Uncommon meat selection

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Bought the venison but ground meat version was all I saw at the store. Suggestions??

Burgers. I tried first a couple of years ago and was surprised how good they were.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    I love gam. Deer, moose, even bear. I love deer jerky. I have also tried horse which is really good when well prepared.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Ha! I have also had horse in steak form. It was lean tbh.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    I've been in France for 3 days so far. And so far I've eaten gésiers (gizzard), escargots and andouille. French food is awesome :lol:
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Is it weird that the only thing that is freaking me out is the turtles? I’m pretty adventurous, and I’ve tried a lot of the things mentioned here, but turtle sounds like a no fly zone for me.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    You should see the other thread LOL The original poster opened up 2 identical thread in this same recipes forum back to back (not sure why) so there's actually more answers and pictures there
  • alexmose
    i just had some duck breast (not common for me) from the oven. meh it was OK.

so real reason i started this thread was b/c essentially, my mom's definition of red meat was chicken breast so i grew up not eating much outside chicken breast, salmon, shrimp, and ground beef....literally that was it. so glad you all came back with awesome ideas.
  • applekandi
    applekandi Posts: 26 Member
    Moose. I worked summers in Alaska and it was a staple. Honestly, I enjoyed it more than beef :smile:
  • alexmose
    edited July 2020
    applekandi wrote: »
    Moose. I worked summers in Alaska and it was a staple. Honestly, I enjoyed it more than beef :smile:

Ohhh adding to the list!!
    Not sure what i should try next .so many options!!
  • dr_mundo
    dr_mundo Posts: 24 Member
    Horse meat is also really good, but takes some time to prepare it properly
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    dr_mundo wrote: »

What do you mean, time to prepare properly?
    We have a few restaurants here that only serve horse meat, but always grilled just like beef steak.
  • alexmose
    Lietchi wrote: »
    dr_mundo wrote: »

What do you mean, time to prepare properly?
    We have a few restaurants here that only serve horse meat, but always grilled just like beef steak.

Love good horse steak.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    I no longer live near my family but when I did I had deer on a regular basis. I did just about the same things I did with beef but my favorite way is.
    Mix flour, johnny seasoning, black pepper, with garlic and onion powder. Toss the steaks in that mix. Pan fry in olive oil. Cook to your desired doneness. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Bear meat? Honestly I'm not that much of a fan. I prefer it mixed with other meats in a summer sausage or pepperoni stick. But it's really important to cook bear all the way through. Treat it like your grandparents treated pork.

Elk same as deer.

I've had gator but at a fair on a stick. Honestly really liked it. Strange combo of chicken and fish. Don't have someone to get it from yet so I don't have recipes.

Grouse. Treat it like a tiny chicken.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    eryn0x wrote: »
    Is it weird that the only thing that is freaking me out is the turtles? I’m pretty adventurous, and I’ve tried a lot of the things mentioned here, but turtle sounds like a no fly zone for me.

Same. I'll try just about anything but there's something about turtle meat that sounds off. I felt that way long before I even got a pet tortoise. They are just in the no eating zone.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    I love scrapple, a mixture of different pig offal, spices, and cornmeal. Though I've never made it from scratch, I always just buy it in the store.
  • alexmose
    MollyJE19 wrote: »
    I love scrapple, a mixture of different pig offal, spices, and cornmeal. Though I've never made it from scratch, I always just buy it in the store.

Didn't realize this is what scrapple is! I ate it a lot as a kid!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Ooooh awesome thread to stumble upon!! - K have always wanted to try moose....

Elk and caribou are tasty... Pheasant is also great!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    joshchapo wrote: »
    (...) I’ve had lambs +cow tongues with my father who will eat anything!! Anything!! Lol (...)

Wait... is tongue an "uncommon" meat? Ate it a lot growing up, especially pork, and the only reason I don't cook it that much is that it takes forever.

In fact, cold tongue folded in a mayo sauce with potatoes, carrots and parsnips is one of my favourite dishes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    holly8312 wrote: »
    @MaltedTea I was semi-joking to be honest! I live in Edinburgh so you see haggis spiced chocolate and things in a lot of the tourist shops but I'm not all that surprised you can just buy the raw spices. Might get some myself, it would be great with chicken and lentils.

On that note, haggis is delicious, and Scottish, spicy, and offal-y 😛

Mackies Haggis and cracked black pepper crisps are the best! I think I need to ask someone to send me a care package again.
    The farmers market underneath the castle has some really lovely things. I bought a whole rabbit there a few years ago and it was fantastic. Oh, and all those artisan bakeries! The German bakery used to be good, and the one at Gillmore Pl near Viewforth was where I used to buy most of my bread. <3 Food is so good in Scotland. No need for lots of spices if the quality of the food is good.
  • alexmose
    Elk is great in chili!!