Bigger arms

How many calories a day do I need to consume each day. I’m currently 196lbs and 6ft 2in 51 years old. I have trained in the past with weights with not much success shoulders and chest aren’t too bad but still have skinny arms. Need to lose a bit of belly fat will be with alcohol but which I’m going to cut out or down.

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Have you entered your stats into the app? It will tell you how many calories
  • brian040721
    brian040721 Posts: 7 Member
    I have but not sure if I need to lose weight or maintain. It’s too confusing don’t want to lose weight and muscle mass if I’m not consuming enough calories as I think I have done this in the past.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited August 2020
    Well it sounds like you don't want to lose weight so eat at the maintenance level. If you want to gain muscle workout and eat those calories burned back. Seems straight forward....you're not looking to lose weight so don't eat at a deficit
  • brian040721
    Does that mean the calories I burn I have to consume them too?
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    I'd say start with focusing on eating "good" calories. Try not to go in a net calorie deficit. Aim for 1 gram of protein per pound of your body weight. Change your workout routines. Should be a good start.
  • brian040721
    I have got up this morning and lost 2lbs so I have I not eaten enough calories yesterday?
  • brian040721
    bv9ab5c80kg9.jpeg
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I have got up this morning and lost 2lbs so I have I not eaten enough calories yesterday?

You can't tell anyting from one day - big and fast changes aren't fat related changes (3,500 deficit to lose a pound of fat remember).
    Your weight fluctuates day to day for many reasons, water weight related and food content mostly.

Give it a few weeks of consistency and then your weight trend should start to become clear.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Does that mean the calories I burn I have to consume them too?

You burn calories every second of every day, assuming you mean exercise then yes - if you are seeking to maintain weight you need to account for calories burned during exercise.
    You will notice that when you set your activity level the categories made no mention of your exercise so your base calories are for a day with no exercise.
  • brian040721
    0kg4sn2a0c0w.jpeg
  • brian040721
    Looks like I do need to lose weight now as I’m shorter than I thought I was 😱