Post surgery Liquid diet ideas

Options
Hello I've jus been released from hospital following my "triple abdominal incisional hernia repair and complete abdominal reconstruction " surgery.
However being put on a normal diet straight away after this surgery has now left me with an unenviable & extremely painful condition that I'm sure people are aware of. Last night there was a lot of pain screaming and even blood. I've finally been given relief cream and & awaiting a prescription for a softener.
I'm still obviously healing so have to keep up with a healthy diet but would a liquid diet work?& are there other recipes than soup? Cold preferably as it's scorching! Hoping it won't be for long but until I heal considerably better I basically would be better off with diarrhoea!
Desperately Looking for some advice thanks.

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Abdominal wall reconstruction should not have cut into any digestive tract organs. If constipation is the problem, make sure you get enough fiber and water. With that in mind, don't go the juice route but toward smoothies instead. Juices have little or no fiber and high sugar content by volume.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain as just about any dude my age has!

When I have such problems, I take soluable fiber in the afternoon and OTC Colace in the morning with a big glass of water (16oz). The fiber can come from Citrucel, Benefiber, or Metamucel. Benefiber can be mixed with just about any liquid, including herb tea, but I've found you need a lot more of it than either of the other two. Ramp up carefully to avoid cramping.

Keep at all of the above plus topicals and things will get better in a few days. Best of luck!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It is the pain medication that makes it feel like moving large concrete blocks out of your body. The stool softener should take care of it.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I had oral surgery and couldn’t chew. Broth based soups were good or you could try gazpacho. You can blend all of the veggies rather than pieces. Applesauce was good too.

You could do smoothies with protein powder. I don’t eat them, so I don’t have advice on what combos. If you do decide to brink them, try to drink the pulp too for the fiber. Most people drink pressed juices that aren’t chunky.

It sounds like your experience has scared you from eating. If I were you, I’d do a search on what foods are good for constipation and focus on them until you are regular again,
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Abdominal wall reconstruction should not have cut into any digestive tract organs. If constipation is the problem, make sure you get enough fiber and water. With that in mind, don't go the juice route but toward smoothies instead. Juices have little or no fiber and high sugar content by volume.

I believe its intestinal. bruising as well as the pain meds. I'm only now being able to read what was actually done seems like they played tetris with tubes, a full "repacking" but at least everything is where it should be now. x
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. The softener arrives today so hopefully relief will soon follow. I've never taken anything like it before so fingers crossed.
    Yes you're right about my being scared to eat. I may be over reacting but I'm not sure how to overcome this..