Vodka

Options
stevenmwilensky
stevenmwilensky Posts: 1 Member
How is vodka counted. As calories? No carbs? Thanks.

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has calories - about 7kcal/g. I would think carbohydrates in vodka would be vanishingly small.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,497 Member
    Options
    And on a completely different subject (apologies in advance for the potential thread hijack).......

Today is the birthday of both Arnold Schwarzenegger & Terry Crews.

I'll be celebrating with leg day.

Carry on with vodka.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    yqlsfchmdlwr.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How is vodka counted. As calories? No carbs? Thanks.

Alcohol is it's own macro...
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @cwolfman13 is right on! Alcohol is it's own macro! It's been hiding in plain sight in the US for a long time, since beer and wine are not required to have nutrition labeling. Alcohol content of beverages should be listed in grams, just like everything else. Also, the ingredients of beer and wine should be required to be disclosed. I've heard that the cheaper wines have all sorts of crap added to them. Beers have a wide range of possible ingredients. But, vodka is just highly-purified alcohol and water (with flavorings, sometimes).

I still have a lot to learn about alcohol metabolism. The big picture is that alcohol is metabolized in the liver into a form that can be utilized by the body. I understand that it cannot be converted to fat and the metabolic rate is rather slow. In general, it is a poor energy source. So it is a calorie source, but not a carb.

So, when you have alcohol, you need to count the calories. You also need to resist eating all the great snacks that go oh-so-well with alcohol!