Are you back at the gym?

Options

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    My gyms are open here. Only been to my smaller gym that does bootcamp, small group training. I have not used my Classpass account or used my 24 membership because I don't want to make an appointment. I've felt very comfortable. Whatever weights, equipment we use we clean before we put it back.
  • huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK. My gym is at the local university so with no students on campus it's quieter anyway.

I've been swimming for two weeks now and it's fantastic. You have to book, only one person per lane max, can't use the showers.

I've also been to two yoga classes. They've moved classes to much bigger areas, spread everyone out and again you have to book to ensure numbers are kept low. I've not been in the actual gym but from what I've seen and heard it's been really good.

I'm very impressed with what the gym have done and I feel safer there than I do in my local shop! At least in the gym everyone is keeping their distance.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Only once per week to my one on one personal training gym. I won't be going back to my big box gym anytime soon...even at half capacity, there can be around 200 people in there.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I’m in the UK so no mask required
    They have removed a few machines to help with distancing, wiping down every machine and free weight is mandatory, must be costing them a fortune in spray and blue towel. Think I’m also developing liver
    cirrhosis from all the alcohol hand sanitizer 😂
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    watts6151 wrote: »
    Think I’m also developing liver cirrhosis from all the alcohol hand sanitizer 😂

All of the generic sanitizer in the US smells like cheap tequila. Must be the same in the UK.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »

All of the generic sanitizer in the US smells like cheap tequila. Must be the same in the UK.

Me thinks you know the smell of cheap tequila far too well 😂

Knowing my gym owner it’s some dodgy industrial grade sanitizer that fell off the back off a lorry 😂

• dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My Gym has been open for a couple of months, and I was ready to beat the door down to get in a workout. The gym did a good job of spreading out equipment and promoting cleanliness along with hiring staff to come and clean equipment 4 times a day.

I have changed my workout times from what used to be after work to Early mornings because the after work crowd just packed in there along with a younger crowd that isn't as concerned with the COVID. Made it hard to get a workout and properly distance. Early mornings has it's regulars, but in comparison there is a lot more space, and it's an older crowd so they are much more conscientious of space.

I will say that at first everyone was considerate and were good about wiping down equipment after use, and keeping their areas clean, but as time has gone on people have sunk back into old ways of not cleaning after themselves.

On weekends I use my 24 hour key to go in 3 hours before open and enjoy having a giant gym to myself. Needless to say I wipe everything down before and after use and use sanitizer when I have it available to me and avoid the locker room at all cost.

I'm also low risk along with my family (my wife had it), and I'm currently working from home for the foreseeable future, so I also have minimized the risk of spread.

To Sum it up it started great but has slowly gone down hill.
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    It's open but not going back, my gym is pretty small and whilst most of it is weight-based, there's a few treadmills and ellipticals. I don't really want to share a small space with someone out of breath on those.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin and my gym opened back up at the end of May. I have been going since they opened back up for my own sanity. We are required to wipe down any equipment we use before and after. As well as the staff making sure to keep things clean/sanitize on a regular basis. Masks were not required until state mandated which began this past Saturday. My gym has not had any known cases, but other gyms in my area have (Planet Fitness having the most).
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jacqQ2017 wrote: »
    It's open but not going back, my gym is pretty small and whilst most of it is weight-based, there's a few treadmills and ellipticals. I don't really want to share a small space with someone out of breath on those.

@jacqQ2017
    Do I recall correctly you are in the UK too?

No idea if my recently reopened gym is typical but in mine the cardio equipment is barely being used, the few customers are there for strength/weight training - I'm assuming that most people are getting their cardio exercise outdoors. Think I've seen just two people using an elliptical in four visits, no treadmills, rowing machines or bikes used at all.
    Might be worth checking out what is actually happening in your gym.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    NO! :( My gym is still not open.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I'm in Arkansas. Our gyms opened May 4th. I went once in May and a couple of times in June. My gym was just crowded though, there were a lot of people in June, and they also didn't have childcare anymore.

In July I changed gyms to a smaller gym (well, physically it's actually larger). Many fewer people. 10 people is a crowd, there are usually a couple of people in the gym at a time, well over 20' apart. Masks required when you can't social distance and you are asked to clean your equipment - cleaning materials provided.

Also, they rearranged the cardio equipment, in addition to being spaced apart they also faced them in different directions, so when you are breathing you are now breathing heavily at a wall, not at another row of equipment. They all face the wall now really.

They open the doors and set up fans to circulate outdoor air in every day (not all day though, it isn't staffed 24/7).

No childcare, but it's closer - one reason I drove to the far gym was childcare. It's closer, less crowded, and easier to social distance. I go 4 days a week.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Talan79 wrote: »

Me thinks you know the smell of cheap tequila far too well 😂

Knowing my gym owner it’s some dodgy industrial grade sanitizer that fell off the back off a lorry 😂

I’ve upgraded. But yes, cheap vodka & tequila I know lol.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My gym has been open for 6 weeks now. I've been going EARLY (like 6-7am). It's been fine. Usually a max of 20 people on the weekends in a 300 person capacity gym. Early weekday mornings, there are maybe 6-8 people (some with masks).

As of last week, masks are now mandated in gyms unless engaging in intense exercise. The gym owner was on the floor making people aware of new order today.

I feel pretty safe between my mask use...ability to stay more than 6 feet from other people...availability of cleaning supplies...staff's extra cleaning. I would NOT take a class though. The first couple of times there were classes, only 1-3 people showed. Most recent had 8-10 (no masks) in a smaller room within gym.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Gym still not opened here in NC, but the pool is (sign up, limited people, masks, distancing), and daily fitness classes via zoom.
    One trainer is giving outdoor TRX classes, but I chooses to walk, bike & lift at home on my own.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    My gym in Central IL has been open for about a month. Weight equipment spread out masks required (and people comply) except when exercising. They are cleaning constantly and everyone walking in gets their own spray bottle an towel to wipe things down.

I'm a bit older, but not on any medications and no underlying heath issues. Just had a check up before reopening and doctor said I'd be fine, go for it. See several doctors/other medical professionals as well as first responders in there.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Yes. My gym opened a week ago. Been 3 or 4 times. They only let 8 people max at once (small gym). It's never been more than a couple people the times I went. You have to book your session over an hour in advance, and sign a screening each time stating you're not sick and/or haven't travelled outside the country in the last two weeks.
  • evilokc
    evilokc Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    my gym opened a few weeks ago. i work out very early in the morning and thought it would be safer at 445am then at 5pm when they have their after work rush. the gym has a mask rule but its the dumbest thing ive heard in a long time. you have to have a mask on the enter the lobby area but once you are in the weight room you can remove it. its easy enough at that time of day to keep your distance and i don't talk t anyone without a mask on. its kind of like a douche detector. only a douche would not wear a mask during a pandemic. so now when this is over i will know all of the people in the gym to avoid. im really glad the gym is back open though. i dont have any equipment at home and i wasnt feeling right
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My gym in Florida is open, and I've been going back sporadically for the strength workouts I don't have equipment for at home. It's a very large place with high ceilings and machines nicely spaced out, so I just make sure to stay away from the other people and wipe down the equipment both before and after use. People have generally been very good about cleaning and keeping their distance.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I've found I'm able to get along fine at home with a kettle bell and TRX straps. When (or if) gyms open up again here, I'll cancel my membership if they don't let me keep it frozen like it is now. As others have posted, I'm not even thinking of going back until medical science catches up.