Are you back at the gym?

Options
13»

Replies

• saltysparkle
    saltysparkle Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US and have access to a community gym I could use, but don't feel safe using yet. I also have a Pilates studio I love that has reopened, but I just don't think it's safe. I keep being shocked by reading that there are folks in parts of the US just going to the gym as usual. Be well, everyone!
  • fitnessjustin01
    fitnessjustin01 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    In The US here... gyms are open but I have yet to talk myself into going again. Home workouts for now.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Gym I part time at reopened in May. I was recalled two weeks ago, and regardless, I’ll continue to train at home.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    UK here and back in the gym.
    At my gym you have to book a time slot. All slots start at xx:00 and finish at xx:50. You can book more than one session and arrive at any point in the session but you HAVE to leave at the end when they clean everything down before letting people in again.
    They are also “fogging” overnight.

The gym goers are diligently wiping stuff down after use (and in some cases before) and there are staff patrolling and wiping stuff down too.

The equipment is double ( cable machines) or triple spaced (cardio) and has overflowed into a second large room.
    The maximum capacity for each hour is 50 but there’s rarely more than 8 booked for any given slot.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Meant to also say:
    Changing and storage areas are still closed and there is a “no coat or bag” rule. Not sure how popular that will prove when it cools down / gets wetter in the autumn!
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    KNoceros wrote: »
    Meant to also say:
    Changing and storage areas are still closed and there is a “no coat or bag” rule. Not sure how popular that will prove when it cools down / gets wetter in the autumn!

We are allowed the small draw string bags
    But no gym bags, should hear all the PL’s and strongmen whinge 😂
  • JVick2013
    JVick2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't feel comfortable yet. And I keep paying for some reason--I just need to call and talk about hold or cancellation options. But I do have Les Mills on demand and I really like all their classes, so it's helping--and about the cost of many gyms near me. (15$/mo, I think).
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    From the center of Canada. Most gyms have been open for a few months now, they are definitely not as busy and I've gone only a few times. Suppose to wear a mask now (although when they first opened you didn't have to). Weather has been nice so I'm finding it easier to get extra cardio outdoors, and just cut back on the weights for now as I'm not enjoying the gym the way it is set up now. Always been a big fan of the social atmosphere and right now it just isn't a 'fun' place to hang out. The staff have been great and I can see the effort going in to keeping it clean etc...just too many rules (not complaining..i get it) but when I go to the gym I just kinda wanna zone out and focus on what I have to do and not worry about if I am walking in the right direction etc.
    It is a strange world we live in, and I'm sure I'll adjust but right now the gym is not a place I want to be reminded about the pandemic
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have 0 covid19 concerns. For most, it’s no worse than the flu. Obviously the elderly or people who have compromised immune systems need to take extra precautions. I am an essential worker, so I’m exposed every single day.

That said, I started building a home gym over 2 years ago. With all the gyms by me going under, I was able to complete my basement gym so that I have no more excuses.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i'm planning to keep working out at home where we've built a collection of equipment including a valor cable machine that's a small functional trainer, a bunch of weight plates, a good quality bench, a recumbent bike, a stepper and more.
  • Isitua
    Isitua Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK, gyms are pretty safe. Lots of social distancing measures, we have classes but you have to pre book because of limits and people are cleaning their equipments.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I just went back to my gym (Youfit) last week. First time since March and it like was nothing had changed. (Except for them scanning foreheads upon entering.) I have been going to Row House, a group spinning class, for the past month. The machines are spaced out about 4-5 feet so I feel like it's fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Just cancelled my membership. I was using it primarily for spin classes in the winter and using the weight room once per week and then lifting with a trainer at another one on one gym on another day.

Most of my exercise is outdoors on my bikes anyway and I'm at the point now where for resistance training, doing band work and some dumbbell work at home is just fine. I got into lifting for a good four or five years at the gym and was really into it, and then for whatever reason it just didn't interest me much anymore and I figure why chance it when I can accomplish what I need to accomplish at home and outside on the road or trails.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,425 Member
    Options
    I overheard two young lifters at the gym today, engrossed in a deep Covid conversation. One is convinced things won’t get back to normal til 2023. The other was bemoaning the fact that nothing was normal.

Then they got into a whole conversation about masks and how they’re getting conflicting information about mask use, benefits etc. They seemed genuinely and utterly confused.

I don’t know why, their youth, I guess, but I felt really sorry for them.

Props though. They were both conscientiously cleaning up equipment after they used it.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Interesting info from my gym staff here in MD...the Health Dept is inspecting the gyms randomly to assess the clarity of the state's mask mandate at the gym and proper mask use by staff and clients.

My gym has received 1 warning...the first infraction results in a $500 fine to the gym, the second infraction results in temporary closure.

Well, gym owner and staff are not playing around. They are constantly monitoring mask use. So right now, I feel pretty safe, b/c 99% of the clients are complying....and are tattling on the 1% of non-compliers, b/c majority of us want the gym to remain open.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Interesting info from my gym staff here in MD...the Health Dept is inspecting the gyms randomly to assess the clarity of the state's mask mandate at the gym and proper mask use by staff and clients.

My gym has received 1 warning...the first infraction results in a $500 fine to the gym, the second infraction results in temporary closure.

Well, gym owner and staff are not playing around. They are constantly monitoring mask use. So right now, I feel pretty safe, b/c 99% of the clients are complying....and are tattling on the 1% of non-compliers, b/c majority of us want the gym to remain open.

I’m in Maryland as well. At Litime Fitness. Everyone is compliant with mask use and wiping down after usage. The staff is consistently cleaning as well. I’m so thankful they have reopened. My performance and body composition has improved vs the training at home with limited equipment.
  • mizzcasual
    mizzcasual Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I’ve been back a few weeks we have to get temperature check and sanitise hands on entry . Hand sanitiser is so strong I tried to smell it after the other day went straight to my head lol. We have hour 15 minutes in the slot booked . Everyone cleans up with the cleaning sprays after use .
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am in the US and I am back at the gym. I wear masks when I'm not at the weights or a machine and I wash my hands multiple times. As much as I fear the virus, my mental health was REALLY suffering without my gym time.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    I am in the US and I am back at the gym. I wear masks when I'm not at the weights or a machine and I wash my hands multiple times. As much as I fear the virus, my mental health was REALLY suffering without my gym time.

I find myself dealing with the same problem. Right now the fitness center in my community has been closed for the second time, so I have no choice other than working out from home (I don't like it!). My husband has underlying conditions and he doesn't want to go back to the gym unless the virus is gone for ever (wishful thinking) or an effective vaccine is available to everybody.

I would feel extremely guilty and heartbroken if I go back by myself, when and if the gym opens again, and I catch the infection and bring it home to him. We are not young people anymore, so taken unnecessary risks is very risky (pun intended).