Healthy-ish Snacks

Options
Anyone have any shelf stable ideas for snacks? I work long days and lots of times I don’t get to actually sit down to eat. I need quick, but healthy snack options.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    An apple and some jerky?
  • deeshiloh
    deeshiloh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Most fruit, although apples or citrus fruits probably travel the best, although grapes or berries in a plastic container would also be good. Depending how long you need it to be shelf-stable, carrot sticks should be fine out of a fridge for a day, maybe get some hearty high-fiber crackers, or a small amount of nuts or almonds (just be careful on the portion of this since they're pretty calorie dense), or you could get/make roasted chickpeas or other legumes.
  • gininthegym
    gininthegym Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs. Boil up a few and store in the fridge. A little smelly for eating at work but lots of protein and will certainly fill you up for a while.

Sliced vegetable crudites - something sturdy like Carrot, courgette, radish - they won't go soggy in your tupperware . Make a small pot of hummous or other dip to make them more interesting.

Nuts - but just ensure you have a weighed out portion - it's all too easy to keep tucking in to a big packet of them.
  • hlr1987
    hlr1987 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have tinned fruit in the cupboard and yogurt in the fridge, or crackers and hummus, or boiled eggs as above. If there's time, I chop up veg to go with, or add protein powder to the yogurt if I'm looking for something fuller.
    Look for what you enjoy as well as something easy and try to avoid snacks that won't actually make a difference to your hunger levels. I could eat bags of crisps over and over but they don't fill me up, so rather than avoid them, I eat them with a meal and not as a snack. I find nuts hard as a snack for the same reason, it's just hard to eat a small amount as a single snack, in context of a meal they work great for me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes and peanut butter. Fruit - apples, bananas, tangerines and oranges. Boiled eggs. Crackers.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Crispy chickpeas, crispy broad beans, dry-roasted soybeans, in addition to items above.
  • zen_kaylor
    zen_kaylor Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the suggestions but I really need shelf stable. Not refrigerated items. Thanks!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Skinnypop mini cakes.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I just googled. Loads of ideas.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Some protein bars. You need to look at the Nutrition Facts though, some are loaded with sugar. The ones I purchase are Pure Protein bars, 200 calories with 20g protein and 3g sugar. Available at Costco.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I often am running short on time at work and feel this pain.
    I normally try to eat fruit and vegetables in my lunch bag. I often put a lemon cucumber or a mini English cucumber in my lunch. I grew up on a farm so refrigerating uncut fruit and vegetables doesn’t seem as normal to me.
    Protein powder in a shaker cup + bottle of water... mix and drink.
    I have bought mini tubs of peanut butter (270 calories) and a spoon to eat it. If I have a little more time, I will bring rice cake thins and spread the peanut butter on them.
    2 ounces of cashews, macadamia nuts is nearly 400 calories