Today I realized just how our of shape I am

Options
There is a hiking trail I've been wanting to try. I've heard great things about it. So my daughter and I go. I was so excited. There was 5 or 6 trails to choose from and since I walk 1.2 miles around my neighborhood I figured I could do the 1.9. Well was I wrong. We are going right along and I noticed there is alot of stairs so I said to myself I can do this. Well after a little bit I can't breathe and I'm red as a tomato and feeling nauseous. I look at the trail sign and it says .2.

Needless to say I had to turn around i couldn't do it. I felt so bad my daughter was really looking forward to it. At least I ended up getting a mile in with the walking we did on trail and walking to car.

So my goal is to really lose this weight and to do that trail in a few months!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start increasing the mileage on your neighborhood walks and add in some hills or stairs. Do that trsil every weekend and just go a little further each time. You’ll get it!
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    [quote="lewistin74;So my goal is to really lose this weight and to do that trail in a few months![/quote]

Wow! You’re lucky you found a great goal today! If some of the other 4-5 trails are easier maybe give one of those a try before you build to the big one!! Good luck!!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don’t give up! I’m an experienced hiker and the biggest mistake I see in the meetup groups I hike with are inexperienced hikers trying to go too fast and way too many miles. Start off s l o w and build up your strength and endurance. It’s a great opportunity to get outside and also do an activity with your daughter!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I had a similar feeling yesterday. Took a friend hiking, she runs trail marathons, it was like she didn't notice all the up hill. Keeping up with her was tough, and I didn't want to slow us down. I rolled my ankle and stumbled a little, from exhaustion, near a cliff, and we decided I would stop and enjoy the view while she explored further up. I had been looking forward to seeing the sights from further up too, and didn't make it.

A lot of people ask how they can stay motivated, well, you and I have pretty good motivation. :smile:
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    The human body is an amazing thing. It can make major progress if we just put it to 'work'. I broke both of my legs in a car accident Jan '03 and they had me up in physical therapy less than a week later. Fastforward a decade+ and I figured out my physical limitations were due to my lack of movement rather than the prior injury. There are some things I physically could never do (such as play professional rugby) but most 'normal' person things are within my reach if I just put in the effort/practice/training.

Now you have a goal! Perhaps you can find a way to adjust your neighborhood walk so it has more inclines or steps? And try the trail hike again in a month or two.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    lewistin74 wrote: »
    There is a hiking trail I've been wanting to try. I've heard great things about it. So my daughter and I go. I was so excited. There was 5 or 6 trails to choose from and since I walk 1.2 miles around my neighborhood I figured I could do the 1.9. Well was I wrong. We are going right along and I noticed there is alot of stairs so I said to myself I can do this. Well after a little bit I can't breathe and I'm red as a tomato and feeling nauseous. I look at the trail sign and it says .2.

Needless to say I had to turn around i couldn't do it. I felt so bad my daughter was really looking forward to it. At least I ended up getting a mile in with the walking we did on trail and walking to car.

So my goal is to really lose this weight and to do that trail in a few months!

This is a great goal! One of the best practices for hiking for me is a stair climber. Start very slow. Alternatively, if you have access to even just one regular flight of stairs, you can practice going up and down. The down is just as important since it works a lot of the stabilizer muscles.

Another thing you can do to help with hiking next time is to invest in a pair of trekking poles. Even if you're only going to do a mile or two, trekking poles can help to distribute the work among your upper and lower body instead of just relying on your legs. These have saved me many times especially on trails that involve steep inclines/declines and stairs. They keep me going much longer than I would be able to otherwise.

Happy training and exploring!