I'm looking for an Accountability Friend

Options
J_Fabulous
J_Fabulous Posts: 63 Member
I am overweight and have uncontrolled diabetes. A few days ago, I installed a continuous glucose monitor on my body. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. It takes a blood glucose reading every five minutes and displays it on my phone. I am a food addict, so my emotions dictate when and what I eat. There is conflict between my brain wanting to eat, in effect get high on food, and the empirical data on my phone showing there is no biological reason for me to stuff my face with ice cream. The monitor has made it very stressful knowing exactly how unhealthy I am and how my behaviors need to change.

My idea of an accountability friend involves helping me change my attitude. Brainwashing might have a negative connotation, but that is exactly what I need. I need to be reminded to keep my mind focused on my goals.

Replies

• Katelookingreat
    Katelookingreat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The truth can hurt, but it sounds like you have taken great strides to help yourself. It takes a lot of courage even to be honest about your life situation, and most people live in denial of the things that are hard to accept. So already you’ve done a really great thing!! Congrats on taking the first step.

I also tend to eat emotionally and have a lot of negative self talk around food. We can help each other out by being each other’s cheerleaders.

I checked out some of the plans this app offers and they seem really gentle and helpful in making slow but lasting changes. You don’t have to give up desserts and soda cold turkey. The plans can slowly help you make some healthier substitutes over time though.
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea. I never had the 24 hour monitor bt remember the dread of seeing the high sugar levels just after I'd eaten something I knew was bad for me - too late I'd had it and no amount of exercise was going to 'uneat' it, and as they say "you can't outrun a bad diet"
  • puboochu
    puboochu Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? How much are you looking to lose? What kind of support are you looking for? Like daily texts, check ins every few days on here?
  • J_Fabulous
    J_Fabulous Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    puboochu wrote: »
    What are your goals? How much are you looking to lose? What kind of support are you looking for? Like daily texts, check ins every few days on here?

My goal is to loose 60 lbs and get to 200 lbs. I know people have different comfort levels so I'm happy with whatever help I can get. Ideally, I'd love to be able to communicate daily and check-in also, be able to check in when I am feeling I need help with willpower/motivation.