Low Fat Dairy Problem...

Options
I've been reading a lot of articles about low fat dairy, in particular skim milk being bad for you hormonally, especially if you also want to get pregnant. Apparently when they skim the fat out it also removes the eastrogens, meaning you end up consuming a higher portion of testosterone ( probably great if you're a man! ) which can decrease fertility up to 85%! I eat a lot of low fat dairy, skim milk, 0% yogurt, low fat ice cream substitutes... at least 2 portions a day :s What does everyone else think? Is it just scare mongering or would I be better to have a smaller amount of full fat dairy instead? Since I'm both trying to loose weight and get pregnant I'm confused!

Replies

• Tabby1980
    Tabby1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • fieldfare
    Options
    Not heard anything about this before but then I wouldn't have been consciously looking for that sort of info. Until recently cutting out all dairy from my diet I ate almost all low or zero fat dairy products for over 20 years and never felt better on it (also still having regular periods at 50).

Maybe it's just scaremongering - tend to take everything I read about food and drink with a large pinch of low sodium salt as there always seems to be 'proof' of any viewpoint. Did read somewhere about soya milk being very bad for you in the opposite way, too genetically modified and apparently too much estrogen in it and some bloke in the states started to develop breasts but when they looked into his diet he was drinking four quarts of soya milk a day, four US quarts is about six and a half UK pints? ... surely not many people would drink that much milk per day anyway. I eat and drink loads of soya products now, not going to give them up either.
  • flabfighter31
    flabfighter31 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well i have been drinking semi skimmed milk from the age of 18 and since 21 i have had four kids so if its true it hasn't effected me i think its a lot of nonsence it might be true that the hormones in the milk are different to whole milk but i don't think it seriously effects you getting pregnant . good luck on both your goals
  • Tabby1980
    Tabby1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, I think it's one of those things that as soon as you hear about it you google search and then end up feeling much worse about it!