what do you do when you don't feel like exercising?

Options
What do you do when you're not particularly motivated to hit the gym? I'm into week four and am having a hard time sticking to my goal of 5 times a week cardio (2-3 of those workouts include weight resistance training). Any suggestions on making exercise a necessary habit?

Replies

• chillijam1
    chillijam1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    try some fun exercising ,like going on the Wii doing tennis ,bowling or hula hooping ,ive found this tends to help me because like you i get the same feeling ,oh ive got to do the exercising again ,but if i dont do something i feel really bad ,so try this to see if this helps you :happy:
  • Soki_84
    Soki_84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I catch the train to and from work every day - all up bout 40 mins of walking. If i dont catch the train, i dont get to work!! Other options, get off a bus/train stop earlier. I also have DVD's at home which even if i only have 15 mins spare, i'll chuck it on and do a quick session in the comfort of my lounge room when it's wet or cold or super hot.
  • onevision
    Options
    If I don't feel like doing the gym thing or have an injury (sprained ankle at the moment), I do some pilates to a DVD with my wife. Which is funny (she gets to laugh at me rolling like a ball) and I can make it as difficult as I want.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I don't go to gym & just do my exercise at home. On days that I don't feel like working out, I just ask the driver to drop me off a k. away from my final destination & then instead of taking another public transport from there, I just walk another 4 km.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Try different exercises.. You won't do it if it's not FUN!

Try going for a hike, swim, bike ride. Try out some exercises on You tube.. Like strength training, calisthenics or Tabata (circuit training).

I personally can't do the same old exercise .. but if I Absolutely need to I try to cut my time or add more reps to push and challenge myself.. and ALWAYS remember WHY YOU ARE DOING IT!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I go on a walk with my hubby, or roller skating with my boys. Mix it up. It all counts. Excersise DVDs are great for when you're pressed for time, traveling, or need flex exercise hours. You can also jog in place, climb the stairs at work. Just keep moving, have fun, and mix it up! Give swimming a try. I love it!
  • zumba89
    Options
    I I don't feel like going I'll just jog in place for 20 mintues and dance for 5.
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Dance Central on the Kinect!! So much fun. Really doesn't feel like exercising.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    a good old dance can burn some serious cals if you REALLY REALLY can not make yourself exersice!
    or find a exersice you like! no i meen REALLY like! lol
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'll often force the issue myself.

Some of my best efforts in the gym, have come on a day I "didnt feel like it".

:p
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    force yourself to do it everyday... after 5 days in a row you'll be hooked.

We are what we repeatedly do - Aristole
  • mw010545
    mw010545 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

It works every time. And after watching the video a few times now, I find that when I play that song during a workout, I am SUPER motivated.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I refocus on why I'm exercising and how I will feel if I don't exercise. We all have days where we don't want to do it, but we remind ourselves why we need to do it!
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I go the next day.

Better to let motivation build and not use it up if it's in short supply.
    I also have experience in overtraining, so I know low motivation to be one of the symptoms.

One missed workout in ten won't impair your game, but nine in ten will.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    But that can be the problem with some folk.
    Miss one, then it becomes okay ot miss another, etc.

domino effect i find with some people.

Just go a little easier if you cant push yourself like normal. A less intense workout is better than no workout.
    Like i said, some of best efforts have come from workouts i didnt want a part of!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Have some kids!

i go to the gym to get some me time, it works a treat when you have 2 pre-school aged children that drive you bonkers at home all day, so that is my out, that is my time to switch off, stick on the music and ignore everyone without being asked for this or that, without having to clean up after anyone, wipe bottoms, make foods, break up fights and what not.... the gym is bliss!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options

It works every time. And after watching the video a few times now, I find that when I play that song during a workout, I am SUPER motivated.

woah, thats amazing
  • Tabby1980
    Tabby1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just watched that video and am now sobbing! Lol what a great video! Off to read his blog now!
  • M155AUS
    M155AUS Posts: 52 Member
    Options

That is a brilliant video and you know what he's right. If you want to do it, all you've got to do is do it. Thanks for that!
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    i try different things like walking outside, playing soccer, deep cleaning my home. You can also try bowling or skating. All these things are great exercise and you dont need the gym. Some days you just gotta push yourself but also listen to the body if its tired.