HELP!! Am I overreacting?? Slight weight gain

Options
Hi everyone,

Please help me to rationalise this/explain/ I just need some other opinions.

I started tracking everything I ate, i mean everything, properly seriously on the 12th of July. Everything that went through my mouth I measured with a food scale (still am). I have also been working out on most days.. if I dont do a full on work out I just make sure I go out for a walk for at least an hour. During this pandemic I have been working from home since March so I just have to be intentional about my exercise otherwise I would be sitting down the whole day.

Anyways since the 12th of July I have managed to lose weight each week consistently on my weigh in days. Which is always on a Sunday. Today was my weigh in day and I was slightly shocked that I gained 0.5kg (1.1lbs).. it was just very disheartening because I know was eating properly as in a balanced diet but all within my calorie range (I eat back some of my exercise calories sometimes but NEVER EVER all because I know at the end of the day they are just estimates)

Is this normal that I gained this week this week? I guess I'm just confused whether to still keep going or if I need to change something. I honestly wouldn't know what I would change because I have been so so good.

Have any of you ever experienced this knowing you were being so good?

I'm going to attach my weight results below from my scale since the 12th of July.

jy282n5dmgvj.jpg

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Based on your profile picture, I’m guessing you’re female and have a menstrual cycle. You’ve been at this just under one month, so maybe you don’t know how your cycle affects weight yet. Many women gain water weight in the week leading up to their period, and often also around ovulation. In addition to cycle-related stuff, water retention and bloat often happens for a multitude of other reasons: higher carb or sodium day (both bind water into them), a heavy workout that causes muscles to swell with liquid, constipation or other digestion issues, and so on.

I ”lost” 3,5lbs on the scale from Monday to today, after spending Sun-Fri battling a heavy bloat that was worst on Monday. I also started a new sport that caused extreme muscle soreness and swelling, and had high carb high sodium meals in the beginning of the week. On Friday I got my period, and whoooosh the bloat is gone.

Comparing my trendweight from last Sunday to scale weight this Sunday I lost exactly 1 pound, so right on track. I just magically gained and lost 3,5lbs in between. Give it time, and if it has been working for you this far keep doing what you’re doing unless you hit several weeks of gaining or maintaining in a row.

If weighing in weekly works for you, there’s no reason to change it. If the fluctuations freak you out, I would recommend switching to daily weigh ins and a trendweight app (recommendations: Happy Scale for iPhone, Libra for Android) and following your trendweight instead of what the scale says on a given weigh in day. It smoothes out the ups and downs and shows what direction you’re actually going in, and gives you a nice estimation of your actual loss rate.

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I started tracking everything I ate, i mean everything, properly seriously on the 12th of July. Everything that went through my mouth I measured with a food scale (still am). I have also been working out on most days.. if I dont do a full on work out I just make sure I go out for a walk for at least an hour. During this pandemic I have been working from home since March so I just have to be intentional about my exercise otherwise I would be sitting down the whole day.

Anyways since the 12th of July I have managed to lose weight each week consistently on my weigh in days. Which is always on a Sunday. Today was my weigh in day and I was slightly shocked that I gained 0.5kg (1.1lbs).. it was just very disheartening because I know was eating properly as in a balanced diet but all within my calorie range (I eat back some of my exercise calories sometimes but NEVER EVER all because I know at the end of the day they are just estimates)

Is this normal that I gained this week this week? I guess I'm just confused whether to still keep going or if I need to change something. I honestly wouldn't know what I would change because I have been so so good.

I'm going to attach my weight results below from my scale since the 12th of July.

jy282n5dmgvj.jpg

Yes you’ve over reacting! Get used to the ups and downs. Last September when I started losing weight I didn’t see any losses for 6 weeks and then I lost 6 lbs. Recently my weight was stuck at 155 lbs for 8 weeks and it suddenly dropped down to 151 lbs. So nothing happened for 8 weeks! Patience is key and using a weight trending app has really helped me. It’s probably your menstrual cycle.
    Here’s my trend over the past 6 months:
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    According to my scale I gained 1.2 pounds since yesterday. No worries. I'll just stay on track. I expect to see some weeks with a small increase, some weeks with no changes, but it's that downward trend I'll be looking for.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    According to my scale I gained 3lbs since yesterday morning. I got very dehydrated yesterday from being active in the heat for hours. Then came home late and still ate something (more waste in digestive tract), drank a lot (water weight, because after dehydration at least my body stores fluids like crazy) and fluid retention from salt, because I really needed that. It'll be gone in a day or two.
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Weight fluctuates. Just look for a downward trend over time.

What Moosie says!!

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,477 Member
    Options
    Don't panic - weight fluctuations are totally normal. I'll see mine move 2-3 pounds in a day based on hydration, carb intake, blah blah blah...no reason to stress.
  • foreverkudzi
    foreverkudzi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Very normal. Weight fluctuates. Just look for a downward trend over time.

Lol okay thank you. I will be patient!
  • foreverkudzi
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    Based on your profile picture, I’m guessing you’re female and have a menstrual cycle. You’ve been at this just under one month, so maybe you don’t know how your cycle affects weight yet. Many women gain water weight in the week leading up to their period, and often also around ovulation. In addition to cycle-related stuff, water retention and bloat often happens for a multitude of other reasons: higher carb or sodium day (both bind water into them), a heavy workout that causes muscles to swell with liquid, constipation or other digestion issues, and so on.

I ”lost” 3,5lbs on the scale from Monday to today, after spending Sun-Fri battling a heavy bloat that was worst on Monday. I also started a new sport that caused extreme muscle soreness and swelling, and had high carb high sodium meals in the beginning of the week. On Friday I got my period, and whoooosh the bloat is gone.

Comparing my trendweight from last Sunday to scale weight this Sunday I lost exactly 1 pound, so right on track. I just magically gained and lost 3,5lbs in between. Give it time, and if it has been working for you this far keep doing what you’re doing unless you hit several weeks of gaining or maintaining in a row.

If weighing in weekly works for you, there’s no reason to change it. If the fluctuations freak you out, I would recommend switching to daily weigh ins and a trendweight app (recommendations: Happy Scale for iPhone, Libra for Android) and following your trendweight instead of what the scale says on a given weigh in day. It smoothes out the ups and downs and shows what direction you’re actually going in, and gives you a nice estimation of your actual loss rate.

Okay wow. Yes this makes a lot of sense. I will defo be checking out those apps. Thank you so much for your input. This was super helpful ♥️
  • foreverkudzi
    Options
    It could be anything from your monthly to something carby or salty you ate, to a new exercise that left you sore. All will result in a fast water gain. It could be constipation. It could be the heat outdoors affecting you. Heck, it could even be the pull of the full moon earlier this week. (J/K. Well, ought to research that further lol.)

It takes 3500 calories to make a pound. Did you eat that much over last week? Doesn’t sound like it.

I gained almost six pounds a week ago after devouring 9 ounces of Doritos. I was bloated from chest to bottom. Mathematically that makes no sense. In real life, it was like toting six water jugs. It finally came off yesterday.

No. More. Doritos.

This gave me a nice giggle. The part about the pull of the full moon LOL. Thank you for ur input and also for making me laugh
  • foreverkudzi
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

jy282n5dmgvj.jpg

Yes you’ve over reacting! Get used to the ups and downs. Last September when I started losing weight I didn’t see any losses for 6 weeks and then I lost 6 lbs. Recently my weight was stuck at 155 lbs for 8 weeks and it suddenly dropped down to 151 lbs. So nothing happened for 8 weeks! Patience is key and using a weight trending app has really helped me. It’s probably your menstrual cycle.
    Here’s my trend over the past 6 months:

Thank you! Stopping with the overreaction now 😊