How dumb is this free weight/squat rack phobia!

Options
Up until a year ago I was a stay at home mom.
Went to the gym at about 10:00am and it was great! Nobody was ever there...I could do free weights, squats, lunges with very little anxiety about people watching me.

NOW I have to go after work, at 5:30pm and the gym is full of Jersey Shore rejects!

This makes me nervous.
I'll walk over to the squat rack... look around and see people just standing around, or looking. And I'll walk away.

Same with the free weights/bench area.

How do I get over this? I know the machines are not as effective and I hate looking like a weenie!

Do you have any weird gym/working out phobias?

Replies

• Shemac04
    Options
    Just do what you always did....block out everyone else....
  • runningmom1977
    Options
    I'm shy when it comes to the weights at the gym too. When I belonged to one before, I avoided the weights like the plague. I'm joining the Y, today actually, and am going to use their personal trainer services for awhile. I'm hoping that if I have someone there holding my hand, I will get used to using the weights in front of people!
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    Nobody is watching you. We are all far to busy admiring our own pumped biceps and swollen pecs in the mirror.

Just make yourself do it! :)
  • starwhisperer
    Options
    they do stare at my gym. My friend and I have actually had a couple of soldiers stop what they are doing to just stand and watch us. Weirdos. What I do now is take my glasses off. Fantastic, I am like the little kid who thinks you can't see them because they have covered up their face. I just pretend that if I can't see them they cant see me. Also though it is a phobia that you can actually push through. It took me awhile to be comfortable going on my own, now I have no problem going in alone... after all none of those super fit people I am afraid are judging me got super fit without work. So they should understand what I am there doing.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Did I just read that you are so worried about those stand-around, look-around gym bunnies that you stood-around instead of picking up some weights? Remember, they are looking to you for motivation!!! "If she can do it, so can I". Just do it!
  • soloral
    Options
    Just do it!

Is the squat rack against a wall? Put your butt on the side of the wall so you can see if anyone is looking at you. If you notice someone looking to much, complain to the staff at your gym. They will take care of it.
  • 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    they do stare at my gym. My friend and I have actually had a couple of soldiers stop what they are doing to just stand and watch us. Weirdos. What I do now is take my glasses off. Fantastic, I am like the little kid who thinks you can't see them because they have covered up their face. I just pretend that if I can't see them they cant see me. Also though it is a phobia that you can actually push through. It took me awhile to be comfortable going on my own, now I have no problem going in alone... after all none of those super fit people I am afraid are judging me got super fit without work. So they should understand what I am there doing.

There are exceptions of course, but most of us are not staring at women as they work out. We may do a quick up and down glance, but then we get back to our own work.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    It's just a dumb phobia, I was spoiled by nearly empty gym. Now at 6pm the gym is very busy.
    I do get looked at, and I'm just trying to get over it.

I managed to walk over to the squat rack yesterday and do what I had to do.

****I blame this all on pervy 8th grade gym teacher lol