Porridge with soy milk issue?

Options
Hi guys

This seems like a weird one. I've recently swapped to soy milk, however one thing I cannot get right is porridge! This is my go-to afternoon snack as it keeps me from reaching for junk foods.

I'm not sure quite how to explain the issue - the oats aren't 'absorbing' the milk? Usually it combines into porridge but I end up with hot milk with oats floating in it. I've tried looking at veggie/vegan websites to see if this is a common issue but it doesn't seem to be! I've tried it both on the hob and in the microwave, and with a few different brand oats. I'm following the same way I've always made it and the way it says to on the packet exactly - I can't work out what I'm doing wrong! Has anyone else encountered this?

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I've made "quick oats" with water, milk, soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, and oat milk without noticing any issue of absorbing the liquid. Maybe try another brand of oats and/or soy milk?
  • saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If oat milk is okay for you, you might have better luck with that. Soy milk's consistency just doesn't seem to lend itself well to blending with things.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've cooked oats in all kinds of plant milk and never noticed it failing to absorb. In my experience, oats will absorb just about any type of liquid.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is actually powdered soy in suspension while most other non-dairy milks are made by soaking and then filtering out the original ingredient like a broth. That may explain the difference. I don't know since I make oatmeal (porridge) with water and then stir other things into it like peanut butter and/or a ripe banana.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I may try it just with water to see if its the oats or the milk. Then I can play around with different types of milk alternatives.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I haven’t had an issue but i usually make overnight oats. Soy milk seems to blend fine.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I usually do water to cook and then plant milk to thin it a bit. I don't like gloppy..
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I always use water - no problem with it making the correct consistency. I generally add protein powder anyway though - either whey protein, or vegan blend.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. I've tried coconut milk and it cooked fine but a little longer than I cook it using normal milk. Plus it tasted delicious