is way mor than my old 400-1000 I would restrict in when I was in full ED. It has helped so much in my life and have t binged since I began with her in may, I can’t believe it. Here’s to healthy weight loss!!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    And since this is a success story forum, yes, I did go through multiple (I was going to say hundreds, but thinking about it we may well be talking low four digits over the decades) of substantial over-eating episodes in my life.

Yes, they were a large part of why I got to be obese. Not the only part. But a very substantial part of the equation if we consider them to be concentrated time periods where more than 2-5K calories of food were ingested.

Did weight loss fully eliminate them?

Fully? No. If I let myself get too hungry (and in particular too tired) and do not engage in any mitigation then a 15 to 30 minute 2K calories experience is still a definite possibility!

Does it happen often? Not any more! Definitely nor often enough to affect my weight management, or my goals, or to impede life in any which way--so I would say that things are OK!

Once again you have much insight...after many years I was finally “sort of kind of “diagnosed with this disorder...I didn’t admit it for years only thinking I over ate and ate the wrong things and that I had a big appetite....after going to a psychiatric doctor years ago and having a heart to heart with my primary care doctor who is most supportive, knowledgeable and caring, I admitted I am addicted to food....in a moment of crisis as in tired,frustrated or overly hungry I will consume thousands of calories in a very short time...with the support of MFP and group leaders and persons as yourself I am controlling this more and more...in 15 months I have truly binged five or six times for less than two or three days...I used to binge at least three to five times A WEEK...my doctor and I approximated I was eating almost 7 to 8 thousand calories some days and more!....and then the guilt and shame and being physically sick....

There is a big difference between eating a few cookies and eating a few bags of cookies!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    There is a big difference between eating a few cookies and eating a few bags of cookies!

Hey Connie: I think that similar stories are common to many of people who get to a larger size.

I was a bit late in going back to edit my post after I wrote it a few weeks back. I wanted to go back and highlight what @Duck_Puddle has since talked about: that there is definitely a difference between non BED driven, even if frequently occuring, over-eating episodes, and situations that would be diagnosable as BED.

I think that if someone reads through something like this: https://www.verywellmind.com/diagnostic-criteria-for-binge-eating-disorder-1138164 and has a strong feeling that their reality matches... then they really should engage with a physician because they're probably dealing with more than garden variety over-eating.

Beyond that though... yes, there IS a difference between a few cookies and a few bags of cookies... and under the right circumstances that bag better watch out if it is near me!

Stay in the game and adjust Connie: as long as we're engaged... we're winning! :smiley:
  • conniewilkins56
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Hey Connie: I think that similar stories are common to many of people who get to a larger size.

I was a bit late in going back to edit my post after I wrote it a few weeks back. I wanted to go back and highlight what @Duck_Puddle has since talked about: that there is definitely a difference between non BED driven, even if frequently occuring, over-eating episodes, and situations that would be diagnosable as BED.

I think that if someone reads through something like this: https://www.verywellmind.com/diagnostic-criteria-for-binge-eating-disorder-1138164 and has a strong feeling that their reality matches... then they really should engage with a physician because they're probably dealing with more than garden variety over-eating.

Beyond that though... yes, there IS a difference between a few cookies and a few bags of cookies... and under the right circumstances that bag better watch out if it is near me!

Stay in the game and adjust Connie: as long as we're engaged... we're winning! :smiley:

One doctor I went to see told me he was relieved that I didn’t drink or do drugs!...SMH...I would really be a mess!... sadly or maybe realistically I do have more than the garden variety of over eating!

I read the article and, yeah I got it bad....but hey I am in “ recovery” and “ I am certainly in the game and I will win”

I only wish I had been successful with this venture a long time ago!...I know weight loss won’t completely eliminate my binges but it is the first time I have actually felt like I have some control over them....I do take a medication that has helped with anxiety, depression and some pain...

Later, C
  • conniewilkins56
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!