Having trouble eating back the cals

Options
I like to go for long bikerides at night and when I log it, I often find I have a cal deficit too big for me tohandle before bed. Maybe I should start planning my food intake/excersise regimen a little better but because I usually do it on a whim, I'm not prepared. Plus, I'm kinda new at this. Any advice?

Thanks!

Replies

• SaundraU
    Options
    How big is big of a deficit? Remember as long as you hit the required calories for the day the less you eat and the more you burn the more you lose. When I talked to my nutritionist she advised no more then approx 100 of my exercise calories be consumed.
  • jackieb79
    Options
    I have the same trouble... I often don't eat enought calories during the day not knowing if I'll get a chance to exercise in the evening, and when I do - I have a calorie deficit too big to eat back before bed time. I was wondering if it would be ok to eat them back the following day?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Easiest way is to spread your calories out better earlier in the day so you don't have to eat an 800 calorie burn last thing before bed.

Or up your calories in healthy fashions...nuts.. nut butters, avocado.... choosing full fat options of dietary choices like whole milk instead of skim, full fat mayo instead of the reduced fat (and reduced taste) junk, add a teaspoon of olive oil or hemp oil to your cooking...
  • winstonh
    Options
    Okay, I've been trying to eat back ALL the cals burned but 100 is way easier. Today, I have a 400 cal deficit.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How big is big of a deficit? Remember as long as you hit the required calories for the day the less you eat and the more you burn the more you lose. When I talked to my nutritionist she advised no more then approx 100 of my exercise calories be consumed.

It depends on if your nutritionist knew that MFP gave you the original calorie goal that they did based on your chosen rate of loss. Nutritionist could be basing recommendation on eating X amount and using exercise to build the deficit in while MFP works on giving you a deficit to lose weight before lifting a finger in exercise.
  • rhiannonchallans
    Options
    Could you maybe switch your bike ride to the morning? That way you have all day to eat a little bit extra here or there.

OR if you KNOW for a fact that you will be going for a bike ride and know the rough amount you burn, you could pre-emptively eat the calories during the day so you don't feel like you have to stuff yourself at night.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't bother trying to eat back the exercise calories. My base calorie amount, before exercise, is 1600 (very realistic number -- not a strain to hit that number or a smidge under). I'm not psychic, so I don't know how good a burn I'll have when out bike riding or at the gym. So, on workout days, if I go over the 1600 base by any amount up to 150 calories, I don't worry about it. Just my way of doing things... not saying that's what you should do.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    From my experience this seems to happen more often at the begining of a weight loss regimen. Not only based on myself, but other post's I have read. In the begining, I never was hungry, and never ate back the exercise calories. To be honest, my weight loss was incredible. I wouldn't sweat it too much for now, as you get into an exercise routine, my suspicion is that you will be hungrier. I would use the deficit to lose the weight for now, and adjust later. You can take it for what it's worth, but why eat if you are not hungry? I don't put much stock in the "starvation mode" thoerists either. Your body will let you know when to eat. Good luck, your goal is similiar to mine.
  • winstonh
    Options
    From my experience this seems to happen more often at the begining of a weight loss regimen. Not only based on myself, but other post's I have read. In the begining, I never was hungry, and never ate back the exercise calories. To be honest, my weight loss was incredible. I wouldn't sweat it too much for now, as you get into an exercise routine, my suspicion is that you will be hungrier. I would use the deficit to lose the weight for now, and adjust later. You can take it for what it's worth, but why eat if you are not hungry? I don't put much stock in the "starvation mode" thoerists either. Your body will let you know when to eat. Good luck, your goal is similiar to mine.

You make some sense! And thanks all for your advice!
  • smkey
    smkey Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Having some GOOD high cal snacks around like almonds or almond butter is a good way to bump those up pretty speedily. Almond butter with some honey wheat pretzels, an apple, pear, toast.... yummy and great for you!
    And I second cruiseking... I almost never ate my calories back at the beginning but now, I NEED that food.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If your calorie burns are about the same each night you can estimate your burn and add in extra food earlier in the day. I always did that when planning my day the night before.
  • MereMe
    MereMe Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I keep almonds handy! I was 500 short last night so I ate 48 almonds. That gave me back 320 calories at bedtime and didn't leave me feeling stuffed. Avacado is an easy choice too. Walnut all also good choices when you are needing to eat back your calories! Good luck to ya!
  • cruiseking
    Options
    Having some GOOD high cal snacks around like almonds or almond butter is a good way to bump those up pretty speedily. Almond butter with some honey wheat pretzels, an apple, pear, toast.... yummy and great for you!
    And I second cruiseking... I almost never ate my calories back at the beginning but now, I NEED that food.
    Funny how that happens. In the begining I would do 500 calorie rips, and never want to eat back one calorie. The weight flew off for the first three months at a clip of about 10lbs per month. The last 6 weeks I only lost about 7lbs, and eat back every calorie, because my body is calling for more fuel. I am a big advocate of not eating unless you're hungry. The time to wallop those calories is in the begining. I also have found that diligence actually becomes harder, as the workouts get a whole lot easier. I think this is the transition from a weight loss program (diet {I hate that word}), to the begining of a lifestyle change. I think that right now is a more critical time for me, than the begining.
  • cruiseking
    Options
    :smile:
    :smile:
  • cruiseking
    Options
    Me again; I just looked at your daily goal; Wow over 3000 calories with the 1100 earned calories! That is a huge workout. Great Job. But if you were eating 2000 calories I would say that you are good. I wouldn't worry in the least because you are eating "only" 2600 calories. I don't know how much you are trying to lose per week, but I would suspect that at a base of 2000 calories it won't be a whole lot.
  • winstonh
    Options
    I'd be eccstatic if i lost a lb a week!
  • eddiegirll
    Options
    I am not sure but I think you need more water. You always hear about bikers drinking their water! That is the only thing that comes to my mind. So if your drinking adequate amount of water, then there is something else like you'd mentioned about eating earlier. That has always been a great idea to take that walk after dinner, the same with biking I would suppose.
  • KindleBlossom
    Options
    My rule of thumb (gathered from the advice of my nutrition professor last semester) is that if you don't feel hungry, don't eat. MFP is a great tool, but you know your body best. If you were to exercise, and then force the food, all before bed, you'd probably end up feeling a little queasy. I was also reading the other day that people who eat right before sleep are more likely to be overweight (probably because your metabolism naturally slows when you sleep). Just listen to your body. :) Fitness is as individual as you or me.