P90X question..

Options
So i plan on starting P90X in the next few days.... My question is...is there anything i can do to substitute for the pull ups that will target the same muscles because i dont have a pull up bar.... i do have 5lb dumbbells... i just dont want to have to stop because i dont have that equipment...

Replies

• SummerHuizenga
    Options
    YEP they will show you modifications in the videos :)
  • militarywife100
    Options
    yeah they show how to do it with resistance bands but i dont have those either...
  • ChrisInCali
    Options
    I can tell you that my son tried everything and the P90X was the only thing that has helped in lose. It's a good program, just stick with it daily and don't expect to keep up right away. They'll tell you that. It works!
  • Silly82
    Options
    I bought a pull up bar and resistance bands for pretty inexpensive at Wal Mart! Get Ready p90X is INTENSE!
  • quixoticmantis
    quixoticmantis Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have a Weider Home Gym and used it in place of the chin ups.

I'm going to echo some others here - don't expect to keep up all at once. Ease yourself into it. P90X is AWESOME, but if you try to go all out at the very beginning, you can really hurt and discourage yourself. P90X was way more intense that i expected! I didn't even finish it, due to a back injury that happened during week 3. :sad:

Good luck!
  • Dabbles
    Dabbles Posts: 367
    Options
    This is the reason I never completed P90X. I didn't have a way to do the pullups and what not. Not even a doorway to put a bar.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a good set of resistance bands for ten bux. one of the best investments i've made (after the p90x program, that is) :smile:

i cant do a pull up to save my life, so i do the modifieds with the bands. took 60 day photos today and cant believe the difference. a good set of bands will get you through alot of the exercises in the program. you will probably outgrow the 5 pound dumbells .
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Grr so jealous! I want to buy it do bad, but I'm so broke lol good luck!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Walmart has a good set of resistance bands for ten bux. one of the best investments i've made (after the p90x program, that is) :smile:

i cant do a pull up to save my life, so i do the modifieds with the bands. took 60 day photos today and cant believe the difference. a good set of bands will get you through alot of the exercises in the program. you will probably outgrow the 5 pound dumbells .

I hope she outgrows the 5lb dumbbells.. I only use them for weighted arm circles, because those set my shoulders on FIRE.
  • bluevwgurl
    Options
    Grr so jealous! I want to buy it do bad, but I'm so broke lol good luck!

ebay has the dvd sets pretty cheap. or check craigs list. there were a few places online to download but i dont know if they are still around. google it.
    write a convincing letter to your local library that they NEED P90x and then borrow it from them. lol (exchange library for sister in law or friend lol)

ask for an early holiday gift
  • bluevwgurl
    Options

I hope she outgrows the 5lb dumbbells.. I only use them for weighted arm circles, because those set my shoulders on FIRE.

i was trying to find a nice way of saying you will also need heavier dumbells, but wasnt sure how to word it.
  • CyclingDiva
    CyclingDiva Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    You can get bands at a great price at Walmart or Target. If you don't want to spend the money ask around and see if anyone you know has some bands they don't use that you can borrow.
    p90x is a fun workout. They will show you how to modify moves until you are stronger enough to do the more advanced moves. The key to the program is pushing play every day! Best of luck to you and have FUN with it! :smile:
  • Zeal8
    Zeal8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pull-ups are a very specific exercise and 1 of the big 3 exercises. Honestly, you can try to go to a park or playground and use a nice bar you find there, like in the monkey bars. I'm from NY and I've seen bored people on the sidewalk use the Walk/Do Not Walk sign to do pull-ups, or scaffolding, I don't advise this! But a small park with a jungle gym is great. Also, know that they're very very difficult, and you'll start out by doing negatives.

Otherwise, you can check ebay or craigslist for the kind that go in the door-frame.

PS: no bands will provide the proper resistant and true benefits that pull-ups deliver as they stimulate your upper back, lats, and biceps.
  • militarywife100
    Options
    Pull-ups are a very specific exercise and 1 of the big 3 exercises. Honestly, you can try to go to a park or playground and use a nice bar you find there, like in the monkey bars. I'm from NY and I've seen bored people on the sidewalk use the Walk/Do Not Walk sign to do pull-ups, or scaffolding, I don't advise this! But a small park with a jungle gym is great. Also, know that they're very very difficult, and you'll start out by doing negatives.

Otherwise, you can check ebay or craigslist for the kind that go in the door-frame.

PS: no bands will provide the proper resistant and true benefits that pull-ups deliver as they stimulate your upper back, lats, and biceps.
    so you think i should just spend the money and get a pull up bar then..... i looked it up and i can get one pretty cheep at walmart.... what are negatives?
  • Zeal8
    Zeal8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sorry, should have explained, a negative rep is when a person cannot the support the weight they're working out with, so they put themselves at the maximum contraction position, then very slowly let it down.

To apply it to a pull up, get a box or something to elevate you to reach the bar better. Since you cannot pull yourself up from dead weight, you can jump up and hold the position, then slowly let yourself down. You can start this with even 2-3 reps.

And yes, the bar is worth it. Shouldn't be more than $20-30.
  • LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    So i plan on starting P90X in the next few days.... My question is...is there anything i can do to substitute for the pull ups that will target the same muscles because i dont have a pull up bar.... i do have 5lb dumbbells... i just dont want to have to stop because i dont have that equipment...

resistance bands! thats what i have used!
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Get bands, as they will serve a dual purpose for you... You can use them instead of your 5-lb weights and for pull-up moves as well. :)

Ultimately, you need a pull up bar, but you can "re-gear" once you get a taste of the X!

Good luck!
  • Silly82
    Options
    @Little D311 and Andre SF

WOW!!! I'm super impressed you completed P90X and Insanity?!?! That's awesome!
  • AndreSF
    AndreSF Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    @Little D311 and Andre SF

WOW!!! I'm super impressed you completed P90X and Insanity?!?! That's awesome!

I'm finishing a hybrid of P90X and Insanity (have not done a pure Insanity round yet), but a pure Insanity round is coming up in about 2 weeks! :)