what is the point of logging?

Options
hilla1996
hilla1996 Posts: 19 Member
edited August 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I am a binge eater.

But I dont just let myself be free and consume.

I keep track of what I eat and count the calories.

Does anyone else do this?

I will obsessively measure out peanut butter and chocolate spread but not stop when I reach my goal or limit for the day.

The point of tracking is to know when you should stop but how do you actually stop?

This is my issue with calorie counting.

Today I ate 3150 calories, I rode my bike for about 2.5 hours (30 miles) and I walked about 5 miles.

I should have stopped at 2500 to stay in a calorie defecit as I want to lose about 7 pounds ( I am 5'7 and 130-135 pounds depending on whether I have binged or not, usually around 133)

I dont have control to stop eating but I have control to count everything, its so frustrating and pointless.

I know calories in/out is the way to go but I feel so envious of people who just eat and dont even think about tracking.

Thats my rant....I used to be 150 plus pounds and 5 months ago I lost some weight and have been maintaning.

I binged then and I binged now....my body does not care where I am at weight wise it just wants calories.

people that are overweight binge eat as well, the body is requesting excess calories to numb emotional pain or who knows honestly.

anyone else relate to this?

I should be happy with my 20 pound weight loss but I still get bloated and feel horrible and regretful after a binge.

Replies

• hilla1996
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Have you thought about taking to a professional regarding your binge eating?

I am scared...I dont want to be labeled.....
  • hilla1996
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I just noticed that if you lose 7 lb, you will be on the borderline between underweight and normal.

I hate that I conform to these stupid and pointless western beauty ideals....but being on the thinner side is more valued....When I was 150 pounds I was swimming 4x a week for two hours I was incredibly strong....But no one thought I was sporty or athletic, now I get complimented all the time and I guess it goes to my head

I was a size 8 and I recently went to the store and the size 4 dresses zipped up easily and I could have worn a 2
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    hilla1996 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    I am a binge eater.

I will obsessively measure out peanut butter and chocolate spread but not stop when I reach my goal or limit for the day.

The point of tracking is to know when you should stop but how do you actually stop?

Today I ate 3150 calories, I rode my bike for about 2.5 hours (30 miles) and I walked about 5 miles.

I should have stopped at 2500 to stay in a calorie defecit as I want to lose about 7 pounds ( I am 5'7 and 130-135 pounds depending on whether I have binged or not, usually around 133)

I dont have control to stop eating but I have control to count everything, its so frustrating and pointless.

I know calories in/out is the way to go but I feel so envious of people who just eat and dont even think about tracking.

Thats my rant....I used to be 150 plus pounds and 5 months ago I lost some weight and have been maintaning.

I binged then and I binged now....my body does not care where I am at weight wise it just wants calories.

people that are overweight binge eat as well, the body is requesting excess calories to numb emotional pain or who knows honestly.

I should be happy with my 20 pound weight loss but I still get bloated and feel horrible and regretful after a binge.

You did a lot of exercise. I find that I can be ravenously hungry after that, then it calms down the next day.

If you were over today, to maintain, you can be under a bit for a day or two. No biggie.

I'm worried you're not enjoying eating after your exercise.

The point of logging?

To have some control over your weight, and to have caloric awareness.

You have caloric awareness, but today it seems you have no control.

If this is a big problem for a long time, take away the logging and see if it makes you change your behaviour, since it's not helping give you control. Perhaps you like doing the "wrong" thing.

Check out the Maintenance forum. Maintaining is a whole different game, just as hard if not harder than losing weight. Good luck, and well done for asking in here.

So for me I am actually hungry the day after I work out....Its like the hunger just hits me like a tidal wave

I used to just eat anything in sight but now I buy nicer fresh food so at least the food I am eating is what I want and not random leftovers

I'm always hungrier after a workout/run. Either that day or the next. That's normal.

If you're dieting and exercising you need to eat back your exercise calories. There are hundreds of threads about that, so you wouldn't be the first not to know.

Are you bingeing every day?
  • kmccrom
    kmccrom Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post OP... it was helpful to me. I agree with everyone that professional help will empower you.

You bring up an important issue about exercise and weight loss. I had some of the same issues as you. Ironically, exercising less led to me losing more weight. This is a head trip for me. I love big cardio sessions like long bike rides and walks, but yes they can at times make me ravenous. On the other hand, the bingeing can have nothing to do with hunger. So, it’s a complex issue. Thanks for bringing it up to the group. I echo what @thelastnightingale said about your bravery.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater.

You ask what is the point. For me, it gives insight into the true nature of what I'm eating. It helps me to know what is a correct portion size, and what a normal meal should look like. After measuring and recording for some time, you can almost guess when your plate is too full, or if you didn't have enough for the day. You also know if it's necessary to go for one more walk this week, it if you've pushed your body too much already.

But you can't just record and ignore the summary on the chart. It is intended to drive change. Go for it. You can do it.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    What's the point of logging?

Personally, I do not want to be 242 lbs again, EVER! I am now 171.
    Logging keeps me accountable, even if only I see my food diary.
    I still would like to be thinner.
    Since my gym is still not open, I am not exercising I am not losing weight like I have in the past. Just a pound or two a month. Right now logging keeps me from gaining weight again.
    I promised myself I would not ever, ever be over 200 lbs again.
    Logging is not hard to do, It makes a difference.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    As other said, consider professional help. You seem like you have a few issues that might benefit from it: possible binge eating, possible undereating to an underweight body, and possible self image issues about your size and appearance.

Logging can accomplish a number of things.
    Done properly, it is an objective measure of food intake. This prevents a certain amount of self deception.
    Over time, the habit also builds tools that make one better at estimating food intake with less bias and more accuracy. For many that makes it possible to control weight even without needing to log.
    I also have found that logging can become a certain kind of road bump towards mindless consumption. It is easy to just eat something without consideration. Logging puts in a little friction where one is potentially justifying or least assessing what one takes in.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater.

Here's my standard advice in regards to the bolded:

What's your weekly weight loss goal? With only 7 pounds to lose, you should only be trying to lose a half pound per week. Undereating can definitely lead to overeating.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

However, because of other things you said, I echo the suggestion to seek professional help.

I don't think of it as a label but rather a diagnosis, and as such a starting point for getting help :)

ps - eating higher protein (and fiber) makes me less prone to episodes of uncontrolled eating.

:flowerforyou: