Should I get a scale?

Options
I want to track my weekly weight but I lost 4 pants sizes and don’t want to discharge myself with a number.

Replies

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Up to you 😊 at some point you might wish to update your weight in MFP in order to get a new calorie goal. Would you be able to track your weight by using the scales at the gym/pool/doctor’s office?

Personally I use an analogue scale for a weekly weigh in (sometimes step into it midweek as well if the mood strikes). The reason I chose analogue is because it allows me to track the overall trend but fluctuations of less than 0.5kg my eyesight is just not keen enough to catch! So most of my weigh ins tend to be in 1kg increments. This helps me not obsess over the number.
  • Melly045
    Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree with AwesomeSquirrell using a scale to track success is a personal choice. If you are down 4 pant sizes that’s amazing and you should be so proud. If the scale could possibly discourage you than you don’t need it. Sounds like you are doing just fine the scale is only one measurement it’s not the be all end all. Congrats on your amazing success so far.
  • E7mack96
    E7mack96 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I also use a scale, every morning, I do a weigh in first thing. I know it will fluctuate but I like seeing the numbers lower, and keeps me motivated. An issue I have is the accuracy of many digital scales. I’ve tried 4 different ones and all have a margin of error of at least 1% if not more. At 260 lbs, the scale can fluctuate basically 3 pounds or more. I also use a traditional spring scale to cross check with. I’d like to have a beam scale like a doctors office uses.

So, I’d say use a scale if you can look at it as a reminder of your goals and motivation to achieve them.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Carrierm82 wrote: »
    I want to track my weekly weight but I lost 4 pants sizes and don’t want to discharge myself with a number.

No one can answer this but you. Do you believe you can treat NSVs like the declining clothing size as the real prize and the numbers on the scale as a fairly boring part of weight loss? Unless I am near a milestone number I often forget what I weigh shortly after I record it. I never forget what this has done for my life though.
  • annecantfindausername
    Options
    I didn't buy a scale until April-- before coronavirus would very occasionally weigh myself at the gym (and wouldn't even do that before February). Like you, was worried it would be discouraging. Was also afraid that it would somehow show that the changes I was feeling in my clothing were imaginary, and that the number would be unchanged or higher.

I'm glad I didn't have it when I was getting started and building momentum-- but at this point it's just gratifying and motivating to see the numbers drop (Which happens much more quickly than the other metrics like clothing size). You've lost 4 pant sizes so you *know* what you're doing is working! Its definitely a personal choice, but since you already have momentum I bet the scale (and seeing weekly changes on the scale) will be more encouraging than discouraging.
  • meharmahshahid
    meharmahshahid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't. I have a scale and I'm going to straight up admit it, I am obsessed with the numbers on it. It seems to push me off and discourage me again and again, but I always have this temptation.
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It’s up to you really. I personally like to know how much I weigh and check trends and see how different foods affect me (mainly salt leading to water retention) as I find that interesting.

As said before, a good reason to know your current weight is so that you can update MyFitnessPal which will change your calorie allowance as you lose weight to ensure you’re eating at a level which will let your achieve your goals. So long as you get a regular weigh in (be that home scales, gym, drs etc) you’re good.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I personally use a scale, but if you've dropped 4 sizes, not weighing is clearly working for you.

As long as you are losing weight in a healthy, sustainable way, there's no need to copy what anyone else is doing. We all react differently to certain things. I see scales as a source of data, some people see them as a source of panic. Neither reaction is wrong.