thyroid problems

Options
I have an underactive thyroid which makes it more difficult to lose weight. I also have a wheat intolerance has anyone had weight loss success with these problems. I feel like im getting know where losing 2lb only to put it back on within the week even though i am following a low fat diet.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Are you taking any medication for your thyroid, and do you use a food scale and count your calories?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have an underactive thyroid which makes it more difficult to lose weight. I also have a wheat intolerance has anyone had weight loss success with these problems. I feel like im getting know where losing 2lb only to put it back on within the week even though i am following a low fat diet.

Your weight will fluctuate all the time, if you are quickly losing and gaining 2 lbs over and over again that's probably just water weight.

Is your thyroid condition well controlled with medication?
    How much weight are you trying to lose?
    Are you consistently in a calorie deficit?
    How do you measure out your portions?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    ^^What they said. Also, fat doesn't make you fat, it's about eating the right amount of calories. You need fat in your diet.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    "Underactive thyroid" is treated with synthroid to bring your thryroid levels back to normal. This is something a physician diagnoses through blood tests. If a "weight coach" of some sort tells you that your "underactive thyroid," which they have diagnosed without a blood test, is preventing you from losing weight it is just so much unscientific woo. I have half a thyroid (surgery removed the rest) and take a daily synthroid to keep my thyroid levels normal. When I consume fewer calories than I expend, I lose weight.

Low fat diets for weight loss reflect an older, now superseded understanding of how dietary fats work. A healthy diet requires reasonable consumption of fats, preferably mono- and polyunsaturated fats. As said above, fats don't make you fat. For more up-to-date information on fats, see https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol and https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2012/06/21/ask-the-expert-healthy-fats/
  • lynndforbes
    lynndforbes Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thank you to everyone for your support your replies have inspired me to carry on trying to lose weight, :)
  • sakurablossoms82
    sakurablossoms82 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have the same condition and I take medication for it. I always had the same mindset like it's too hard because I have this but since I really did put my mind to it and started tracking what I ate I have been losing weight ever since. Sometimes it's only 200 grams a week but it's something. This in combination with being vegetarian is sometimes a bit hard because I do use soy and such which seems to be the devil when you have this but do far its okay I guess.