Out of shape and exercise tips

Options
I've been eating well, 1200 calories/day of fresh food with good fats/proteins/etc. I haven't worked out in a WHILE. Eating well alone and I've lost 13 pounds so far. The last two days, I've done the 20 minutes beginner workout on YouTube from Pamela Reid (love it). Except, 5 minutes in and no joke I feel like dying lol. I'm trying to build myself up to that full 20 minutes and then do more after that; but HOW? My throat feels like it's on fire, I can't breathe, chest is tight, etc. It's frustrating and I feel like 5 minutes is nothing! I mean, we all have to start somewhere but this feels pathetic... How do I work my way up to that full 20 minutes as far as breaks in-between? Today was even more difficult than yesterday because my legs were like noodles lol.

Replies

• mrsevers2015
    mrsevers2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there ! I agree with the person above !! Work your way up to those 20 minute workouts! Maybe a few days do the 5 to 10 minutes, giving yourself proper rest times as needed. Then when you feel like you're able to do that without the feeling you described... then add more time. If you hurt yourself you won't be able to workout, which is the opposite of what you want to do right now. Before you know it you'll be doing 30 to 45 minutes with no problem! You've got this. Patience is essential right now!!🙂
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I was you a few years ago. I agree with others a check up with Dr and take it more slow.

I’m trying to re -lose my weight. There are a lot of videos I can’t do. Have you considered one of the walking videos to start with. If it’s in your budget can you swing a treadmill? Walking up and down stairs is a start only if your knees are good to do so. Don’t over do it. Try adding literally just 2 extra minutes every other workout. Within a short amount of time you will be doing the whole thing.

Just take it slow. You will get there.
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be a bit tired when first working out so it depends whether it feels excessive to you, I'm not familiar with Pamela Reid. It is important to build up gradually, as its a skill like reading you wouldn't you would jump straight into reading War and Peace when you first get into reading.

I find my troat also is prone to burning as I breathe out of my mouth when I exercise, so I sneak in tiny sips of water to help.

When first started working out I did a lot of low impact workouts, found just by searching the phrase on youtube. I've been working out for some time but still struggle with a lot of jumping. One channel I can recommend is Paula B fitness, they are aimed at a mature audience but are great for beginners.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Heard the expression "Jumping in the deep end" ? Or "Rome wasn't built in a day " ?
    Doing what you can do - and continuing with it - is all you need to do.
    Find a workout you are happy with - you can always up the effort as you get fitter.
    "Simply walking is a good start" yes , don't underestimate walking !
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Have you tried something like this:
    Jenny Ford 5 day jump start

Or
    Jessica Smith 20 min fitness

Or something as simple as walking to fun music

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3lEhUBNqIrFMatB9Zgxo0g
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Start slow. But be consistent. Even if you can only walk 5 minutes. Do that, but maybe work up to twice a day and every day. Every single day. You'll find yourself progressing and enjoying that time. Look at the positives it can bring and have a mantra. Maybe its simply "live longer" or " I'm worth the effort" or "this is easy"

Good luck!
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Exercise is important, but you really do need to start off doing something that matches your fitness level. Doing something high impact/super intense at the beginning will just make you miserable and you will burn yourself out when you can’t finish the program.

Simply walking can be a great calorie burn and as you get stronger you can speed up and/or increase your distance to increase your workout. Then you can start to tackle something like you are doing now.

Two months ago I was 196 pounds and struggled to walk 1.5 miles without being in pain at a slow/moderate pace (20 minutes/mile). I can now do 5 miles (sometimes even pushing a stroller) at less than 18 minute/mile pace. I’ve lost 18 pounds by walking and staying at my calorie goal.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie I'm a big fan of Jessica Smith workouts. I'm starting my third round of her 6 week plan. I like that she gives options. The first cardio I did I lasted 5 minutes and had to pause! Now it seems fairly easy. As she says - Do what you can do.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    For reference, I think you meant Pamela Reif who seems to be in the Chloe Ting universe of cardio videos. If so, I rebuke any workout that starts with plyometrics 🙅🏿‍♀️.

You've gotten great advice above.

At the same time, a lot can be said for progression as a factor of feeling accomplished. So, for example, instead of explosive jumping jacks, try a low impact version like step outs or alternating single leg hip abductions. She names all her moves so finding alternatives/subs will be easy.

Depending on your fitness level, mobility, etc, you may need one, two or three progressions before you do the excercise like she does.

https://youtu.be/UItWltVZZmE
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Eat more. You dont have the energy to workout on 1200 calories per day
    5 minutes is something! Just bump up your calories by a 100 or 200 when planning a workout. Eat 60-90 minutes beforehand.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat more. You dont have the energy to workout on 1200 calories per day
    5 minutes is something! Just bump up your calories by a 100 or 200 when planning a workout. Eat 60-90 minutes beforehand.

I agree with this. Unless you are really short and sedentary, you should be eating more.

I'm thirding (or fourthing) Jessica Smith.