Am I just destined to always be the pudgy one?...

Options
Good morning all. I thought I'd just have a little venting session today as I sip my java, and perhaps some of you out there in the MFP community have been where I am at now, and have some kind of miracle pill or magic potion to suggest?

Today marks my 25th day of logging onto MFP, and I have to admit I'm slightly hooked. Every night as I cook dinner, I have my laptop on the counter, so I can log my food in and check what works and what doesn't. My husband gives me strange looks as I add, subtract, and change ingredients to better fit the days plan. He asks me if I'm, "Done on your diet site" so I can sit down with them. "Hush" I tell him. "Moms are always the last ones to sit down anyways."

When I started this 25 days ago, I was 171.1. Six days later I was 166.6! Could it be?? Was keeping track actually working for me? Then an all too familiar thing started happening as I jumped eagerly on the scale every other day...slowly that number started creeping back up...and now today, at day 25, I am a whopping 168.8. Mere ounces from my start weight.

Eating: I have on most days been sticking to my 1200 calories MFP has calculated for me. Sure I have had a few cheat days (about 4 total), which really wern't even total cheat days (aside from 1 =P). No McDonalds or steak and cheese. I just went over my calories on those days. Sometimes a little more than other days, but remember at least 6 days out of the week, I met my goal of 1200... I have heard time and time again people have those days, and it's actually a good thing and helps wt loss, but that doesn't seen to be the case for me.

From suggestions I tried cutting back on sodium. Again I lost a pound, and gained it right back. I try not to go over my carbs as well, but it's harder than giving birth juggling those things. As soon as I start cutting carbs, the calories go up. I cut the calories more, the sodium goes up. I try to eat whole foods, low in carbs and sodium (chicken breast , veggies), but then it seems as if I just can't get enough calories for the day eating that way. I know it's not supposed to be easy, but honestly I'm at a loss... I'm no idiot. I aced nutrition in college and I find myself lecturing my family on the importance of good healthy eating. Why, oh why then, does it not seem to click for me? I have had all my labs checked several times, thinking a sluggish thyroid perhaps? Nope. Everything is in good working order. Oh, and yes. I am eating a small snack in between meals.

I started zig zag dieting due to some good things I had heard. Today is day 4. I am doing 2 low days, with a calorie deficit of 800 from maintenance. Then I do 1 maintenance calories day. So 2 low, 1 maintenance, 2 low, 1 maintenance, on so on... Low and behold after my 1st maintenance day, the scale jumped almost 2 pounds...I'm super bummed, but will try this for the remainder of the week and see what happens. Anyone know if I am doing the schedule right?

Exercise: Ok. I was immobile for months. Not literally, but I lost my nursing job and lost motivation. Summer in Florida meant this New England native was certainty NOT going for brisk walks or to the park with the kids... I'm more of an "indoor" girl as it is, and never liked sweaty unbearable things. So after a few days on MFP I mustered up some motivation and started exercising again. I have spinal arthritis, so it's not like I can go buff it out at the gym (nor would I want to) so mostly what I do is cardio: tread mill mixed with short intervals of faster, slower, running up my stairs, jump roping, crunches, push ups. I read a few places that mixing it up like that could give better results? I have also been increasing the time spent exercising, going from 30 mins to now around 50. I do that about 4 days a week now, and its consistent. More so than it has ever been in my life. I sweat my @#$ off too let me tell you. But if feels good, and on days I don't do it, are always my bad, low energy days, so I'm not stopping.

As far as inches lost...call me crazy but they have actually increased!! I know your not supposed to rely on the scale so much, but A) I'm really not doing much that would build so much muscle that it would add weight. B) It seems I should have SOME loss by now...After a week of no loss, I thought maybe it was indeed muscle (from a treadmill??) so I had my husband measure, and a few days ago we rechecked and things were either the same or BIGGER! Kill me...

So that's it. My struggle continues. I laugh every time I meet my calorie goals and MFP tells me "If every day was like today, you'd weigh XXX in 5 weeks."...Well I must be a freak of nature, because it's been 4 weeks and not much has changed except my eating and activity level, which have shown improvements. Am I destined to a life of rice cakes and salad greens just to maintain the pudgy size 12 that is me? I'm sure I am doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it is. If I had the $ I would hire a weight loss coach to follow me around and tell me exactly what to do and what to eat. Yeah. That's not happening any time soon. Not sure if anyone is even reading this, or to whom I'm even writing. Myself perhaps? Regardless, it always feels good to B@#ch =)

Replies

• ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try to see the positive - you've lost a few pounds! Maybe you just lose weight slower, or your weight loss is going to take a little longer to get going. Try to only weigh yourself once a week - I know the numbers on the scales can give the ultimate high and low, but intellectually everyone knows they're not the be-all and end-all! Just keep it up, keep trying and see how things are in a month or so.
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Are you eating your exercise calories? At 1200 calories, you are at the minimum. Its possible that you set your activity level too low. With kids you might be more active than you think. So, if you are not eating enough, your body will not let you lose. There a lot of posts on this site about calories and eating what you burn. I won't tell you which way to go, everyone is a little different. But I do know if you are not eating enough, your body will store everything. Plus, you need to be drinking enough water and getting enough fiber. Those and sleep are really key to allowing your body to have everything it needs. Then it works more properly, and when you burn more than you consume over the course of a week, you will lose.

Keep at it. Sometime our bodies do just need time to adjust to the healthy changes we make. Consistency is the key. And, you can celebrate that you have more energy, which helps you feel better.
  • ecs1516
    ecs1516 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you been working out? Making fat weight is changing to muscle weight? I think muscle weighs more but I am not sure.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Good luck on your journey
  • parrothead48116
    Options
    Two things. One - I know this isn't scientific, but when I was working out and eating less 5 years ago it seemed to take a few months before things really started to turn around. Thinking of a moving train - it takes a while to slow it to a stop and then start pushing the other way. I guess what I am saying is that you might just needed enough time to build the momentum, and since the mind is really powerful - tell yourself (and your body) that you aren't going to stop doing this for at least a year, and mean it. Maybe your body will then start burning those stored calories, since it knows you mean business.

Second - A friend of mine told me about the 300 calorie per meal limit. I had heard eating 5-6 times a day was better, but I never heard a number per meal. He said that this guru he was listening to said the body can only process 300 calories at any time. Anything above that goes to fat. I am 6" 4' and 235, so 300 calories is pretty tough to stay within, but if you tell yourself that you can eat in 3 hours, it is easier. He even said eating before bed is fine as long as you stay within the 300 calorie limit.

Good luck!
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Your post made me smile :) in a totally good way. I'm going through the same thing too. I've been on this now for about 2 months regularly, and I've been trying to get my bum off to exercise for the last 6 months. And it's been slow going to say the least.

I was a size 8 at my slimmest! And my goal is to get back to that. I started as a size 12 in December last year, and now I'm starting to fit into size 10 clothes (sucking my stomach in helps :P).

The difference with me is that my focus is exercise. I love my food too much to diet. It depresses me which is just not worth it.

I started with Bikram yoga a few months ago - felt that helped a lot. But it was too intense so I left that after about 2 weeks. Weight came right back on again. Then I tried swimming in the mornings so I could get into a routine. That worked really well. Got me off to a great start to the day and worked on my body slowly. Overall, between this and Bikram Yoga, I lost about 1.4 kilos in like 5 months. Mind you, that's depressing!! And I don't measure myself everyday because of it. But I had to admit, it was because I wasn't watching what I ate, or really putting my heart into it.

Then after June this year, I decided to really give it a go. I stopped smoking (yey), I bought new trainers, sports bras and a new kit, and decided to keep a track on MFP. I now get to the gym almost every evening (around 5 times a week). I started with lots of cardio. Lost a kilo. Then I got on to www.bodybuilding.com and found myself a fat loss routine, which I think is working wonders at toning me up. But again, I feel lost because I can SEE my stomach is tighter, but the damn measuring tape insists it's the same number of inches wide!! It's impossible. I feel like I'm doomed to stay this size too.

But the key is to NOT measure yourself. Because eventually it's not about telling people what you weigh, or what size dress you are. If you keep at it, and you eat right (which you're already good at), you'll see weight dropping, albeit slowly. Exercise is key, and with your arthiritis I'm not sure what you CAN do. But try to do as much as possible. Feel yourself getting tighter and let the scale be. If you're brave, get on the scale after a month! Then see the difference.

And since your back is an issue, get to doing yoga. It works wonders. And I'm not saying this just because I'm Indian :). I've tried and it works! Not just on your body, but also on your mind.

Most importantly, don't believe you'll always be pudgy. It just takes a bit longer to get into shape, especially if it's taken years of neglect to get to the size you're at (12's not bad btw.. :) I'm saying this to keep myself happy too).

PS - I'm going to add you if you don't mind.. and I'm a complete fan of b(*&$ing too :P
  • pal26
    pal26 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm no expert, but definitley don't weigh yourself every other day - try to keep it the same time, once a week. Don't lose hope with the exercise, but definitely vary it, your body gets use to it, so you do need to vary it quite a bit. If you can't afford a trainer, join a gym and try some of the cardio classes, they are amazing when other people are motivating you, rather than doing it yourself.

Good luck

Pal
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I understand you frustration - and laugh because some of the things you were venting are exactly how I have been feel!!! Especially the "in 5 weeks you would weigh xxx" .

We must keep at it though - stick with it and you will reap the rewards!!!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat. Don't rely on the numbers on the scale only as it can be misleading! Take your measuring tape and measure your arms, waist, hips, thighs. Measure them again next week and see if you lost inches.

Have you noticed a change in how your clothes fit?
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I've had a look at the last week of your diary and I'd say you need to be more consistent.

Over the last week, last Wednesday was over, Thursday was incomplete (what happened there?), Friday and Saturday were not filled in, Sunday you had 154 cals left, Monday you had 162 cals left, but then Tuesday you were 978 over. I see that you were zigzagging but the amount you were over is lots more than the amounts you were under. Given the 3 incomplete days, I suspect you were way over for the average of the week.

Have you (honestly!) tried just sticking to 1200 each day - eat exercise calories, but maybe leave 100 or so uneaten if there is a possibility that your burns are not accurate. Stick with that every. single. day.

Hope that helps as a suggestion.
  • girlypop
    Options
    Consistency is the key. It's only been 25 days not even four weeks. I know it can be frustrating but the day to day numbers on the scale will vary and aren't important. Whether you weigh in at 166.6 or 168.8, could literally be a difference of pure water being retained in the body... You need to stick with a course of action for a while to see results. Keep eating right and exercising, you'll see changes in your body soon. i would suggest weighing yourself no more than once a week because even if you've done everything right all week it should take a week to lose 1-2lbs. This way you don't have to obsess over the numbers and can work on diet and exercise.
  • shiroosh111
    Options
    First off I think you are actually doing REALLY great!! to stick with it for as long as you have, pass through the challenges and still keep going deserves a pat on the back in my book!! I am no expert as I am in the same boat as you. However, remember how you said you know all about nutricion and could talk about it and even teach people... well, its always easier said than done as you know. I will give you a few tips that really help me. The trick is to actually FOLLOW them!! for real!!
    1) cutting down salt and carbs and all that other stuff will help you lose quickly, but not keep it off, so have a bit of everything but in moderation!
    2) NOT ALL CALORIES ARE CREATED EQUAL!! having a donut and coffee for breakfast may be the same calories as an egg, whole wheat toast and a bowl of fruit. But the donut gets digested different, faster and leaves you hungry much sooner. Plus it hinders your weight loss. So don't just cut calories, try balance.
    3) You said you were a mom so I know you do this... don't deny it!... No more tasting, unless you count that 1 potato chip, or 1 bite of your kids unfinished sandwhich in to the calorie counter... Do you know how many cals.in a teaspoon of mac and cheese? .... Every BITE every LICK every TASTE gets accounted for! seriously!
    4)buy lots of veggies like carrots, celery and cucumbers. The minute you get home wash, peal, slice etc. all the veggies and keep them in a container with a bit of water in yout fridge. If you do this then you will have munchies available the second you open the fridge. Think about this, If you are in the mood for a small snack, you can easily get that 100 calorie pack of cookies, or the baked potato chips etc... But what if it were just as easy to grab some carrots? I know they don't taste the same but if they are easy to get without having to get them ready, you will eat them... and pssst... your kids will too ;)
    5) Know your body... check which foods trigger you to eat more, which ones satisfy... everyone is different... Some people, like us, just have to work harder to get the same goal.
    6) this should have been #1 DRINK YOUR WATER!!! WATER!!!! WATER!!! GUZZLE IT!! SIP IT!! DRINK IT UP!! WATER!!!!

Hope some of this helps :)
    Be happy...
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    I hear your frustration! I think the other posters have really good comments and advice, and as unsatisfying as it is to hear, you just need to keep pushing through! I think there is also a lot of focus on gaining and losing weight, but weight isn't necessarily fat. For some people, a new diet means a lot more fiber. Not everyone...er...eliminates at the same speed, so if you've been eating lots of veggies, whole grains, etc, you might be literally full of it. :noway: Increase in sodium consumption or even hormonal changes can lead to water retention too. these things show up on the scale and on the measuring tape but that doesn't mean that you have gained fat. So, hang in there, drink lots of water, put the scale away for a while, and maybe focus on the non-weight related benefits of this lifestyle change that you've discovered! You're doing great!
  • ChanMay
    Options
    I have days where I feel the exact same way. I am also a slow loser compared to everyone else. It is very frustrating to not see that weight just slide right off!! I have to keep reminding myself that even if I have only lost 2 pounds this month, what would my weight be if I hadn't been keeping track?? I would have gained for sure!
    You are doing fantastic job!! Stick with it :) The old saying is true.. slow and steady wins the race!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Your body's shape and size doesn't have a destiny. Sometimes it's more difficult for people to figure out how they lose weight best, but you will find your way. Good luck.