What is a good breakfast food that is...

Options
low in calories and great for energy??

Replies

• Markus718
    Markus718 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That is a wide open question....... It depends on what diet you wish to follow.

Many will say "have a yogurt" or fruit. For me, I am doing a low-carb / moderate protein diet. My breakfast for the last 3 months has been either 3 fried eggs with peameal bacon, or a three egg cheese omelette. In either case, it is around 300-400 calories, depending on how much cheese or bacon you use. (Sometimes I will substitute breakfast sausage for bacon.)

One thing is for sure.... I am not hungry between meals, and I have LOTS of energy now that I am not dependant of carbs. On average, I am loosing about 3 - 4 pounds a week.
  • allybub
    Options
    i have porridge made with semi skiimmed milk and a little sqirt of maple syrup or whole meal toast i have heard that fruit for breakfast kick starts the metabolism perhaps have this as an addition as i find fruit not very filling. Cant beat porridge on a cold wet winter morning.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Caffeine!

but more seriously, greek yogurt topped with granola/cereal/fruit of your choice
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Easy. You need Power Muffins. They can be made on the fly in 3-5 mins and only require a coffee cup and microwave.

Ingrediants:
    2 egg whites
    1 scoop of chocolate whey protein powder
    1 Tbsp of creamy peanut butter (semi-melted)
    1 Tbsp of Honey

Step 1: Combine all the ingrediants in a regular sized coffee mug, and stir them up for a couple seconds with a fork.
    Step 2: Microwave on High for 60-75 seconds.

The muffin will expand over the rim of the mug while cooking, but it won't spill and make a mess. When it's done cooking take it out of the coffee mug and cut into 2-3 "power muffins".
  • mnec2010
    mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    those actually sound good! do you know how many calories they are?
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Bumpers
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    One of my "usual" breakfasts is a low-carb tortilla (80 calories), 1/4-1/3 c of egg beaters (30 cal), a smear of spicy fat free refried beans (25 cal) and 2oz of Melissa's soyrizo (precooked) (120 cal). Delicious, filling, full of protein and fiber for 255 calories.
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup fiber one cereal original, ground flax, 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of milk. It fills me, satisfies me, is low cal (188) is half the fiber for the day, the flax lowers cholesterol. I eat my yogert (35cal) mid morning for my snack... keeps feeding my metabolism and it works for me ;)
  • andeygirl
    andeygirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Easy. You need Power Muffins. They can be made on the fly in 3-5 mins and only require a coffee cup and microwave.

Ingrediants:
    2 egg whites
    1 Tbsp of Honey

Step 1: Combine all the ingrediants in a regular sized coffee mug, and stir them up for a couple seconds with a fork.

The muffin will expand over the rim of the mug while cooking, but it won't spill and make a mess. When it's done cooking take it out of the coffee mug and cut into 2-3 "power muffins".

Sounds interesting!
    I'll have to give it a try.
  • titletown
    titletown Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Ingrediants:
    2 egg whites
    1 Tbsp of Honey

This sounded so good, I just had to try it.

Hint: Use a very large coffee mug as mine came quite a bit up over the top ;)

It was fantastic.

Mine ended up being:

322 calories
    28 grams of carbs
    60 grams of cholesterol
    38 grams of protein
    250 mcg sodium
    2 gram of fiber

I only ate half as my calories were pretty depleted on the day, but I would imagine that a whole one would be quite filling.

I gave the other half to my son and he even liked it.

Thanks!!
  • karmelkat20
    karmelkat20 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i came here specifically to ask this question... lol glad you beat me too it because you got alot of great responses
  • letsgetserious
    letsgetserious Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Those power muffins sound good. just printed off recipie...

cant wait to try them tomorrow.... thanks :)

BUMP........
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bumpin for muffins! Sounds awesome, thank you for sharing!!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what you consider low calorie, but I get pretty good mileage (energy-wise) out of a good old fashioned bagel with cream cheese.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Carbs totally defeat me.

I have to keep it high in protein and low carb.

Perfect for me is one or two eggs (whole egg) three slices of center cut bacon and coffee with nonfat milk.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have plain greek yogurt with whatever fresh fruit I have on hand. If I don't have any, I top it with some granola.

When I am racing or doing a long run I eat raw, uncooked oats and vanilla soy milk, with some almonds, raisins, and chia seeds stirred in. :bigsmile:
  • Shellitz
    Options
    I am terrible at eating breakfast. I have always struggled with 'the most important meal of the day', even as a kid. I find that the absolute only way I can at least have something is to have an Up & Go breakfast drink. I opt for the Up & Go Vive line as its a lot less cals than the original line.

Lazy - but the thought of chewing through any food in the morning makes me gag (even though I actually like the food at any other time of day!)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Banana, coated with peanut butter, coated with granola with a glass of milk.