How do I adjust back to gym workouts after home workouts?

Options
Before lockdown I only went gym 3-4
times a week strength upper/lower. Now I’ve actually worked out way during lockdown maybe 6/7 times week sometimes twice a day . So I’m not quite sure what way I should be training now . Haven’t had proper plan in a long while was doing few different plans or ones from previous PT in old gym few years old . At the moment keeping up what was doing at home only with heavier weights instead of light weight only doing them in the gym . I’m not sure how should be training now or what to do. Should I just keep at this same level of working out?

Replies

• RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much what I plan to do when the gym is open up around here. I only have up to 25 lb dumbbells here so I plan to do some of the same moves depending on the day just at the gym and I'm going to try to up my weight
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    The first day that our gyms reopened (early June), I went on a Saturday. Saturday was my bench day. I brought my workout log, copied all the accessory bench exercises, and just started. I had to cut the weight significantly across the board. Next day was a heavy leg day. I just copied down all the leg work, cut the weight, and just started. For me, gym lifting is always preferable, b/c I'm more motivated and have access to more equipment.

2 months later, I'm moving closer to pre-quarantine lifting. I'm not constantly looking back at my old notes; I'm trying to enjoy the process of rebuilding my strength realizing that everyone at the gym is in the same boat.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    What is your goal?

The goal is fat loss . I do mixture of strength and hiit training at the moment split over 5-6 days.
    I like the home workout although it seems good for the gym also but just want to get back to gym workouts maybe there something better I can be doing. I still do the main lifts deadlifts , squats etc.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Do the HIIT or conditioning WOD after your power lifts.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    mizzcasual wrote: »
    What is your goal?

The goal is fat loss . I do mixture of strength and hiit training at the moment split over 5-6 days.
    I like the home workout although it seems good for the gym also but just want to get back to gym workouts maybe there something better I can be doing. I still do the main lifts deadlifts , squats etc.

I might suggest you consider hypertrophy based training instead of strength basedwith your goal.

Take out any singles (af any)unless you are using singles to calculate intensity for volume.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    mizzcasual wrote: »
    What is your goal?

I might suggest you consider hypertrophy based training instead of strength basedwith your goal.

Take out any singles (af any)unless you are using singles to calculate intensity for volume.

Whats hypertrophy training? although there is quite bit of hiit still in the strength sessions from the way the workouts I was doing were. Theres some amraps , or emom at the start are at the end before the strength sections.
  • RepswithRyan
    Options
    wmzu8ybspdj3.jpeg
  • RepswithRyan
    Options
    It is a lot more complex than that but the general idea of hypertrophy is to work your muscles to stimulate growth.

Many bodybuilders do intense hypertrophy routine with either 3 sets of 10 repetitions or 4 sets of 8 repetitions.

I am sure Chieflrg will explain it in a lot more detail than me.