Do you track your steps?

Options
Do you? And do you use it to add calories to your diary? If you do what app do you use?

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I do not. I find it easiest to set my activity level to not active (or whatever the lowest is) and then all my steps beyond that give me a little bit of wiggle room with my measuring and weighing.

I have a Garmin watch so I have used it to track my steps in the past. But it’s kind of uncomfortable to wear all day and I felt like I became too obsessive with it and getting 10,000 steps (even though there’s no science behind that number it’s just a number made up by one of the watch companies).
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,618 Member
    Options
    If you have a Fitbit it syncs with MFP. I select my workouts and that gives me and adjustment as does my steps.
  • Jackiefrost1013
    Jackiefrost1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit and it’s synced to mfp. My steps are tracked and exercise automatically.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    It can definitely get you in a weird mindset if you obsess over it (I have seen a couple people on here wanting to wear it on their ankle while biking so they could get steps), but for me it’s a tool to track my overall activity level. I was sick late winter (potentially COVID) and could tell you how I was feeling based on step counts. Even now, if I have a fibro flare up I can see it on my tracking and can tell you when I finally get past it. Today I have over 20k steps thanks to a long run, tomorrow I might have 3k, whatever.
  • ALZ14
    ALZ14 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was pretty sedentary (desk job and lazy) so I bought an Apple Watch and realized some days I barely got 3,000 steps in. I have my calorie goal to sedentary and to lose 1 pound a week. I sync my steps up but don’t usually eat my exercise calories back and that helps increase my weight loss without being super restricted with my calories.
  • Melly045
    Melly045 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit and track my steps but i don’t have it linked to MFP. If i walk in the treadmill i add the time to my tracker but i don’t add the additional steps from my for it as i don’t want it to add additional calories for the day.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I just track my steps through the regular Apple health app. It does mean I miss out on some steps since I don’t usually carry my phone around with me when I’m inside (whether at home or at work), however I figure the error is consistent so I don’t mind.

I don’t add calories back for my steps, but I try to aim for 10K registered steps daily. It does help motivate me to go for a walk late afternoon if I’ve been quite sedentary earlier in the day.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I never count my steps. I'm an accountant so in my personal life I resist counting anything.
  • eawil1991
    eawil1991 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I count mine using Google Fit, but I also work reta, so its interesting to see how many steps I walk in a typical shift. It adds the calories as exercise, but that also means I can be a little more indulgent when I get home.
  • FitterFifteen
    FitterFifteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My phone (iphone) is pretty much always on me, so I track my steps with that, although I don’t obsess with hitting a certain goal.