Nausea even on a moderate calorie deficit

Options
Jleigh225
Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
Does anyone else get indigestion and nausea for the first few weeks after “getting back on the wagon” I am currently doing a moderate caloric deficit (I am not under eating) and I have nausea and indigestion by the end of the day. This happens almost every time I get back on the wagon with calorie counting and eating at a deficit. Does this happen to anyone else? And if so, is there anything I can do to avoid it that worked for you? I haven’t changed the foods I’m eating only the quantity. :(

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    So much many calories are you eating? Are you working out and eating these calories back? I'm a bit worried that you say you're not undereating, which might still mean you're only eating measly 1200 calories per day/ And if you work out on top of that and not eat those calories back then there's your answer.
  • Jleigh225
    Jleigh225 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’3 and just under 200 lbs and eating 1710 calories a day. I selected MFPs .5 lb a week. That should be quite moderate for me and I’m not currently working out except for walking.
  • ms_maruska
    ms_maruska Posts: 119 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Can't say I had indigestion but I definitely had to relearn what works and what doesn't.

What I learnt when I started dieting is that when I eat fruit in the morning I get dizzy after a couple of hours (before lunch). I avoid that now.

If you are introducing these kind of changes, something that you don't usually eat or do (I rarely ate fruit for breakfast before that, not often enough to catch the pattern) it may be that something doesn't suit you. Maybe your meal schedule or particular foods for a certain meal etc.

*Edit: sorry I totally missed the bit where you said you didn't change the foods you eat. Now I have nothing smart to add :smile:
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That sounds really strange since you haven't changed the type of foods.

You are right that it doesn't sound like you are under eating. I'm the same height and I only get 1270 calories per day on the lowest weight loss setting (0.25kg for me because I use metric). So 1710 seems very good to me!

Maybe you could try eating some different foods and see if that helps but it does seem odd given what you're saying that your body should be so unhappy with what you are feeding it.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    How radical is the change in quantity? I personally need a rather large volume to feel satisfied, and my stomach starts doing all kinds of weird stuff if I change the volume too radically.

Another thing to consider: did your meal schedule change? My stomach is also all about regularity, not just in volume but in timing. If you're doing some kind of intermittent fasting, started skipping snacks etc., that might be the problem.