In Need of Comfort/Moral Support

Options
I am very depressed tonight! You see, I'm a teacher. When I started MFP this summer I was on a roll....it was not so difficult when I had all the time in the world (or so it seems now). Since school started, however, my mojo has been shot. My workouts have dwindled as I have ZERO energy left at the end of the day.

I don't really stop from the time I wake up (around 6am) until both kids (3 1/2 and 6 months) are in bed (9:30pm). Then it's washing bottles and prepping for the am. And I'm actually lucky....my husband usually cooks AND does dishes. The only time to workout seems to be either now (10pm) or at 5:30am, which is highly unlikely considering I only get about 6-7 hours of sleep. Any less than that and I'd be one crabby, crappy teacher.

Upside is, I'm too depressed to even think about comfort food right now. But at this rate I definitely won't lose another ounce! :sad:

Replies

• SwoleBro
    Options
    Think positive and keep up the good progress :flowerforyou:
  • blowmeaway
    Options
    I feel ya! Please take the time for yourself and get the kids in bed earlier is my advice. I have to do my workout in the morning or it doesn't get done. I owe myself that time and your family owes you that time. Myself, I feel so much better if I exercise in the morning and I have more energy to get thru the day...that's just me. Good luck!
  • wutamunkee
    wutamunkee Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    YES, you WILL!! Keep positive and know how far you have come and know that you can do this... If you dont have much time, do better exercise... I am doing Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and it is only 20 minutes... it is a KILLER!

Also, pre-plan your meals out and prepare for them so you dont make bad decisions at the last minute.

You can do this. Set a great example for those kids you teach... and more importantly YOUR OWN!!
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You have already met two of your minigoals!!! You are doing a lot better than me. It IS hard to find time to work out when you have kids AND work outside of the home, and it's also hard to make food that is healthy for you that will work for the rest of the family, I totally sympathize. All that aside, you should be really proud of everything you have accomplished. I would be!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just started a new job, and I understand how difficult it is to work, be a mom, and try to work out. Does your gym have a kids club? My daughter LOVES the kids club and I get me time while she plays...that makes it MUCH more possible.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it's usually more about what goes in your mouth, than making sure you exercise everyday. With all the moving around you do all day and going non stop, I'd say you're burning more calories than you realize.
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    Is your profile pic you? If so, you look awesome for having a baby!!!! Try something small..walking on your lunch around the school, doing some quick exercises while the kiddos are awake..my little ones love to "exercise" with me. As long as you continue to eat right, you will gain some energy back once you get into the routine of school again :-)
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher who'd lost 10 pounds over the summer, and now I've gained 2 back since starting school a month ago. It's tough. It seems like I'm starving most of the day even though I'm consuming more calories on average than I did during the summer. I changed my calories to maitenance tonight because I'm getting frustrated with exceeding them. Though I still exceeded for today, I'm hoping that just staying within will keep me stable for a while.
    I think the reality is we're not going to be able to maintain the same level of exercise as we did when we were off for the summer. I always say that life's so much easier when you don't have to work. :)
    Plus beginning of the school year is one of the busiest/most stressful times.
  • There are plenty of us in the same boat. I work full-time and have two toddlers and my down-time is usually after about 9:30pm when I'm beat. So far I've had the flexibility to exercise though. I've had bouts of temporary depression but there is nothing more uplifting than success and feeling some sort of personal accomplishment - even if it's little accomplishments.

Do what you can do. If you can't find time to exercise, don't exercise (you probably burn off a heck of a lot of calories being a teacher as opposed to us sedentary desk jockeys). Just stick to your diet. If you're sticking to your diet, you're still progressing!

Keep your head up - you've lost a ton so far and you'll get through this rough spot!
  • simone_84
    simone_84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Its much easier to become discouraged than it is to get motivated, at least in my opinion. You need to find something that will work for you and your busy life! Its hard when you're exhausted but I usually find that if my energy is zero getting up and doing something makes me feel more energized. Funny how that works...Maybe you can sneak out for a quick walk after dinner or when the baby is napping or find a good 30 minute dvd? I know when I'm at work I'll sometimes walk the halls when I have a few free minutes or even go run the stairs. In an 8-10 hour day even those 5 minute excursions will add up and its better than nothing. If it weren't for the childcare at the Y I would probably never have a chance to get in a workout! Just keep your head up and find something that works for you =)
  • marjen002
    Options
    Lots of wonderful advice! THANKS!!!! It means a lot right now.
  • Robert824
    Options
    I would definitely start by looking at your maintenance and possibly change your calorie goals, but also, try wearing a pedometer, I think you will be surprised at how many steps that you are accumulating per day, I know it is not hard core exercise but it is still calories burned. Please don't be discouraged, hang in there you will find a way to balance work and home. :flowerforyou:
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you can be tired and crabby and depressed due to lack of exercise or be a little bit sleep deprived and exercise, and go to school with an endorphin high and feel great about yourself. Plus exercise helps you sleep better. If you can work out on the week-ends than only workout 2-3 weekdays and maybe the sleep deprivation won't be too terrible.
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat (school psychologist intern). It is VERY difficult to keep up with it, but as someone else on here said, you will have to get up earlier. If I don't do it in the morning there is no other time in the day for me to do it, as well as get the kidsd down earlier! Maybe you will have to change your goals a bit to achieve them at a slower pace, but just keep logging at the very least so you know what's going in. Feel free to add me :)
  • snowintx
    snowintx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too. I lost 6 pounds this summer, but as soon as school started, eating habits and exercising habits changed! I totally understand! On my planning periods, sometimes I log onto pandora.com and listen to disco while I work and usually dance around...the music gets me going. I've also being drinking a ZipFizz energy drink in the afternoons to give me energy for my family once I get home from school. Keeps me from wanting to just lay on the couch when I get home because school zaps all my mental and physical energy. There are teachers who walk together at my school, so maybe you could walk sometime...???

Hang in there!
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    Sounds to me like you should give up. You're not as important as everyone else anyway. Not to mention, you have to create and/or modify lesson plans, constantly alter your delivery based on ever-changing audience needs, manage the logistics of a classroom, etc. You're just not capable of altering your fitness and meal plans. Sorry, there's no place on here for teachers....

:laugh:

Is that what you wanted to hear there Ms. highly educated, self-directed, self-motivated leader of developing minds?!?

You my dear NON-friend are an A**! In case you haven't noticed, this is the MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT forum. I'm not complaining about my profession or my personal life. I am seeking a bit of camaraderie. There's no place here for people like you - plain sad human beings.

2nd that! Who do you think you are- going to a motivation and support forum and leaving smart@ssed, childish insults? This isn't MyFratBoyPal.com.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I can relate to have "zero energy" to workout at the end of the day (working long hours and having children as well). Getting back into the swing of things when your routine changes can be hard, but it's important to make time for yourself as well. My suggestion to you would be, take a walk. After the kids are in bed, go for a 15-20 minute walk to get some fresh air and clear your head.

Maybe it's not the "workout" you are used to, but I know that it always makes me feel better.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all that you do! You are making a big differance in many lives! Maybe long work out periods are just not possible right now, but 10 min. walks add up, as does doing a few squats before you climb into bed at night, it all adds up more then we realize. After you get used to your new schedule you may find more bits of time. We have to take care of ourselves to take care of others better. Good luck you can do it!
  • marjen002
    Options
    Again, thanks to all of you for your kind words and support. That is why I love MFP! I will be taking all your advice in order to figure out how to adapt to this new schedule. Feeling better already....you guys ROCK!! GN! :wink:
  • karenkwalker
    karenkwalker Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can meet your weight loss goals without exercise - so just do the best you can and watch your calories! You can do this!