Words of motivation needed!! Gained 6 of my 20 back.

Options
What are your ideas for getting back on track? I’ve been going through a lot emotionally and I just feel drained and like I have no energy or motivation to workout. I’ve had 2 extra kids at our house on top of my 5 and I’ve just been not eating well or having the motivation to workout. I’ve gained 6-8lbs if my 20 lost and I’m so upset by my poor choices of eating and not working out. I’ve gone back to snacking late at night when I can’t sleep. Also, we live in lower Alabama so our humidity makes it impossible to run outside or even walk without being drenched in sweat the moment I walk outside- we are talking temps of 89-92 with the feel like temps at 100-104. I have a gym membership but my husband works on a boat for 21 days and is home 21 days so I can’t really go unless he’s home because our oldest is almost 13 and I don’t want him to have to “babysit”. I’m just seriously lacking motivation and energy! Please comment or offer advice!

Also, please feel free to friend request me. I could use some friends and seeing some motivation to help me along :)

Replies

• klittgetfitt
    klittgetfitt Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love the rephrasing of the title!!! ♥️
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You really do have so much going on right now. In your position, I think I'd try to make small, easy adjustments that fit in with your life style. You can get 5-10 minute HIIT workouts online, using just your own body weight. They are amazing. Try a few to find ones you like - just 5 mins a day will give you extra energy and strength. Then you could add a 5-10 minute yoga stretch calm down at the end of the day.

Are there any physical things you can do with that big crowd of children you are caring for? Tough if it's hot, but is there a swimming pool or a shady park where you could play frisbee with them, or woods you could all walk in together?

And can you make a list of small ways to unwind your stress levels that don't include eating. A cool shower, watch a rerun of a favorite comedy program, light a candle and say a prayer if you are religious or do a short meditation, play some favourite uptempo music from your youth and dance around the kitchen etc.

And when your husband is home, grab your towel and hit the gym every day for an hour. You have the membership and he will appreciate you if you are happier, fitter, stronger and more chilled while he's home.
  • looneycatblue
    looneycatblue Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 14 lb loss, that is great! Don't fret about the 6+, I think a lot of us have gained some back (5 for me), partly due to the extra stress of the Covid-19. But adding 2 more children to your group is definitely going to add to the stress. All 13 and under??? Wow, you are brave!

Kids have so much energy, maybe you can find some indoor physical activities that you can join them in? Duck, Duck, Goose, House walking while doing silly movements, Follow the leader... just some thoughts. :)
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    With 2 extra kids on top of your own 5 kids, I’m truly amazed that you stopped gaining back at 6-8 pounds! You stopped yourself and reached out for support. That’s more than most people do in times of stress! Give yourself some credit!
    I know the heat is something to contend with; that’s why I start my jog before the sun is even up. It’s still quite humid though. We all have to make sure we take in extra water to compensate.
    Another thought- sometimes kids have a blast of joining in and doing a workout video if they see a Mom or adult doing it. Especially if they can “best them” in any way!
    Good luck!
  • applekandi
    applekandi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you on the stress factor! I lost 30 pounds last year because of a new active job and eating better. Then covid hit and I started working from home( I am a teacher). I started eating bad and was way less active. On top of that I had a skin cancer scare that required surgery, which made me even more sedentary. I gained 8 pounds from March until this month. I am back at it starting this week. One thing that has helped me is to pre-log my food the day before and stick with what I logged. I know in the heat of the moment (and stress!) I tend to make bad food choices, but if my food is already planned it isn't an issue for me. Give it a try :smile: . As for working out, there are some great, and free, youtube workout videos that you can do from home. You would be amazed what body weight exercises can do!
  • Melly045
    Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It’s not too late to reverse the weight gain these are tough times so be kind to yourself take it none choice at a time
  • summeroflove99
    summeroflove99 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I just want to say that you are amazing for taking care of 7 children (I mean that sincerely). The fact that you have put on 6-8lbs is understandable as things are not easy for you at the moment, but it’s ok because you have still lost 14 lbs (a whole stone in U.K. speak!) and you are taking steps to move in the right direction again by reaching out for support

I don’t have much to offer in the way of tips for fitting in exercise (except possibly getting the littlest kids to join you in a disco to burn some calories or giving them a duster to help while you get your chores done) but to be honest, although exercise is important for health etc, whilst your husband is away maybe you could focus primarily on diet and then hit the gym with a vengeance when he’s back. I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago with virtually no exercise. It was Winter time (no gym membership, working full time, cold nights, dark by 4.30pm). I ate a LOT of soup and managed to stay within my calorie allowance and the weight came off.

I know it’s mostly about finding the right head space but you can do it. Having some people to cheer you on and maybe to help you feel accountable in some small way would probably help :) Am sending you a friend request as I need all the cheerleading I can get and am also quite a good cheerleader :)

• rudegirltoy70
    rudegirltoy70 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I lost 15lbs and gained 7lbs back! I’m not giving up! I’m claiming a small victory!! We can do this!! Keep pushing!!!
  • lyonsslade
    lyonsslade Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I understand also and the replies are great. Instead of trying to fix all the challenges maybe work on one like the late night eating. I started doing that myself until I realized I was just creating a bad habit - I surely wasn't hungry, so I just stopped. Easier said than done I know. At least you realize you are trying to feed emotions, which we all know doesn't work even though we try.

[edited by MFP mods]
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazingly. 6lbs back is small compared to the 20lbs lost.

When I'm struggling with motivation I give myself a week or two where I just track everything. I don't stress myself about going under calories I just work on tracking. I also make sure I track just before eating something. It really does help me to get into the "worth the calories?" mindset. I find myself putting stuff down automatically because I'm surprised by the calories in it. Then at the end of that time I do a review over my days and try to think of simple changes - "right I had 4 biscuits, next time could I have 2 instead? I had a lot of bread - could I swap that sandwich to be open face so I only have one slice there?"

In terms of exercise I would recommend yoga whilst you're concentrating on self care. I did yoga with Adriene (all free on YouTube) and saw a huge improvement in my mood and stress levels. She's got lots of short ones too if you can only find 10 minutes. Maybe before your evening Snacking to try to help you with the cause of the Snacking - ie being stressed and knackered.

You'll get there again - you've already done a fab job so you have the tools. Be kind to yourself.