Understanding natural sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat2 Not sure if this “syrup” difference is a U.S. thing, but it is real! Cracker Barrel, a family restaurant on many interstates in the U.S., always had 100% maple syrup. About 5 years ago they started serving “100% Pure Natural Syrup”. In smaller writing on the bottle it says 55% Pure Maple Syrup, 45% Cane Syrup”. My husband stopped ordering pancakes there when they made that change!

I have one of the little bottles on my fridge, so the verbiage cane right off the label. Not sure why I haven’t tossed it. 🤪 Many restaurants went away from real maple syrup to reduce costs.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    0n65lvjpogeq.png
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Yeah but what if you want to use the pancake syrup on waffles, huh? HUH??????

:)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    jjalbertt wrote: »

Pancake syrup = maple syrup, or am I missing something?

Pancake syrup is "artifical", and sold as a substitute for maple syrup. Typically it's just corn syrup or glucose syrup
    Real maple syrup comes from a tree and has antioxidants and other benefits. It's also way more expensive in comparison and tastes like heaven.

I've always understood "pancake syrup" to mean maple syrup (so I strongly disagree with the claim "typically" -- maybe it's regional or generational. Interesting to learn that there are other kinds of syrup, but weird to call them "pancake syrup" as if most people didn't usually think of maple syrup as the prime kind of syrup for pancakes. I knew there were low cal options, but they are usually made with sugar substitutes and people call them syrup subs or low cal syrups. I didn't actually know there were high cal sugary syrups that were not maple (and again I think they need a better name than "pancake syrup" since for me pancakes mean maple syrup and I doubt I'm unusual on that).

So that all said, I totally disagree that one should assume "pancake syrup" = something other than maple syrup.

I'm pretty sure that "pancake syrup" is a term specifically used to get around legal restrictions on what can be called "maple syrup." So while lots of people put maple syrup on their pancakes, if a package says "pancake syrup," my default assumption is that it is a non-maple syrup designed to somewhat replicate the flavor while being cheaper.

Hmm. From a marketing/labeling perspective, if a bottle said "pancake syrup," I'd assume it was something other than maple, sure. I don't look at syrup that much, buy maple, and just kind of assumed the other ones were low cal options (i.e., not maple, but also not sugary). So I have learned something!

However, when I talk about maple syrup just in conversation, I'd just call it syrup, or -- if we were talking about pancakes -- maybe pancake syrup and assume I would be understood to be maple syrup (oops!). So if someone were at my house and asked if I had "syrup" or even "pancake syrup," I'd assume maple syrup was what they were asking for.

If talking about the low cal stuff, which my parents used to want when they would visit me, as my dad would always want to make pancakes, and they liked the diet stuff well enough, they'd ask if I had the low cal or diet syrup. I might say, "yeah, I bought some fake syrup for you, and also have frozen strawberries or blueberries we can heat up (which makes a lovely topping for pancakes without syrup, IMO)." Fake in that context would not be considered insulting, just an acknowledgment that it wasn't actually maple syrup.

I wasn't aware -- and maybe it's a regional thing -- that in common speech people would refer to "pancake syrup" and specifically mean to exclude maple syrup.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    In my house, we have real maple syrup for the adults. The grandkids prefer the fake sugary blech over the real thing.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    suzij27 wrote: »
    @lemurcat2 Not sure if this “syrup” difference is a U.S. thing, but it is real! Cracker Barrel, a family restaurant on many interstates in the U.S., always had 100% maple syrup. About 5 years ago they started serving “100% Pure Natural Syrup”. In smaller writing on the bottle it says 55% Pure Maple Syrup, 45% Cane Syrup”. My husband stopped ordering pancakes there when they made that change!

Heh, I would do the same!

I don't go to breakfast chains often and last time I did (stuck in rural MS with nothing but a Waffle House available), I got eggs and bacon, so I guess I just may not have noticed this sad change. Even at local brunch places with maple syrup no doubt on offer, I usually go savory. I tend to have pancakes exclusively at home, or at my dad's, since he enjoys making them. So even the syrup world is passing me by, sigh. ;-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    sonex825 wrote: »
    I notice you talked about eating a low-cholesterol diet to have lower serum (blood) cholesterol. This reflects an older, now pretty much debunked, idea of how dietary cholesterol works for the vast majority of us.

What do you mean? Are you suggesting high cholesterol isn't bad? I had high, BAD cholesterol, and low, GOOD cholesterol.
    Blood cholesterol level and how much cholesterol you eat aren't directly related. Trans fats and high saturated fat should be more of your worry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    jjalbertt wrote: »

Pancake syrup = maple syrup, or am I missing something?

Pancake syrup is "artifical", and sold as a substitute for maple syrup. Typically it's just corn syrup or glucose syrup
    Real maple syrup comes from a tree and has antioxidants and other benefits. It's also way more expensive in comparison and tastes like heaven.
    Calorie value is what matters most for weight loss though. In terms of calories, they're the same.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Colloquially, around here, we tend to say "maple syrup" as the blanket term for all syrups going on pancakes/waffles, with the understanding that more-often-than- not, it's going to be the cheap fake stuff rather than actual maple syrup due to the very, very large price difference. (And I live in one of the regions that produces it.. the odds of being served real maple syrup dwindle considerably elsewhere).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    (somewhat out of date, but in case interested...)
    jtzetmnecnhu.png
  • ritzvin
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Here's an example of some of the pricing differences (via Instacart)(store brand + 1 mainstream name brand)...
    (8x more $$ per volume for the storebrand real maple syrup for the non-bulk sizing)

myn1vdt36brl.png

ETA.. here's the entire listing for the "Maple syrups" search (all brands that are there)..
    ff4sdknrmqan.png
  • ritzvin
    Options
    suzij27 wrote: »

I have one of the little bottles on my fridge, so the verbiage cane right off the label. Not sure why I haven’t tossed it. 🤪 Many restaurants went away from real maple syrup to reduce costs.

Here's what a quick search turned up on that...
    473mm81cm4w0.png (March 2009)

A review of one of their TN locations offered up the below, so maybe they did switch back..
    j27mcdebabkz.png

• lemurcat2
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Colloquially, around here, we tend to say "maple syrup" as the blanket term for all syrups going on pancakes/waffles, with the understanding that more-often-than- not, it's going to be the cheap fake stuff rather than actual maple syrup due to the very, very large price difference. (And I live in one of the regions that produces it.. the odds of being served real maple syrup dwindle considerably elsewhere).

I just searched for syrup (no maple) at WF (through Amazon Prime grocery delivery), and what came up, in order, were 2 maples (in different sizes), some fake syrup, and then more maple, and then the low cal stuff. Then some strawberry and chocolate syrups. Out of curiosity I compared the costs -- the maple in 32 oz was 59 cents/serving, while the fake syrup in 20 oz was 35 cents/serving. (The smaller maple was 66 cents/serving.)

I expect the popular fake syrups at WF are more than in some other stores, however.
  • ritzvin
    edited August 2020
    Options
    The best in-store prices listed on web site (without the instacart markups in my previous image) for 1 of our 2 main supermarket chains were 44 cents/oz (32 oz maple syrup), 39 cents/oz (64 oz maple syrup), [ETA: 56 cents/oz for the 12.5 oz bottle - nothing between the 12.5 and 32 oz], and 8 cents/oz (24 oz non-maple syrup)(proudly "Made with 2% real maple syrup. 2% maple syrup.")
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I understand your worry. Using a food diary for the first time opens a can of worms you can't put back in the shelf. I cut back on sugar too, natural and artificial. I understood that too much of a good thing led to some issues. This platform helped me learn moderation, opened me up to food staples that made certain things still worth having but in a much healthier form. Some of my health issues resolved in a matter of 2 weeks by cutting back and sticking to a prescribed limit. When someone says MFP doesn't calculate this or that, it all starts with the labels being scanned. My family and I are predisposed to diabetes, HC and HBP, so weight gain runs in this circle too. I figured that it is what we eat that spurs certain things in motion, which leads us to eat more of it over time. I could argue that those who gain weight from a calorie surplus don't develop conditions such as ours but predisposed and weight gain is based off what is eaten, then how much. By cutting back and learning moderation, I find that my daily intake, with all meals and snacks considered, is not well below or beyond thr platform. In any case, your discretion counts, when in doubt, talk to your doctor. We could debate articles but your health is a serious discussion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Not so much concerned about my eating habits as I am trying to figure out the app and how it fits into the big picture. Seems it would make sense to be able to track added sugar on a line of its own if it was so different. Might be something I ask about when I visit the doctor next time. I really look forward to seeing if the eating well has had a decent impact on my lab work.

Added sugar just became mandatory on US food labels this year (with lots of exceptions) so I don't anticipate MFP will have this as an option anytime soon.

However, if your carbs and calorie targets are on point, your sugar will be as well.

I swapped out sugar for fiber as that is more useful for me to track.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Not so much concerned about my eating habits as I am trying to figure out the app and how it fits into the big picture. Seems it would make sense to be able to track added sugar on a line of its own if it was so different. Might be something I ask about when I visit the doctor next time. I really look forward to seeing if the eating well has had a decent impact on my lab work.

Added sugar just became mandatory on US food labels this year (with lots of exceptions) so I don't anticipate MFP will have this as an option anytime soon.

However, if your carbs and calorie targets are on point, your sugar will be as well.

I swapped out sugar for fiber as that is more useful for me to track.

FWIW, MFP (in the phone app) lets you enter sugar and added sugar separately (also sugar alcohols) now, it appears. Don't know whether/where it shows up if entered, and the web MFP doesn't seem to have a space for it on "create food".

Obviously, the existing entries in the database (that don't have it) won't change unless some user changes them, and the world doesn't necessarily follow US food labeling standards or have equivalents, so . . . yeah, I won't be *effective* on MFP anytime soon. ;)