Uncomfortable Lower Back Pain

I’ve been having some lower back pain while doing jump rope and it’s starting to get annoying cuz that’s my favorite form of cardio and I can’t jump nonstop and gotta take breaks cuz the pain increases if I don’t

I have disc issues and it started about 4 years ago and it was super severe, I couldn’t even sleep because of the pain but I don’t feel it much anymore but now I do while I jump rope.

My question is has this happened to anyone else and how did you deal with it?

Replies

• igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    ALZ14 wrote: »
    If you have known disc/back issues and current back pain then 1) you need to stop jumping rope or any other activity that causes pain and 2) go see a doctor.

Well the doctor gave me some exercises to do while it was at its worst so I don’t think I’ll hear anything new but I’ve started doing the lower back rehab exercises so hopefully they get strong enough and the pain goes away completely again
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    igutt wrote: »
    If you have known disc/back issues and current back pain then 1) you need to stop jumping rope or any other activity that causes pain and 2) go see a doctor.

Well the doctor gave me some exercises to do while it was at its worst so I don’t think I’ll hear anything new but I’ve started doing the lower back rehab exercises so hopefully they get strong enough and the pain goes away completely again

I think you should avoid high impact exercise for a time and then slowly ease back into it. You could probably get some advice from your doctor over the phone.
  • igutt
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think you should avoid high impact exercise for a time and then slowly ease back into it. You could probably get some advice from your doctor over the phone.

Yeah I’ll definitely ease my way back into it cuz I’m no trying to go through that again
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Disc issues + plyometrics like skipping = living life on the wild side 🤣

Maybe check in with a physiotherapist or occupational therapist before doing too much more of that?

Sounds like you like to get a good workout in though so kudos to you!! 💪🏿
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Oh, also ask them about foam rolling for lower back pain. I'm ALMOST convinced myself having done it regularly since the start of the month. Laying on stability balls is another option to discuss.
  • igutt
    MaltedTea wrote: »

Maybe check in with a physiotherapist or occupational therapist before doing too much more of that?

Yeah I can’t quit jump rope cuz of some back pain 😂
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member

Yep, until you can’t at all. Been there.
  • igutt

Yep, until you can’t at all. Been there.

As bad as it is rn it’s nowhere near how bad it was before, the only time that I felt little bit of pain was when I was lying down but anything i did was super painful and If I somehow recovered from that then there’s no question in my mind that I can recover from this unless I make it worse lol hopefully I don’t.

Hopefully you’ve recovered too
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,971 Member
    We all have to live w/our physical limitations whether we like it or not.

I have a chronic elbow condition which prevents me from doing pullups, pushups, OHPs or BPs, wc use to be a regular part of my wkout routine, anymore w/o causing acute pain in the elbow. So, I just don't do them anymore and do other things instead.

If you can't jump rope anymore w/o inducing back pain, there are other lower impact exercises, such as spin biking or rowing, that you can do instead.

You may not enjoy those types of exercises as much but as someone who professes to being a "really stable genius" recently said:

"It is what it is."
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Strengthening the back muscles around the weak discs will help some. Yoga helps with that and stability. What surface are you jumping on? Fatigue mats can help cushion the impact. Inversion therapy can help decompress a bit. Or how about a mini trampoline - also to minimize the impact. Disclaimer: not a doctor, just someone living with 2 herniated discs for 20 years.
  • igutt
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    We all have to live w/our physical limitations whether we like it or not.

I have a chronic elbow condition which prevents me from doing pullups, pushups, OHPs or BPs, wc use to be a regular part of my wkout routine, anymore w/o causing acute pain in the elbow. So, I just don't do them anymore and do other things instead.

If you can't jump rope anymore w/o inducing back pain, there are other lower impact exercises, such as spin biking or rowing, that you can do instead.

You may not enjoy those types of exercises as much but as someone who professes to being a "really stable genius" recently said:

"It is what it is."

The real champ Max Holloway
  • igutt
    Strengthening the back muscles around the weak discs will help some. Yoga helps with that and stability. What surface are you jumping on? Fatigue mats can help cushion the impact. Inversion therapy can help decompress a bit. Or how about a mini trampoline - also to minimize the impact. Disclaimer: not a doctor, just someone living with 2 herniated discs for 20 years.

Yeah I’m trying to add in 2 rehab days a week and today I’ll jump rope again to see how it feels
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member

Avoid high impact exercise.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,261 Member
    So were you fine before you started jumping rope? What I hate is seeing different professionals - (pain docs, surgeons, chiro, physical therapists) even after xrays and mris - who still give me contradictory info. 1) Stop squatting and deadlifting. No you don’t have to stop. 2) Yoga’s great. Be careful of yoga - no downward dog, no forward bending, no twisting 3) work the core - but not the full core (no twisting, etc). Nothing ever hurts in the moment for me - when I sleep though - Lordy!
  • igutt
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    So were you fine before you started jumping rope? What I hate is seeing different professionals - (pain docs, surgeons, chiro, physical therapists) even after xrays and mris - who still give me contradictory info. 1) Stop squatting and deadlifting. No you don’t have to stop. 2) Yoga’s great. Be careful of yoga - no downward dog, no forward bending, no twisting 3) work the core - but not the full core (no twisting, etc). Nothing ever hurts in the moment for me - when I sleep though - Lordy!

Jump rope didn’t cause it, it’s from years ago but yeah jump rope brought a tiny bit of the pain back
  • igutt
    briscogun wrote: »
    Patient: "Doc, it hurts when I move like this."

Doctor: "Then stop moving like that."

There's a lot of pain/soreness I'll work through, but back pain isn't one of them. I've hurt my back before and there are some things you can't come back from. I'd be real cautious...

Oh trust me I know I’m careful cuz if I get pain that’s unbearable I’ll just stop jumping for a bit but I guess I’ll know how it feels in about 15 minutes cuz it’s time to workout
  • igutt
    nooshi713 wrote: »

Avoid high impact exercise.

Just did it again felt much better
  • igutt
    2 days ago I barely did 3 minutes of jump rope cuz of the back pain and the whole 3 minutes were just bad, yesterday I did 6 minutes and it was similar pain to what I felt 2 days ago but today I did 9 minutes and the first 3 minutes were hard and I thought I’d stop after another 3 minutes but I went 6 minutes after that cuz i just felt no pain but I had to stop myself to not overly exert myself and just did the rest of my workout as I usually do

I’ll start doing 2 rehab days a week for the whole body just to keep it nice and strong and I’ll ease into doing things If something bad happens but today has been a massive step in the right direction