9/11

Options
JeremiahStone
JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
Ten years ago.. What are your thoughts? How did it affect you?

Replies

• Ashleysh22
    Options
    wow what a powerful topic. I feel as though our country was united for only a short while. It is sad to see that 10 years later, our country is once again so incredibly divided that both major parties in the white house are acting like children.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Can't believe it...I was in fourth grade and remember it like it was yesterday, and now I'm a sophomore in college. That day was indescribable.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Well honestly, my memory of that day has started to fade. I was in the 5th grade and I didn't really understand what was going on. But now that I'm older I have a new outlook. My boyfriend of 6 years is in the Marine Corps, and I stand here everyday watching him fight for our country. Freedom truly isn't free. Every time I see an American flag waving, I am reminded of his and MANY other men and women's sacrifices.

"I'm proud to be an American where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died who gave that right to me. And I'll gladly stand up next you and defend her still today, 'cause there ain't no doubt I love this land. God bless the USA!"
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I remember a few days later sitting in traffic and I was crying. I looked over and there was another lady in the car next to me balling her eyes out. It's been 10 years and thinking about how many people lost their loved ones still makes me cry like it just happened. How do you even survive a loss like that? How does humanity survive a loss like that?
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was in the Air Force at Scott AFB Illinois and watched the second plane hit live on screens at USTRANSCOM.

I'm from Ireland, now a US citizen (was in process during 9/11) and I cried.

That's when I realized that while I was born Irish, I was as American or more than most here. It had a profound impact on my future.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    my thought that day was.....thinking about the loss and the family that was left behind....:frown:
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I was 6 months pregnant with our first child. I was horrified and so extremely sad.
  • candb
    candb Posts: 238
    Options
    I was in my 20's when it happened and I remember being so scared. I was convinced that more attacks were coming and it was going to come across the country. I remember watching the images over and over and being devastated for the families. I can't believe it' was 10 years ago. I just saw images of the towers coming down again and the people jumping out to their deaths and couldn't help but tear up again.
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    I remember that day like it was just a few days ago. At first I didn't understand what was going on, when the first plane hit i thought it was just a freak accident and then i heard about the others. That's the day that everything CLOSED! I remember going to starbucks and they were closed due to what happened in NYC, that's when I knew we were in trouble. And I remember going to work and getting sick to my stomach watching the news replay over and over again the planes crashing into the WTC.

I wanna say THANK YOU to all the miltary people that are serving our country!
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was at home with my son and my wife was at work. I heard on the radio that a plane hit the tower and I turned on the tv, then my wife called to tell me what happened, I was shocked. I also remember going outside and looking at out flag hanging up and just staring at it. My wife saved a few newspapers from that day to show our kids.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I was in 4th grade. I remember all the teachers crying and calling people. Then they turned on the news and it showed one of the planes crashing into the towers. I remember all the boys saying, "Cool!" because they didn't know what was going on, just that there was a lot of fire. I remember the look of absolute pain in my teacher's eyes, and I started bawling because I knew it was something awful. My mom came and got us from school early that day. My memory from then on of that year is pretty foggy. I do know that for a little while, we were the UNITED States of America. Everyone grieved together, cried together, and mourned together. Now we only stand united in remembrance of that day.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I do know that for a little while, we were the UNITED States of America. Everyone grieved together, cried together, and mourned together. Now we only stand united in remembrance of that day.

Nicely stated. Our current situation in terms of politics would do well to remember this!
  • Andythefitfamilyman
    Options
    I can remeber the day like it was yesterday. I was in the 7th grade and I happened to be in the main office because I got into trouble for something. the radio happend to be on when the planes hit the towers. I remeber the look on the secertaries faces and even though I didnt know what was going on, I knew it was bad really bad. My mom picked up from school early and she had been crying your eyes.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i was in 9th grade.. my teacher turned on the tv, and we watched everything.. 2nd hour we had a substitute teacher that never said a word to us, and cried the entire hour.. i remember the rest of the week was really weird..
  • Mucky_Duck
    Options
    I was nine. My mum was in New York on holiday (we are Kiwis). Got the biggest scare to turn on the tv before school to see the news cast and know mum was staying nearby. Thankfully she rang before I had to go to school to let us know she was ok. School was weird that week - mostly we did fun activities and any kids feeling traumatized were taken out of class and got to talk to the counsellor and watch movies.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My alarm clock is set to radio to wake me up in the mornings. That morning when the radio came on the first thing I heard was the announcer talking about the planes hitting the twin towers and my first thought was that it wasn't an accident. It was so hard to force myself to get up and go to work that morning. I walked around in a state of shock for about two or three weeks after it happened and I didn't even know anyone who worked in those buildings. Even thinking about it now makes me cry. :cry:
  • Leslie2273
    Leslie2273 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I recently made friends with a firefighter who lost friends and family who were also firefighters on 9/11 and while I'm usually not a person who is at a loss for words I didn't know what to say. What do you say to someone who lost several loved ones on such a horrific day?

That was such a terrible day. I remember being at work watching what was streaming on the interent until my boss sent us home because he was so upset by the news.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I remember I was just getting to work as they were talking about it.

And....the first plane crashed. We all thought "boy that's weird" and then the second.. and then the Pentagon. It was the scariest feeling I can remember.
    My father worked as an air traffic controller at a base where they had flight schools. There were foreigners throwing "bomb parties" no freaking joke..

But something came out of 9-11 for a while. People were nicer to one another, the world was less petty for a while. We were all united by this fear and this resolve.

I had nightmares for a year about terrorist every single night, I made myself so nervous I had hives, I was convinced those were smallpox.

Suffice it to say, I was a disaster.

I still have no clue whatsoever how to even talk about this with my children one day. Because it still makes me so sad. It still seems so unreal to me.
  • I was a freshman in college, sitting in English class when the professor walked into the class room and told us when the first plane hit the WTC, that his son worked there and class was cancelled. I didn't realize the kind of horror that happened until i seen the 2nd plane hit the second tower. I remember walking aorund for days, just crying thinking about how many people died that day and feeling grateful that me and my family were safe. I still get tears in my eyes thinking about that day. Wow.. 10 years already.. a day I, like many, will NEVER forget. God bless our troops!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    The main thing I remeber that will always stand out to me ,is the muslim family that lived next door having there house vandalized,cars trashed,children attacked,to the point they moved.It brought out alot of goodness but just as much ugliness in people.That is what I will remeber most