A little confused...

Options
So I have read and read around these forums trying to work out how many calories I should be consuming. I've been on 1200 for a while but feeling lousy and plateaued in my weight loss for over a month so have upped my intake a bit, figuring I was probably in starvation mode. My BMR is 1400 calories. Now is this the minimum I should be eating? Or should I be eating more than this? I have lost 22lbs (of pregnancy weight) in the last 12 weeks and am hoping to lose the final 12 in the next 6 weeks in time for our first holiday in 3 years. Or is this unrealistic? I'm pretty desperate to lose it and will do whatever it takes. I'm just not sure if I'm doing it right. TIA

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    good luck with your weightloss goals. everyone is different. have you tried seeing a doctor? maybe a nutritionist would be able to help you out in your goals. if you are excersising, 1200 might be too low.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would go for 1400 and see how you get on for a couple of weeks.
  • SusanneWhittington
    Options
    I just let MFP calculate my calories I should take and that worked fine for me.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in 6 weeks seems like a reasonable goal. Is the 1400 calories thing working?? I would suggest that you > your cardio rather than lower your calories if that is possible. It will tone your body making you smaller, and help you lose weight. Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    12 pounds in 6 weeks is 2 pounds a week.. and since you have so little left to lose, it's not that realistic. I'd try more for a pound to half a pound, and you'll prob. get more results that way.

i also bump up your eating levels to a pound or half a pound from what you have them set at now. The less weight you have to lose, the more you need to eat... like I have 5 pounds left, and am eating around 1700 calories a day.
  • mercurymumof3
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am running for 30 minutes about 4-5 times per week, so would I need to eat more than 1400 or just stay on that level? Or would upping that excercise be better? But then if I ran for longer would I need to eat more calories??That's where my confusion comes in. My husband made me a deal ages ago that if I got to goal weight by our hols he'd give me £250 - so I kind of have an extra incentive to get there! (He is starting to sweat a little....)
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... try 1400 cals for a week or 2 n see where that gets u... if ur losing 1 lb per week hey ur still losing hun n not gaining! That's what I try to tell myself when I only see the scale move 1 lb ;) good luck!