Ankle sprain - exercises?

Options
Hey y’all! First time post and I’m coming to y’all asking about exercises that can be done around ankle sprains.

I sprained my ankle last October 2019 in an accident and was on crutches for 2 weeks. At the time I was working in a remote area overseas and did not have access to follow up treatment or physical therapy. I followed up with occasional acupuncture and massage sessions that helped managed the pain, and I can now walk without pain. However, I can’t be on my feet for too long and I haven’t been able to run again like I used to. My physical health slid and I put on more weight, but I’m here to take back my health and to motivate myself. What are some exercises I can do to help get back into shape while working on ankle recovery?

side note: please feel free to add me as a friend. I can definitely use the accountability and the motivation!

Replies

• Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,382 Member
    Options
    I have a stress fracture on the top of my foot .....I had foot surgery in March where I have a screw in my foot ........ I put on my walking boot and walk with Leslie Sansone dvd's .... or I sit in a chair and use weights ....swim in my pool or use my "total gym".........Look up chair exercises .......Feel free to add me if you would like :)
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There is lots of exercises one can do without using their ankle, however my recommendation is to start with your calorie intake, make sure mfp is set to your current activity level and aim for those calories, as weight loss starts in the kitchen.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I used to play a lot of basketball and I've probably sprained my ankle/ankles 10 times or more. It's never taken me more than a few weeks to recover, worst was a knee sprain that took me about 6 weeks. If you are 10 months into "rehab" and still not able to perform normal athletic movements you might have additional issues that need to be addressed by a doctor.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    briscogun wrote: »
    I used to play a lot of basketball and I've probably sprained my ankle/ankles 10 times or more. It's never taken me more than a few weeks to recover, worst was a knee sprain that took me about 6 weeks. If you are 10 months into "rehab" and still not able to perform normal athletic movements you might have additional issues that need to be addressed by a doctor.

Agreed. It's been a long time not to have healed from a sprain. If you can see a doctor, that might be a quicker path to healing than a lot of physical therapy trial and error. Best wishes to you, OP!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are a gazillion seated exercise videos on youtube. Yes, a lot of them are for seniors but some of them are pretty vigorous. Try them until you can exercise on your ankle. You also might ask for a referral to someone who deals with sports medicine to see if taping or a brace would help.
  • weight3049
    weight3049 Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I been to physical therapy a few times for ankle injuries (used to skateboard). I suggest trying out the exercises used in physical therapy. These are pretty much the ones I did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwUF_cc4w-c

I also suggest getting a resistance band and doing ankle resistance exercises.

Main thing is getting back the motion on your ankle so you can run etc again.
  • leaptofaith
    leaptofaith Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thank you everyone for ya'll's insightful responses! I was told before that I would have to wait at least 6 months to properly heal, and I believed it - I didn't realize that ankle sprains can actually heal in a shorter amount of time. I've scheduled an appointment with a podiatrist for the first time tomorrow so hopefully will be following up with some good news tomorrow.