Not sure where to post this....

singingtiger
singingtiger Posts: 5 Member
edited August 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!
This is my first post here, but I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for a while. I’m becoming frustrated.....
I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2018 and had the works as far as treatment is concerned ( 8 rounds of Chemo, then a double mastectomy, then 33 radiation treatments, and finally my reconstruction surgery) I’m now on Tamoxifen. I have gained a little bit of weight, but I’m still in the healthy range. (I’m 5’3 and I weigh about 111. I’m trying so hard to lose because I’ve weighed about 100 lbs before and I’m just becoming very frustrated that I can’t lose. I know that Tamoxifen can make it hard to lose weight. I have a Peloton bike that I ride everyday. I have the MFP app set at 1,370 for my goal, I’ve logged my food today at 945 and my exercise is showing as 707 ( know that is exaggerated and my exercise number is different everyday) I guess I’m saying all of this to say that I may need a little bit of an education.... I know that 1370 includes my deficit right? But does that mean I need to eat ALL my calories to lose weight?(that just seems like a lot of calories!) right now my remaining calories is at 1,132. I don’t really need to eat all of those calories back do I?
Thanks,
Megan

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    5’3” and 111lbs? Isn’t that underweight?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    For various reasons, you'll see that not everyone eats all of their exercise calories. Rather, they have a portion of them (say, a third, or half, etc).
  • singingtiger
    I’m really not sure.... I guess at being 5’3, I know that’s a little under, but I didn’t see it as terrible.
  • singingtiger
    I’m sure there is. I’ll find out.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Megan, I'm not sure why you aren't losing weight, but you really are at a healthy weight according to chart. Your body has been through the ringer, congratulations on just being on the other end of this. Going through everything you have is quite an accomplishment. :)
  • singingtiger
    Thanks! Yes.... I know it has....
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    Getting to the bottom of your weight bracket? is going to take some due diligence. Do you use a food scale?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,720 Member
    Hello!
    I was diagnosed at age 31. I was stage II and I had DCIS. It was just in one breast and all the testing I had showed it was no where else in my body.

I feel I should edit my post a little bit to say that I KNOW that 111 isn’t big..... before I brought my bike into the house I was a little bigger ( around 130) and when I got the bike I started to use it and in turn lost weight, I thought that was a good thing. Then I found the mass that I found.. I truly believe that using the bike and losing weight helped me to find the mass that I found because I literally just had an itch. I wasn’t looking for it and I had never had a mammogram. I’m saying all this to say that I fear that if I gain a whole bunch of weight and cancer comes back I won’t know it. ( I know that that’s why I have a team of doctors to follow up with, and I know I’ll be followed closely for the rest of my life), but the thought is still there in the back of my mind
    To answer about strength training, yes I am doing that as well ( to me, that one of the benefits of Peloton, their app offers strength training and Yoga and other classes as well.

Virtual hugs! You're right, they'll be watching you very closely.

Those early times are very anxiety-prone, especially, I understand. I even wondered during treatment if I should even renew magazine subscriptions, but now I'm glad I did. 😉 Just so you know, I'm not the only 20 year (or more) survivor of stage III BC in my circle of friends, so there's definitely reason for you to be hopeful.

Though there are no guarantees in life as you know, regular exercise is actually quite a help at avoiding recurrence, especially in some diagnostic subgroups, so you're doing great things for yourself! The weight loss is also a help.

Sending wishes for excellent long-term outcomes!