Gained Weight During Quarantine

Options
Hi all! I recently joined My Fitness Pal (I was on SparkPeople but it looks like this is a better tool). I've stuggled with weight gain my entire life, but was finally able to sustain a 30-40 pound weight loss starting a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it was completely undone by quarantine, through a combination of stress eating, not having to see anyone besides my family, boredom, and not having to fit into "real" clothes. I finally saw a video of myself yesterday which showed me the truth of my weight gain, a truth that I will have to confirm when I finally step back on the scale tomorrow morning - UGH. I'm trying to have a positive attitude to avoid the feelings of being overwhelmed and the cycle of shame, so reading and posting here will definitely be critical. I'm off to a good start today, tracking my food intake and walking 5 miles so far. :)

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Getting started is a great step, so that's a huge positive.

Take a look at the Helpful Posts at the top of this Forum as there's loads of useful info there.

In case it's not clear when you went through the Guided Set-up, your activity level should be based on your normal day-to-day. From the info you entered and the rate of weight loss that you selected (and it's not always a good idea to select the most aggressive option*), MFP builds in a deficit and calculates the number of cals you should eat a day. That's therefore how many calories you should eat. You then add your exercise on top of that and eat those calories as well.

*If you're looking to lose 30-40lbs then a rate of 1lb a week, until you get down to 20lb to go, is reasonable.
  • Randolfmfp
    Randolfmfp Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I also put on a fair bit of weight during lockdown. I'm now doing Beachbody T25 workout DVDs to get rid of the bulk and feel fitter again. Week 6 and getting better 😁