Heart Rate

Options
Hey everyone! After gaining quite a bit of weight, I’m back at trying to get myself back on track. My resting heart rate is always between 60-70. I started my exercising journey by jogging 1.7 miles every day. Even at a pretty reasonable speed, my heart rate spikes up to 170-200 (yes, I’m sure it’s accurate) and stays that way through my whole run. It was like this 4 years ago when I was very fit and exercised daily, but I never thought of it as anything because I figured it was good for burning calories. Now that I’m closer to 30 years old, I’m wondering If this is okay. Anyone else experience this?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    How are you sure it's accurate?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    are you using a heart rate monitor with a strap?
  • kaylamariia
    kaylamariia Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    How are you sure it's accurate?
    I have used more than one device to measure and I’ve also checked it myself

• kaylamariia
    Options
    are you using a heart rate monitor with a strap?

I use a wrist watch, I’ve used machines at the gym and I’ve checked myself. It always runs very high with little effort
  • stargirlhorse
    stargirlhorse Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The Mayo Clinic says "You can calculate your maximum heart rate by subtracting your age from 220. For example, if you're 45 years old, subtract 45 from 220 to get a maximum heart rate of 175. This is the average maximum number of times your heart should beat per minute during exercise."

It also says "It's important to note that maximum heart rate is only a guide. You may have a higher or lower maximum heart rate, sometimes by as much as 15 to 20 beats per minute. If you want a more specific range, consider discussing your target heart rate zone with an exercise physiologist or a personal trainer."

I don't know how old you are, but if you're older than 20ish, you may want to ask a doctor or something.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is higher than average. When I exercise hard it goes well above the simplified 220-age formula you sometimes see, and I've pushed it up to at least 200 bpm. Once when I was in the hospital they held me overnight because they were concerned about it, but after doing a dye contrast CT they didn't find anything wrong.

There is a large variation in individual pulse rates, so it's probably nothing to be too concerned about. A high pulse rate doesn't necessarily mean you're burning more calories than someone with a lower pulse rate, though. That's related to how much oxygen you're consuming.
  • kaylamariia
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    My heart rate is higher than average. When I exercise hard it goes well above the simplified 220-age formula you sometimes see, and I've pushed it up to at least 200 bpm. Once when I was in the hospital they held me overnight because they were concerned about it, but after doing a dye contrast CT they didn't find anything wrong.

There is a large variation in individual pulse rates, so it's probably nothing to be too concerned about. A high pulse rate doesn't necessarily mean you're burning more calories than someone with a lower pulse rate, though. That's related to how much oxygen you're consuming.

Thanks for the insight!!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My brother could hit 200+ bpm into his 60's when doing intense cardio - he also has an unusually low resting HR (c. 35bpm).

There's a lot of personal variations - if you don't have any feeling of distress and no adverse symptoms your numbers could well just be normal for you. If you didn't know your heartrate would you have any concerns about pushing too hard while exercising?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    My max hr is a lot higher as well. But I'm fit, and when I stop the activity it comes down quickly. If you don't know how to make sense of it just ignore it.

You become better at running by running longer. You do that by running relatively slow. Slow running is a pace where you're still able to talk in coherent sentences, maybe even sing to music.

You can add a short, fast run every now and then. This would be close to your max. You can't really speak anymore then

And intermediate runs complete the triplets. They are inbetween these two.
  • Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is very high also, I pushed myself on a run once until I thought I couldn't go any further took my heart rate and added 5 beats per min to that and figure that's pretty close to my max!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    As others have said, heart rate maximums don't necessarily fit the formula of 220-age. I am in my 60s and my HR will be in the 170s on a moderate paced hilly run. I average in the 160s. It's in the 180s if I push myself. Run by perceived effort. If it feels easy, so you can speak in whole sentences, then you're running at the right effort. If you are gasping for breath, slow down.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Even at a pretty reasonable speed, my heart rate spikes up to 170-200

200 does seem high for average intensity exercise, so mention it to your doctor. Do you have anxiety issues? That can raise HR during exercise.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yes, do mention it to your physician and see if s/he wants to refer you for testing. I did when no machine could seem to calculate my heartbeat rate accurately -- turns out I had a minor arrhythmia that's fixed with a pill -- but they did, among other things, a stress test. I like to call it my very expensive clean bill of health -- thank goodness I had good insurance.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,804 Member
    Options
    Gosh I thought I was the only older person who averages in the 170s during a moderate paced run. Sort of comforting to read that the there are others like me. I think recovery rates and resting heart rates are also important. At the OPs age, that HR is not scary. I can remember pushing ourselves to hit 200 on runs when we were in our 20's. But everyone is different. I have had a stress echo done previously so I rule out other issues. It might not be a bad idea to visit a cardiologist even if just to get a baseline. Sometimes I wonder if my heart rate is so rapid because of the yo yo ing I have done over my lifetime.
  • kaylamariia
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    My brother could hit 200+ bpm into his 60's when doing intense cardio - he also has an unusually low resting HR (c. 35bpm).

There's a lot of personal variations - if you don't have any feeling of distress and no adverse symptoms your numbers could well just be normal for you. If you didn't know your heartrate would you have any concerns about pushing too hard while exercising?

Great point, if I never physically saw the numbers I would have no concerns at all.
  • kaylamariia
    Options
    As others have said, heart rate maximums don't necessarily fit the formula of 220-age. I am in my 60s and my HR will be in the 170s on a moderate paced hilly run. I average in the 160s. It's in the 180s if I push myself. Run by perceived effort. If it feels easy, so you can speak in whole sentences, then you're running at the right effort. If you are gasping for breath, slow down.

I think my intensity is somewhere in between. I couldn’t have a full seamless conversation, but I’m not struggling to breathe. I’ll try pulling back a bit when I go on my run this evening and see if that helps! Perhaps I just don’t fit the formula either. :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with others here (that 220-age is way wrong for lots of people; that rate of perceived exertion is useful for unusual cases (or anyone, really); and that a high HR without other negative symptoms isn't likely an urgent problem (but is worth asking your doctor about, when you see her/him).

Wanting to add:

* Having a higher heart rate doesn't mean you're burning more calories than someone the same size, doing the same workout, who happens to have a lower heart rate. The work (in pretty much the physics sense of work) determines the energy requirement, the energy requirement is the calorie burn, and heart rate changes only approximately correlate with workload changes in a single individual (and even then it'll change with longer term changes in fitness level). Lots of things drive heart rate changes (heat, stress, dehydration, etc.), pretty much only one of which (oxygen demand) correlates with calorie burn. For most people, despite these issues, the estimates are still potentially close enough to be useful.

* If you suspect you have an unusual heart rate range, but want to be able to use heart rate or similar metrics for training purposes, you might want to consider sports-related testing at a university lab, at some future time. I'd wait until good base fitness is in place, personally, then think about it . . . but some highly-motivated people with spare $$$ like having a baseline for some of the data.

* If you have a statistically unusual heart rate range, it inceases the chances that exercise calorie estimates from heart-rate-based devices will be incorrect. Cross-check with other (non-HR) sources as a reasonableness test.

* Once you've developed reasonable base fitness and endurance, you could consider running some kind of heart-rate max self test. There are various submaximal effort tests for approximating a HRmax estimate, so it isn't necessarily all about reaching max. I don't have a specific one to proposed (used a coach-run rowing machine max test myself), but use a search engine to find one from a university or sports-med practice or something like that.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options

I think my intensity is somewhere in between. I couldn’t have a full seamless conversation, but I’m not struggling to breathe. I’ll try pulling back a bit when I go on my run this evening and see if that helps! Perhaps I just don’t fit the formula either. :)

I'm not a doctor, but heart rates vary a lot and it shouldn't be dangerous if you feel fine. I used to stay around 170 when I ran.

For aerobic fitness, though, it's counter-intuitive but you'll progress faster if you slow down. The reason for this is that when you push yourself, a larger proportion of your energy is coming from anaerobic metabolism so you're actually using you aerobic system less than if you slowed down. The ideal should be somewhere around 70% of your maximum heart rate. I try and keep my heart rate between 120 and 140 when I run (maybe 150 if it's really hot). You should be able to talk easily and breathe normally.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Ditto's to above from tappae.

Even if you have a Honda heart as far as high HRmax and runs higher than average for most activities - that still sounds a bit high.
    Not dangerous, just makes me think it's running that high because you have a poor aerobic base.

Ditto's to Ann thoughts too.
    Several places here run the VO2max tests, sometimes along with RMR test (I just realized I don't hear many posts about that anymore) first.

And OP - don't worry about the formula - for women it's pretty big bell - you have more chances of being outside the 10 bpm calculated than within.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I looked for some other max HR formulas and found this first- runnersworld

"The American College of Sports Medicine recommends formulas with a standard deviation of seven beats per minute such as Gellish and Tanaka equations.

Gellish2: 191.5 - .007 x age^2 = MHR
    Fairburn: 201 - .63 x age for women = MHR
    OR 208 - .80 x age for men = MHR
    Gellish: 206.9 - (o.67 x age) = MHR
    Tanaka: 208 - (0.7 x age) = MHR

But there’s still a problem for the general public when it comes to using these formulas—they’re still just a rough estimate of MHR because differences between individuals can vary widely."

I don't think your numbers are too far off. As others have said there is plenty variation.
    What I find hardly mentioned is cardio drift .
    Mainly due to heat and hydration it seems HR can rise by 10+% for the same load.
    My HR just keeps rising the longer I workout.
    Age predicted is 159 - prev. seen 173, went to 175 last week ??
    Shoots holes in the calories burned "estimates"