Workout shoes

lgfrie
lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
Just curious if anyone is using New Balance 990v5's for general exercise, workouts, walking, etc. They are VERY expensive but I feel like it's time for me to up my game as far as footwear. I don't plan on doing any running/jogging, as I have an injured Achilles tendon. This is solely for walking and general purpose cardio, resistance training, etc.

The reviews are excellent on this model. Obviously I can't just run to a store and try them on with covid-19 and all that. The one New Balance store in the area is closed. So I am considering just taking a chance and ordering online.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    You can do returns on orders online with most places.

New Balance are the only shoes I buy for walking/trails. Love them. I have five pairs right now that I rotate...not 990v5's, but I still love all of them.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    Just make sure you understand the return policy when it comes to how worn they can be. Meaning if they'll take them back if you test them outside.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    I always buy a a model or two back to save money on my running shoes. I don’t think you need to pay a lot of money to get good shoes for exercising
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I can't speak to that exact model but I'm a big New Balance fan. I live close to two outlets. You should be able to return them on line if they don't work out. My habit is to wear mine around the house before I wear them outdoor.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    As a former diabetic, I was constantly put in New Balance shoes. I had horrible ulcers(sores) that never seemed to heal. One day, I was referred to a running store and had a shoe fitting. Saucony is what fit me and New Balance was the worst possible choice for me. You might want to research which shoes are good for pronation and such and compare that to what you are currently wearing to get an idea of which brands and models might fit you.
  • lgfrie
    edited August 2020

New Balance are the only shoes I buy for walking/trails. Love them. I have five pairs right now that I rotate...not 990v5's, but I still love all of them.

Which models do you have - do you happen to know? I have an old pair of 880 running shoes that are pretty nice, and a pair of 928 walking shoes that are the most comfortable things I've ever worn but are just too clunky and stiff for exercising, or even for walking LOL They're like gunboats. I'm hoping the 990s will, as a lot of reviewers say, be something like the 928s as far as stability, but also more flexible and usable for working out. Plus, they're made in America and these days I kind of feel like I should own at least one product that's made here.
  • cmriverside
    edited August 2020
    lgfrie wrote: »

Which models do you have - do you happen to know? I have an old pair of 880 running shoes that are pretty nice, and a pair of 928 walking shoes that are the most comfortable things I've ever worn but are just too clunky and stiff for exercising, or even for walking LOL They're like gunboats. I'm hoping the 990s will, as a lot of reviewers say, be something like the 928s as far as stability, but also more flexible and usable for working out. Plus, they're made in America and these days I kind of feel like I should own at least one product that's made here.

I use mine for walking, and I want them stiff so maybe that's why I like them.
    I'm female, and mine are a few years old, but my favorites are the ones with leather uppers/full leather.

I have trail shoes that are top of the line, full leather. They're 967. I have full leather walking shoes, 407. then I have five other pairs, a pair of cross trainers, 8507. Lightweight walkers, 474. Three pair of lightweight walker, (very old but I love them still) 470.

That doesn't help you a bit because they don't sell them any more. Some of those I bought Wides, some are regulars. All of them are my favorites. I am surprised that I have Seven! Lol.
  • cmriverside
    I just have to say, there's no way I'd pay $174 for those 990s. The one bad thing about NB is that the soles wear out or separate fairly quickly. I paid $130 for my trail shoes and they've lasted a long time, but the soles separated. I still use them for muddy trails where I don't have to listen to the squeaky separated part.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    This is solely for walking and general purpose cardio, resistance training, etc.

New Balance shoes have a raised heel, which is intended for running, but it's actually not ideal for walking, because it prevents a smooth walking gait, which can cause joint stress & orthopedic problems over time. Good walking shoes have no raised heel (a zero "heel to toe drop"). Personally i walk in Vans-type shoes, but if you like more cushion, there are zero heel running shoes, namely Altras. Keep in mind that spongy shoes aren't recommended for strength exercises like squats & deadlifts. For that, a simple pair of Converse or Vans works fine for many people.
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    This is solely for walking and general purpose cardio, resistance training, etc.

New Balance shoes have a raised heel, which is intended for running, but it's actually not ideal for walking, because it prevents a smooth walking gait, which can cause joint stress & orthopedic problems over time. Good walking shoes have no raised heel (a zero "heel to toe drop"). Personally i walk in Vans-type shoes, but if you like more cushion, there are zero heel running shoes, namely Altras. Keep in mind that spongy shoes aren't recommended for strength exercises like squats & deadlifts. For that, a simple pair of Converse or Vans works fine for many people.

Awesome info!

I love a flat or somewhat flat heel, either wear my Nano X trainers or a pair of barefoot shoes.
  • lgfrie
    Hey all, just an update.

Appreciate all the suggestions from above, however a limitation I forgot to mention in the OP is that I wear size 15 wide, so I'm hugely limited as many brands don't go beyond size 13 or 14. Vans, Altras both have this limitation.

Anyways ... so I went ahead and bought the NB 990v5's online from Zappos, because of the no-hassle return policy. All I can say is the 990s are INCREDIBLE. It seemed insane to me to spend $175 on a pair of shoes unless I could wear them at the next coronation in Balmoral, and I think the only reason I was looking at shoes for > $50 is because of covid-19 and my need to spend some $ to relieve the boredom and stress.

That said, these 990's are totally worth it for me. They're almost as stable and supportive as my old NB 928's which were like wearing weighted bricks, but these have the flex needed to walk / exercise. Support is great, but so is the cushioning and comfort. Actually tbh I've never put on a more comfortable pair of shoes. Just hope they last, because this is a shoe I can't afford to replace every six months ...