Can you lose weight by drinking tea?

Options
Can you lose weight by drinking tea?
I like drinking tea.

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories. I drank lots of tea when I was more than a hundred pounds heavier, and I still drink lots of tea. Specific foods or drinks don't cause or stop fat loss. If you're trying to lose weight you may
    need to account for anything you add to the tea in your calories (sugar, cream, milk, anything else that has calories).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    If you used to drink masses of high calorie drinks and now switched to tea then this might just be enough to lose weight.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I drink roughly 2 liters of tea per day (unsweetened and no milk or other additives, just hot water and the tea leaves respectively whatever herbal tea happens to be my current favorite). If that alone could cause weight loss, I'd be super model thin by now.

Alas, I'm obese and need to lose about 40 kg...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Fat is stored energy created by surplus eating. The only non surgical mechanism for getting rid of it is by using it. Create a calorie/energy deficit. Enjoy tea as you can make it fit in your calorie budget.

• AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I find that a cup of blueberry tea can help tide me over when I crave a snack. In that sense it assists me in my calorie deficit which is what is required for weight loss.

In good news tea has a negligible amount of calories assuming you drink it black, so you can definitely keep drinking tea even if you need to cut calories elsewhere. If however you are like an old flat mate of mine who drank about 8 pints of tea per day with 2 Tbsp of sugar in each, that’s a lot of liquid calories that need to be evaluated.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight WHILE drinking tea if you're in a calorie deficit.

You won't lose weight BY drinking tea, although some people do find that if they replace higher calorie food or beverages with tea this can help them create a calorie deficit (assuming they're not just adding calories elsewhere).

I drink lots of tea. I love the taste. Of course, I drank lots of tea while I was overweight too . . .
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight by drinking tea* - if you are in a calorie deficit.

If you drink tea* and are not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight

* substitute 'tea' for any food or drink item - yes you can lose weight by eating bananas or donuts or chicken sandwiches or whatever - if you are in a calorie deficit.

Or not if you are not in one.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Elaborate. Are you thinking that it burns fat in no time at all or something along those lines.

Are you thinking of Detox Tea. If so, just know that you are not 'toxed' and if you were actually 'toxed' there's no amount of tea that could detox you. It would mean your liver has gone kaput. There are Detox Teas out there that make people sick with ultra high amounts of caffeine and other kinds of multi-cr@p ingredients.

You like tea. Me, too.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,642 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Elaborate. Are you thinking that it burns fat in no time at all or something along those lines.

Are you thinking of Detox Tea. If so, just know that you are not 'toxed' and if you were actually 'toxed' there's no amount of tea that could detox you. It would mean your liver has gone kaput. There are Detox Teas out there that make people sick with ultra high amounts of caffeine and other kinds of multi-cr@p ingredients.

You like tea. Me, too.

Why do I want to go up to people and and ask if they're toxed now?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I drink tea.

I lost weight.

Therefore the answer is yes.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,806 Member
    Options
    I drink a sugar free chai latte that I created. Adding foamed skim milk makes it feel creamy and satisfying. I drink them two or three times a day, between meals and snacks.

For me, hot and creamy lattes fool me into being able to tide off the munchies.

So in that regards, yes, tea has helped me lose weight.

If you’re looking for a magical weight loss tea, however, if such a thing existed, the maker would be richer than Croesus.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal iced tea all day then hot tea at night, the latter keeps me from pigging out so it helped me lose weight.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Sure. I mean, tea is just hot water with leaves in it, and the more water you drink, the more likely you are to feel full more often. It's not a magic trick, it's just you upping your water intake... plus leaves.

Disclaimer: I don't add milk or sugar to my tea, so it really is just hot water and leaves in my case. If you add stuff to it and drink enough cups, that might waste quite a lot of your calories.
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Um no. Regular exercise and diet including tea? Sure
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @glassyo Ain't nobody got time for being all toxed.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Based off the website in her profile she's advertising for Chinese teas. Mfp doesn't seem to care if people advertise links in their profiles, or links to their YouTube or Instagram account.

oh another pretend question to lead into a sales pitch

t1933.gif

• cmriverside
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Based off the website in her profile she's advertising for Chinese teas. Mfp doesn't seem to care if people advertise links in their profiles, or links to their YouTube or Instagram account.

I think they do care, you just have to report it.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I used to be one of those who reported nekkid pics on peoples' profiles.

Haven't seen one in a while.

I've been looking.

Not really.