Progress is limited.

Options
I think we all know less calories in results in weight loss; but there is a mental aspect that is holding me back. I just can’t lose the chips or peanuts At night; those are my crutch. Sigh. Anyway....

Replies

• durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. Do you live with someone who is supportive? The main way I kicked my snack habit was to change my shopping habits. If it doesn't get in the house, it doesn't get eaten. Fortunately everyone in my household is on the same page.

What have been your strategies so far to help you get rid of the junk food?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Don’t just wait around for unhelpful habits to go away by themselves. My answer to evening snacks has been a combination of substitution and delay. My primary evening snack is ice cream. That’s right ice cream. I’ve lost the last 40 lbs of 110 counting calories and eating ice cream almost every day. Been maintaining for years. About 120 calories of some kind of modified ice cream. Skinny cow, WW fudge bars, Breyers no sugar added, Halo Top. I’ve tried them all. I think I get more bang for the calories with frozen treats. But this snack has to be at least 2 hrs after dinner. Waiting isn’t much of an issue because its worth waiting for. I also hold back about 60 calories for just before bed.

Maybe look at the book Atomic Habits. He has a whole strategy about ending bad habits and establishing good habits. Start looking around for plan friendly substitutes. Try to impose some portion control. No eating snacks out of a big bag or box. A food scale is the best way to control portions.

If you think this a problem, work to solve it. You can do it. A lot of people try to impose a no snacking rule. I’m not so good at just say no. Good thing its not necessary. Try to plan your way around this. Keep identifying situations like this and keep looking for solutions. Do that enough and you will make it your goal. Good luck.

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    @bdelaney33 As @durhammfp says, if you can avoid having the snacks in the house, that's the ideal solution as you can't eat them! However, if it's something you enjoy and you're actually hungry at night (as opposed to bored/sad/[insert negative emotion of choice here]), then can you pre-portion your snacks and save enough calories to graze on them late at night?

If the eating is out of habit rather than hunger, you need to find something else to do, i.e. you need to shake up your routine so you don't expect to be snacking. Distraction is a great tool.

It sounds counterintuitive, but I actually find cooking a great distraction - sometimes when I'm hungry, I do some batch cooking. It's the act of concentrating and doing something that makes me forget I wanted to stuff my face with food.
  • Lyallatron
    Lyallatron Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I chose to do IF too to stop me from doing that! I’m relentless snacker. Now that I’ve trained to cut off at 6pm that seems to stop the urge from coming on. Add me if you wanna chat etc or support to avoid the snacks!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think it starts by not buying those types of snacks. Makes it easy to not head for those snacks when youre at your weakest point.
    Easier said than done. I know that mental struggle all too well.
  • bdelaney33
    bdelaney33 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think it starts by not buying those types of snacks. Makes it easy to not head for those snacks when youre at your weakest point.
    Easier said than done. I know that mental struggle all too well.

Right; best not to have in the house at all - but they are just so good!! lol