Best time to work out?

Options
When is the best time of day to workout? I used to workout when I first woke up, but recently, I switched to the evenings ( about a hour or so after dinner) due to my schedule. Is there any benefit to working out during a specific time of day? Does it matter?

Replies

• StarbuxDiva
    StarbuxDiva Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise HAHAHA Perfect! :) I love the motivation!
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    @Go_Deskercise HAHAHA Perfect! :) I love the motivation!

That time is only good for today. You'll have to ask me again tomorrow for the best time. :p
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    The best time is when you will actually do the workout. So basically whatever time works best for you is the best time for you to workout.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I’ve been so busy the past 2 weeks with my 9-5 and my side business, that I’ve BARELY worked out and it sucks.

It was nice out today on lunch, so I went for a 30 min walk. Now I’m eating my lunch at my desk while working.

I know my second job will slow down soon, and I can exercise more. When that happens, I’ll return to working out around 5pm (right after a quick post work meal to help fuel my weight workout).
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I prefer the mornings. I workout 6:30 - 8:30 AM. Less crowded, I can get on all the equipment I need. It also keeps my stress levels down throughout the day.

It's hard for me to go in the evenings. As the day goes on I get lazier. It is crowded with all the young people. They don't clean up after themselves or put the equipment back which really pisses me off! And I find I cannot get to sleep as easily because I am so pumped up from the exercise.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Well that depends...

I prefer to run before work, less people and I will definitely get it done. Safer then than late in the evening.
    Gym classes only happen after work so have to do them then.
    Swimming happens when I feel like it and fits round the others.

Lunchtime never works for me on work days as I can't bear the rush.

Whenever you decide is the perfect time, that's exactly it.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When is the best time of day to workout? I used to workout when I first woke up, but recently, I switched to the evenings ( about a hour or so after dinner) due to my schedule. Is there any benefit to working out during a specific time of day? Does it matter?

The only way it could possibly matter is if you have more or less energy at particular points in the day that could effect your workout.

The best time to workout is when you will do it. My primary exercise is road cycling or mountain biking...when I do that is greatly dependent on the season. In summer I go out earlier in the morning before the heat of the day kicks in. In the fall and winter I go later in the day after it has warmed up a bit. I only do a full body lifting session once per week with a trainer on Friday afternoons...it isn't optimal, but it is something and I frankly can't be bothered with going to the gym multiple times per week these days.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    As mentioned by some, best time is when you can and will do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    A very intense workout burns me out for the rest of the day if I do it in morning , so for me that's a no no.
    Between 5-7pm fits for me
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard various times of the day is best.

However the best time is actually the time that you go. If you don’t go, then you don’t progress, if you go, you do :smile:
  • seantheking1987
    seantheking1987 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    morning works best for me, usually first thing after i've done my stretching. My cardio isn't particularly intense though, i go for a 90 minute walk each morning so no risk of being burnt out for the rest of the day. If it's a weight day then i'll do those about half an hour after i'm home.

Works well for me because my eating window doesn't open til 12 noon, so if i'm out and about in the morning it keeps my mind distracted from eating. Only downside is it probably affects my overall performance in weight training, doing it on an empty stomach and with limited energy but that's fine as long as i'm making improvements relative to that fasted state.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I prefer to do my workouts in the morning so don't have to worry about it later on and because I feel like I have more energy at the beginning of the day then I do at the end of my day. I still have legs to do and I'm not feeling it but I'm going to hit play
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i think the best time to work out should be dictated by a person's schedule and their energy level at various times of day. this is different for everyone.

i've been sleeping poorly and working a lot, so i fit in a workout when it fits - i woke up at noon today and jumped on my exercise bike (i often work for part of the night), but a few days ago, i did the bike at 3 am and resistance training at about 4pm.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I feel at my best for exercise between the very wide range of 10am and 10pm - I tend to feel more lethargic early in the morning and my elderly joints haven't warmed up so early morning exercise is my least favourite choice.

However, I did a 100 mile organised ride with a start time of 6:30am and the first two hours were my fasted ever. Guess motivation trumps feelings?