discouraged...

Options
I've been having trouble this lastweek and a half.... Hurricaine Irene started it by out wiping out the power... and I was unable to eat the things that I normally eat...then... the weather has been bad, and roads are still washed out, so I havn't been able to do my "calorie power blast" hiking trips that I normally do... been kinda depressed.... I know, I know! Stop complaining, and move my a*#!
So then, my hubby reccommended that I use the old stationary bike that we have in the basement.... must be from 1980... came to us from a friend.... I have used that, twice, and boy, did I sweat! (a little awkward, VERY hard seat-- even with a pillow on top-- lol) But it felt good to get my heart pumping! When I got off of the bike, I felt invigorated! I might just like this....:wink:

Then, I got on the scale this morning and it said that I weighed 6 pounds more than I did at my last weigh in , about 1 wk. ago...How is that possible? I have been staying within my daily calories, and been trying really hard to drink extra water since I was sweating really hard...I am trying to do the right thing... any advice? How could this be? I got on the scale 6 different times, and it said the same thing.....:mad:

Replies

• Shemac04
    Options
    try to change your food around...i found eating the same thing daily because it was easier to keep track i did the same thing....try a protein shake for breakfast with fruit...........then a simple salad with leftover meat from the night before for lunch and a nice dinner. Do no use any complex carbs for awhile.
  • sunshinestorm
    sunshinestorm Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for what the weather has done in your area. Its difficult to adapt to things out of our control and it sounds like you are so determined to keep chugging along. The weight gain could have something to do with stress, or water retention. If you don't notice your clothes fitting differently, its probably nothing too serious. Do you take measurements? Maybe go by those also besides the scale. I hope things start turning around for you!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    First of all your going though a "non-normal" day by all the events that happen and your body knows it. Stress will hold water back on you so that you weigh more. Also I have a theory called fake weight and real weight. If my weight jumps up 3 or 6 pounds it's a fake weight that is caused by stress or so on. As long as in 3 to 5 days you get back to your real weight then that is what counts.

Don't sweat...or do sweat the small stuff....your health is all that matters so stay on track and move forward!
  • ceschwartz
    ceschwartz Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    STRESS!!!

It causes the scale to go up even if you are perfect when it comes to movement and eating. Ignore the scale till things get better. Just make healthy choices and push yourself to stay active.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    We lost power for almost a week because of Irene and my weight spiked, mainly because we were eating out a lot (lunch and dinner) due to obvious cooking limitations, and my body is not used to that much sodium on a daily basis! High sodium meals usually keep me a few pounds up until I go back to normal (home cooked) eating, then after a few days of "sodium detox," my weight levels out again. Could that be your issue too?
  • ditzydoodle2
    Options
    Having been through many hurricanes myself, I know the type of food you eat when you have no power and I know that most of them are packed full of salt! I would guess that it's just your body holding onto some water from stress and sodium. Keep on keeping on!!
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    First of all your going though a "non-normal" day by all the events that happen and your body knows it. Stress will hold water back on you so that you weigh more. Also I have a theory called fake weight and real weight. If my weight jumps up 3 or 6 pounds it's a fake weight that is caused by stress or so on. As long as in 3 to 5 days you get back to your real weight then that is what counts.

Don't sweat...or do sweat the small stuff....your health is all that matters so stay on track and move forward!

That's great advice!
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    don't give up on it, continue staying within your calories, drinking lots of water, see what happens next weigh in, you know you didn't gain 6lbs in a week, i would bet it will look better at the next weigh in.
  • Nine1985
    Options
    what could i advise is to lower your calorie intake by eating more fruits and veggies plus if you could find a protein drink that will help you not crave a lot and feel fuller, then for your exercise simple jumping jack or jumping rope will help you burn lots of calories and lastly stay focused as weight will not drop instantly we have to pound and enjoy what we do:wink::wink:
  • dashbeaujippers
    dashbeaujippers Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. Seems as though u were all right! I ended up only gaining 1 pound by my next weigh in. I will keep drinking and exercising and tracking my food. Thanks again to all!
    Amie happy: