Sucralose and/or good electrolyte drinks.

Options
I imagine there are threads and this is probably redundant. Science seems to change daily. I tried some sparkling water drinks but they have sucralose. I feel far better drinking them and wonder if I lack the potassium and pantothenic acid? Suggestions on healthier waters if sucralose is bad?

Replies

• MiaBella444
    MiaBella444 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    From Google research, I came to the conclusion it may be a hot topic, but it would be interesting to read the input. Especially from those who have sensitive stomach issues. Cane sugar for me works best. Sorbitol and aspartame react horribly with me. Sucralose has been iffy. Wonderful for keeping calories down but I have to watch how much I use it.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I like propel waters with electrolytes and they have sucrolose. Orange and grape especially. I went through a spell of the ice sparkling waters before I tired of them, and I use body armour lyte when I'm working hard outside in the heat.

I've tried a few of the unsweetened waters, and they are okay. Hint water is pretty good but it doesn't have the electrolytes.
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Yup, you should always use what works best for you.

Sugar alcohols in foods give me gas if consumed in high quantities. Lol. I can drink tons of water and drinks with sweetener but gotta limit any sugar free sweets that cross my path, which is why I just eat and bake sweets with regular granulated sugars and brown sugars etc
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Love many of those.

But discovered either I forgot which ones I used last summer, or they removed the sodium & potassium from them.
    They kept the B vitamins so I'm sure it's the same ones.
    Really wanted the electrolytes though.

Oh well, small can of V-8 packs them in and probably more than makes up for sweating out 8-9 lbs of fluids on long ride.

Have to try the Propel.
    Cheap, I mean thrifty, is the other goal for them.

Sucralose isn't "bad" as body can't absorb vast majority of it so out it goes. And for some may cause those stomach issues so bad for them.

I only drink a liter of it a day when used, with other drinks so not enough dosage to really know. And I don't feel like testing what I'm not normally going to do.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm an unsweetened seltzer junkie. Just start buying flavored seltzers without the sucralose like Polar, Poland Springs, LaCroix, etc. Hubby and I consume so much seltzer we finally decided discarding/recycling bottles was just too much so we've switched to a SodaStream and make our own. We decided we didn't really like the SodaStream flavors we tried so just buy little squeeze bottles of ReaLime and ReaLemon (reconstituted lime and lemon juice) and add a squirt of that if we feel like it.
  • MiaBella444
    Options
    I'm an unsweetened seltzer junkie. Just start buying flavored seltzers without the sucralose like Polar, Poland Springs, LaCroix, etc. Hubby and I consume so much seltzer we finally decided discarding/recycling bottles was just too much so we've switched to a SodaStream and make our own. We decided we didn't really like the SodaStream flavors we tried so just buy little squeeze bottles of ReaLime and ReaLemon (reconstituted lime and lemon juice) and add a squirt of that if we feel like it.

Thank you for the non sucralose brands. LaCroix I was looking at tonight because we carry them where I work but I didn't have my reading glasses to read the very small print. I became a seltzer fan but only as I got older. Now I find them refreshing.
  • MiaBella444
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Love many of those.

But discovered either I forgot which ones I used last summer, or they removed the sodium & potassium from them.
    They kept the B vitamins so I'm sure it's the same ones.
    Really wanted the electrolytes though.

Oh well, small can of V-8 packs them in and probably more than makes up for sweating out 8-9 lbs of fluids on long ride.

Have to try the Propel.
    Cheap, I mean thrifty, is the other goal for them.

Sucralose isn't "bad" as body can't absorb vast majority of it so out it goes. And for some may cause those stomach issues so bad for them.

I only drink a liter of it a day when used, with other drinks so not enough dosage to really know. And I don't feel like testing what I'm not normally going to do.

Thrifty is good. V-8 has alot of new flavors but they also use sucralose for alot of the newer flavors. Our Pharmacist doesn't seem to think the sucralose is bad but maybe it doesnt make her gassy like it can me. I think I need to make friends with it. Just find the amount I can tolerate and respect the limits.
  • MiaBella444
    Options
    Yup, you should always use what works best for you.

Sugar alcohols in foods give me gas if consumed in high quantities. Lol. I can drink tons of water and drinks with sweetener but gotta limit any sugar free sweets that cross my path, which is why I just eat and bake sweets with regular granulated sugars and brown sugars etc

Agreed. Must be the way it is introduced into your system and how your body reacts to it. Some foods with it put me into digestive chaos and some drinks do not. Alot like following a Low Fodmap diet. Depending on how much you have of something and at what times of day your body accepts a bit or rejects it.
  • MiaBella444
    Options
    I like propel waters with electrolytes and they have sucrolose. Orange and grape especially. I went through a spell of the ice sparkling waters before I tired of them, and I use body armour lyte when I'm working hard outside in the heat.

I've tried a few of the unsweetened waters, and they are okay. Hint water is pretty good but it doesn't have the electrolytes.

I am beginning to think it is the electrolytes I am lacking. Within a half hour of drinking them my head seems clearer and I feel better so I must deprive myself of the B's?