Walking

Options
I have been trying to walk for exercise for almost a year now. It has not been consistent because I suffer from asthma and plantar fasciitis. I am slow. I am younger than my husband. I still am slow and can’t increase my speed or duration much. There are still some days I am not wanting to deal with the heat and humidity. My husband is 14 years older than me and tells me he doesn’t want to walk with me anymore because I am too slow. He has only been walking for a month. How is it that I am so fiscally out of shape than my husband. Will I ever get better. He is even more overweight than I am. What is my problem. I can progress at all.

Replies

• 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Are you walking in your neighborhood or at a local track?? If in the neighborhood, is it hilly? Are you wearing walking/running shoes or? How long do you walk, timewise not distance? Personally I'd start with a short 5-10 minute walk, do it 3 times a week. When that becomes something you can reliably done then add a fourth day. When you can do 4 10 minute walks a week consistently then starting time to the walks in small increments. Don't worry about pace, just walk and enjoy it. You're working on the habit first.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    While it doesn't get talked about very much in the forums, the Rockport Walking Test was featured on the MFP blog earlier this year...

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/what-this-1-mile-walking-test-says-about-your-fitness/

It's a quick test, with a lot of 🤓 math to assess cardiovascular fitness!

I found it fun to compare results after 90 days and should probably do it again in September (at 180 days).

As mentioned by @230137isntmyweight, terrain matters. I did my first test on an icy winter day 😐.

Once you know your "level" there are walking programs available online for free that you can do - with or without the hubby - to work on speed, endurance or both!
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Let me add yet another question: is there a considerable height difference between you and your husband? That could mean that, generally speaking, the shorter person needs to walk more steps to cover the same distance in the same time as the taller person. See where I'm getting at?

When I started walking as a form of exercise, I walked for 15 minutes a day. Now I can walk for much longer, and my speed has increased too.

If your husband doesn't want to walk with you, so be it. Walk by yourself, improve your endurance at your own capacity, and make those walks truly yours. You won't regret it. :)
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to walk for exercise for almost a year now. It has not been consistent because I suffer from asthma and plantar fasciitis. I am slow. I am younger than my husband. I still am slow and can’t increase my speed or duration much. There are still some days I am not wanting to deal with the heat and humidity. My husband is 14 years older than me and tells me he doesn’t want to walk with me anymore because I am too slow. He has only been walking for a month. How is it that I am so fiscally out of shape than my husband. Will I ever get better. He is even more overweight than I am. What is my problem. I can progress at all.
    My mom used to tell me I'm a slow Walker but it was just because she was in extremely fast Walker so don't let him discourage you..
    Asthma and plantars fasciitis is working against you in this circumstance. I honestly think with these particular health issues that you should look for a different exercise source. I found this that may be helpful: https://www.northshore.org/healthy-you/how-to-exercise-with-plantar-fasciitis/
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    Change your shoes to ones that support your feet better. It's NOT a speed contest. I've walked everyday since SIP. Since that time (along with some sensible eating and some resistance training) have lost 30lbs+ already. Just keep at it. The only improvement you need to be concerned with is yours, not others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am pretty skeptical so I tried this on a whim:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WP7GXX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was sure I would be returning it and feeling silly for ordering it in the first place.

However it took only 2 days to notice a difference. While there are many foot rollers out there I chose this for the simplicity of use. The ones you can freeze are supposedly better but I wanted something that was stationary and could be kept right next to my chair.

Shoes matter. So do socks.

Stretches help too.

• mkeatonmom8043
    mkeatonmom8043 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My husband told me that I was going faster than I realize. I don’t see it though.
  • mkeatonmom8043
    Options
    I did get better shoes. It did not help. I am walking in the evening too. It is just so hot and humid.
  • mkeatonmom8043
    Options
    I also have to remind myself that I really started this journey in 2018 when I was 207 lbs at a doctors office. I was on antidepressants too. Then I could not afford them anymore. The next visit after that I was 196 lbs. That is already an improvement. I just am a very impatient person.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Learn how to tape your feet. I did that for well over a year until my feet healed. I was consistent and you'll learn how to get the tension just right to take the pressure off. I also used shoe inserts at the same time. Don't go barefoot around the house. You can invest in some 'inside' shoes that you use strictly for the house to keep your carpets/floors clean.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    plantar_taping.jpg
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Walk at dawn. I do with my dog. Started not by choice, now I enjoy it more than I ever thought I would. Coolest part of the day and easiest for breathing. Also with the birds starting to sing and bunnies foraging (in a big city - who knew?) it’s sort of magical. You’ll get it over with early too and get the one-up on your husband. The taping is legit. It made it hurt less though I found it a little time-intensive. I wear socks that support the arch - nothing fancy, Walmart brand I think, but they help some. Thing with walking is to do just enough to push yourself, but not enough to cripple yourself. Then keep coming back for more. Weight-bearing has been a challenge for me due to foot injuries I sustained years ago, but I’m up to 7 or 8k steps per day now. I ramped up VERY slowly. Good luck!
  • gceinca
    gceinca Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am considered a "slow" walker even when I feel I am walking fast. Then, when walking with a group of people, I compared the number of steps I was taking to the others. I was having to take 15 steps to about the 10 steps every one else was taking to cover the same ground. I just have a short stride. I have a shorter stride even compared to folks who are my same height. Something to think about...