Tracking Menstrual Cycle with Weightloss? Identifying trends...

Options
I exported my weightloss data from MFP premium and imported into EXCEL, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to set it up to get the most information from the data. Has anyone already done this? Tips, templates??

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What exactly do you want to look at? Libra (android) and happyscale (apple) are apps I have heard area really awesome for tracking and projecting weight loss.

• mgeis01
    mgeis01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mostly I just want to start tracking the trends. After tracking macros and and weight on MFP for a long while now I can see that I frequently get very hungry the days before ovulation and I generally drop weight right at the beginning of my cycle. I'd like to be able to predict those changes to eliminate any negativity that comes up when I see the scale bounce around.

And mostly - I just like data. I tried the Oura ring and the whoop and neither really seemed to give me meaningful data because neither incorporates the hormone cycle. I think it's time to just track it myself - unless you know of an app that will chart weight loss and cycle data?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this directly. I do weigh myself daily and have used libra for that. I do track my monthly cycle and it is very predictable as well.

Really, I would just say stick with excel or some other spreadsheet (I like google sheets as well). There was a time where I would input data from multiple sources to a spreadsheet. I track calories in using MFP, calories out using my Samsung Gear Sport, and cycle tracking using flo. Below is what I did when I was data tracking like that. My weight loss lined up with it so the data I got was accurate enough.

The main trends I noticed were increased hunger after ovulation, before period and bloating during this time as well. Decreased appetite during period as well as loss of bloating after a few days.

w82nklsvb5r3.png

• mgeis01
    mgeis01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this directly. I do weigh myself daily and have used libra for that. I do track my monthly cycle and it is very predictable as well.

Really, I would just say stick with excel or some other spreadsheet (I like google sheets as well). There was a time where I would input data from multiple sources to a spreadsheet. I track calories in using MFP, calories out using my Samsung Gear Sport, and cycle tracking using flo. Below is what I did when I was data tracking like that. My weight loss lined up with it so the data I got was accurate enough.

The main trends I noticed were increased hunger after ovulation, before period and bloating during this time as well. Decreased appetite during period as well as loss of bloating after a few days.

Yes! This is exactly what I want to do. But I'm not quite sure how to best incorporate cycle data into the spreadsheet. I could flag OV and period days on the graph, but that requires drawing in lines. If there was a more automated way to set it up so going forward I would just import the data....? I am somewhat excel / Google Sheets savvy, but I am no expert.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I understand you want more data, but for me, glancing at the calendar where I track ovulation and menstruation, and comparing it to the spikes, was enough to see I retain water at those times. Just knowing that's a regular thing was enough for me.

This is Excel.

m4dwcuia4ufv.png
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    mgeis01 wrote: »

Yes! This is exactly what I want to do. But I'm not quite sure how to best incorporate cycle data into the spreadsheet. I could flag OV and period days on the graph, but that requires drawing in lines. If there was a more automated way to set it up so going forward I would just import the data....? I am somewhat excel / Google Sheets savvy, but I am no expert.

No advice for how to export the data easily. Depending on how predictable your cycle is, you could set a formula to color code the date? My cycle is very regular, but I can still have up to a 3 day fluctuation.
  • ThisMomIsOnAMission
    ThisMomIsOnAMission Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There is actually an app that I use called iPeriod (the free version, which is what I use, is iPeriod Lite). Although I’ve never used it in this way, I know that there are several things that you can track by day of your cycle (weight, mood, etc.). It may be worth checking out.