Ventricular tachycardia

Options
Was just diagnosed with VT and looking to change my diet and exercise lifestyle to stay healthy. Anyone else have experience with this?

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. :) The most common recommendation I have seen is to reduce your caffeine intake, since high caffeine levels can contribute to heart arrhythmias. Did your cardiologist have more specific recommendations on what to do? If it's a congenital condition then you can't really "fix" it with diet and exercise, but you can try to reduce activities/foods that might cause an episode.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    For other cardiovascular diagnoses I decided to exercise and lose weight. Sure enough, it works.

I had a life-threatening heart arrhythmia several years ago. Afterward, I had to go see a cardiologist. She interviewed me closely about my habits and examined the test results. Her decree? Keep drinking coffee. Don't start drinking other energy drinks.
  • mmashike
    mmashike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have definitely cut back on caffeine. I went from drinking about 5-6 sodas a day to one. Not sure if that's helping or just the beta blocker I was put on. My wife and I have drastically cut back on the fast food as well. I did a cardio workout today and when I was done, my heart rate went right back down so that's definitely an improvement.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    mmashike wrote: »
    I have definitely cut back on caffeine. I went from drinking about 5-6 sodas a day to one. Not sure if that's helping or just the beta blocker I was put on. My wife and I have drastically cut back on the fast food as well. I did a cardio workout today and when I was done, my heart rate went right back down so that's definitely an improvement.

Hi. I was wondering if you are still on MFP and how is it going? By any chance do you have pvcs also? I have both and am hoping a less caffeinated diet will help some.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options
    I don't know if OP is still on mfp. In case he isn't, wondering if anyone else has both and if diet has helped? Thanks.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

Hi. I was wondering if you are still on MFP and how is it going? By any chance do you have pvcs also? I have both and am hoping a less caffeinated diet will help some.

Don’t know anything about ventricular tachycardia but what helped me with my pvcs was stress reduction. I had them very severely for about six months and then they just mostly stopped. I get them again occasionally when under stress but not constantly like they used to be. I also felt like when I was getting them, eating too much at one sitting would set them off.
  • ChrissyChickie
    Options

Don’t know anything about ventricular tachycardia but what helped me with my pvcs was stress reduction. I had them very severely for about six months and then they just mostly stopped. I get them again occasionally when under stress but not constantly like they used to be. I also felt like when I was getting them, eating too much at one sitting would set them off.

Thanks. I'm definitely working on the stress reduction. I'm listening to hypnosis tapes and trying to avoid a lot of things that just add stress in my life (hence I gave up facebook). I haven't noticed whether things are worse after eating, but will try to make note of when things are worse.
  • AngelOfMusic1028
    AngelOfMusic1028 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Tachycardia a year or two ago. Cutting back on caffeine does help. I've found the more weight I lose and the healthier I eat, the lower my resting heart rate is (it was 110 and now that I've lost 23 lbs it's down to mid 90s). I was put on a low dose beta blocker as well but ran out of that months ago. Stress reduction is also a plus however, these days, it's hard not to be stressed. My doctor also said my anxiety can have a part in it too. all in all, it won't fix itself overnight. It's a process just like everything else, but keep working on it and you'll get there
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If the doctor says a pill will help, don't be afraid to take it. Getting the proper balance of an ACE inhibitor and a Beta-Blocker has my supraventricular tachycardia bigeminy totally under control and I feel MUCH better. Arrythmia kept me mentally on a hair trigger. Now the only time it gives me trouble is when I've forgotten my pills.