Calorie Question

So for the past threeish weeks I've been eating around 2360 calories. I haven't been super consistent with exercising (maybe 2-3 times a week out of 4).
I've been losing weight slowly but there's been two days this week where I've had some family events and ate more than the 2360.
What's weird though is that each day I ate over 2360, I lost more than if I just ate 2360 for a week straight. If that makes sense?

Like last week, I ate 2360 perfectly, exercised twice, and went from 130.1 lbs to 129.3.

Yesterday I weighed 129.3 still but ate a lot and this morning I woke up at 127.9 lbs...?

Why is it that I lost more after eating more?

I do IF and eat between 10:30-8 because I'm slowly getting to a 16/8 hour fast so eventually I'll be eating between 12 and 8.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    There are so many more factors than just food that affects your scale weight. Hormones, ovulation, your period, outside temperature, illness/injury, travel, etc, etc, etc. Read this article, OP.

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • cleopold4
    cleopold4 Posts: 16 Member
    I'm Male 5'10" 6 weeks ago I weighed 124 kilos

I eat approximately 1400 calories daily, and I do 150 calories exercise.(walking)

Today I weighed 116.3 , a loss of about 8 kilos in 6 weeks, which is tracking well according to my calorie intake and exercise.

But, for the reason of this post:

Today is Friday. 4 days ago my scale jumped to 119.9. 119.9?, How I thought? It should be around 117K....I didn't do anything differently.

I had the sniffles last week...did my body shut down?

Where did these 3 extra kilos come from? I had eaten a healthy minestrone with 80 grams of pasta Saturday and Sunday.

But today 116.3.. Tues, Wednesday and Thursday, about 3 kilos came off overnight. Like magic.

Moral of the story... If you put in what you say... have faith, the scale is your friend.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,843 Member
    I found out quite a few years ago that my weight would be lower on the scale if I had a small bag of crisps. Hey, that's cool, right? Only, overall I was actually gaining weight very slowly at about 1-1.5kg per year. The reason the scale was down from one day to another was: having been to the loo. Fat can get things moving, and losing poop weight also means you'll lose a bit of waterweight along the way. So ...
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 989 Member
    cleopold4 wrote: »

I eat approximately 1400 calories daily, and I do 150 calories exercise.(walking)

I don't want to derail the original post, but if you're male you shouldn't be eating less than 1500 cals a day.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member

I don't want to derail the original post, but if you're male you shouldn't be eating less than 1500 cals a day.

He weighed 124 kilos at 5'10".... I think there were bigger issues than an additional 100 calorie deficit while being borderline morbidly obese... sounds like he's doing great and making good progress.

1,500 is based off what? Cause myfitnesspal sets that as a default? Should this be the case for a 5'6" male and also a 6'6" male? They both should stay above 1500 calories?
  • yirara
    Rammer123 wrote: »

He weighed 124 kilos at 5'10".... I think there were bigger issues than an additional 100 calorie deficit while being borderline morbidly obese... sounds like he's doing great and making good progress.

1,500 is based off what? Cause myfitnesspal sets that as a default? Should this be the case for a 5'6" male and also a 6'6" male? They both should stay above 1500 calories?

No, he should care. Even if you're overweight your body needs proper fueling, thus a minimum of 1500 plus all exercise calories for males. And that's the absolute minimum. Time and again people here have shown that starving themselves (1400 plus exercise of 150. That's just 1250 calories daily!) works for a while. Until it doesn't and they start to binge if they're lucky. Or collapse if they are unlucky.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,703 Member
    yirara wrote: »

No, he should care. Even if you're overweight your body needs proper fueling, thus a minimum of 1500 plus all exercise calories for males. And that's the absolute minimum. Time and again people here have shown that starving themselves (1400 plus exercise of 150. That's just 1250 calories daily!) works for a while. Until it doesn't and they start to binge if they're lucky. Or collapse if they are unlucky.

And on top of that, he says he's lost weight at a rate of 1.33kg/3lbs per week, which is fast, even for someone at his weight.
  • yirara
    Lietchi wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

And on top of that, he says he's lost weight at a rate of 1.33kg/3lbs per week, which is fast, even for someone at his weight.

Missed that one. Thanks Lietchi
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    I've been in a whoosh (pounds falling off) for a few days. During that same period of time, we've been working on a big container of double fudge brownie ice cream. Cause and effect? Is double fudge brownie ice cream the weight loss elixir we've all been looking for? What? No? Do you mean I'm losing weight over the long term because I'm eating at a calorie deficit over the long term (even counting the calories in that ice cream)? Eating less and moving more? Nah, can't be that simple ... (tongue firmly placed in cheek)
  • cleopold4
    cleopold4 Posts: 16 Member
    Yea, I can see the 1500 minimum calorie point of view.

I should point out, I've been eating a healthy 1400. Not necessarily being very disciplined, but as a default in order to avoid hunger I add as much bulk as I can. , I have lowered my dry pasta to 70~100 gram max and meat to 125g.. I have added more potatoes and a lot of vegetables to my diet.

My 1400 calories is by far giving me healthier days than I had before ... and I'm not hungry.

I could easily go from 1400 to 1500 by substituting my lentil pancake in the morning with my preferred white toast... but that will not be an improvement other than reaching a number.

I guess at the start I was banking some extra calories as I thought I would be craving for an evening snack. In the end I didn't crave for extra...so it ended up about 1400, and I just kept it at that.

Overall, a healthy 1400 is much better than a 1250+ vanilla slice=1600 lol

I do pray for a 25 calorie vanilla slice
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Overall, a healthy 1400 is much better than a 1250+ vanilla slice=1600 lol

Is it though? Undereating is bad for us. Your body could use the calories and macronutrients in the vanilla slice. I'm not sure why you think they would be useless for you.