Someone explain this me about kettlebells...

Options
So about three weeks ago, I plateaued and thought it was time to change things up because I'm still not at target weight. My plan that's worked was typically to do some calisthenics and a two mile walk or run and stay in caloric deficit by IF. It's been working and dropped about 60 lbs. doing this... Then.. everything just stopped!

My runs are more like jogs and I'm pretty winded at the end. Since the gyms are closed, I'm just doing body weight workouts. Needless to say, I don't push myself very hard so I started looking for some new plans.

Kettlebells are fun, I really enjoy them but again, I just did the occasional spirited workout, nothing major. I started doing this 100 (35lb.) kettlebell swings a day thing just to see what would happen. I was diligent about making sure that I hit 100 or more swings in different sets (20x5, 50x2) and deep push-ups.

I started my run as usual and my watch indicated that it was my fastest mile. My push-ups are faster and I my usual body weight workouts without being tired so I kicked up.

So... something happened... what is it about working out with kettelbells that improves workouts?

Replies

• RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Strength training overall will improve endurance in other areas. Kettlebell swings focus on your core and glutes (youll work other areas but those are the main) when done properly which is the key component in everything else that youre doing.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Kettelbell exercises are very "functional" - related to real world , daily movements, that we all do.
    Kettelbell swings work the biggest muscle group - the posterior chain - as well as other core parts.
    Core strength helps in all activities , as you've found out !
    Try one handed swings , the body's effort to keep stable works even more core muscles.
    Oh , and up the 100/day !!
    I like Mark Wildmans approach on YT.
  • alexcordero3
    alexcordero3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    djaxon1 wrote: »
    Try one handed swings , the body's effort to keep stable works even more core muscles.
    Oh , and up the 100/day !!
    I like Mark Wildmans approach on YT.

OOh! One handed and alternate arms... I like that! Yeah, it was weird when I started running and suddenly though, "woa! I'm faster and not as tired--what's going on??" The only thing I've changed is doing those kettelbell swings. I'll incorporate those one handed swings into my workouts. Thanks.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you’ll want to use less weight for one-armed. Have fun!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you've been working your core and that makes you a more efficient runner? The swings have helped with leg strength? When my lungs get tired I resort to my leg strength to get me through a jog....and vice versa
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,476 Member
    Options
    Dan John had an interesting 10k swing challenge program:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/the-10000-swing-kettlebell-workout-revisited
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    KBs give you so much bang for your buck. I love them. Swings give you decent cardio exercise as well as the strength benefits.