NOOM and MyFitnessPal

Anyone have experience with NOOM? I've used MFP for many years, with successful "bursts", but the motivation to stick with it is difficult to maintain. NOOM promises more attention and motivation, but I am scepticle.
1. Does NOOM work in coordination with MFP and Garmin Connect?
2. Does MFP have any mechanisms or support functions that would do what NOOM is promising?

Replies

• caseycarte
    caseycarte Posts: 1 Member
    Leaving Noom today but will miss the color system for keeping track of my food groups (green, yellow, and red). Do you think MFP has an equivalent measuring tool. I seriously love the Noom one but nothing else about the app and am worried about changing now to MFP.
  • junegloomy
    junegloomy Posts: 3 Member
    caseycarte wrote: »
    Leaving Noom today but will miss the color system for keeping track of my food groups (green, yellow, and red). Do you think MFP has an equivalent measuring tool. I seriously love the Noom one but nothing else about the app and am worried about changing now to MFP.
    MFP is great don’t be worried. If you log and exercise you should be fine. 😊
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    ericfm160 wrote: »
    Anyone have experience with NOOM? I've used MFP for many years, with successful "bursts", but the motivation to stick with it is difficult to maintain. NOOM promises more attention and motivation, but I am scepticle.
    1. Does NOOM work in coordination with MFP and Garmin Connect?
    2. Does MFP have any mechanisms or support functions that would do what NOOM is promising?

One option you could consider would be to participate in one of the accountability or challenge groups on MFP, got the extra support that can provide. (Should any with really extreme goals of course!)

There are usually some "advertised" via posts in the Challenges section of the forum. You could look there for one that seems congenial to you.
  • jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    I tried Noom for 2 days and hated the meal tracking UI so much that I didn't get to the point of being assigned to a group for support. If the support group and mental health aspects are what you are looking for I would recommend checking out whether there are options available through your healthcare provider. I know mine has a lot of weight loss support groups, coaching options, and even healthy cooking classes that teach techniques for healthy living and weight loss for cheaper than Noom.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I did Noom (even got the upsell exercise and food plans) for about a month then came here. I like it here MUCH better.

I wasn't overly impressed by their app (you can't track water!!!???) and the food database wasn't as robust as MFPs. That said, some of the psychology/neuroscience was very interesting. The initial "coaching" was not my cup of tea (my coach -who I'm not entirely sure wasn't a bot - got switched for several days).

However, both the neuroscience and coaching could be the exact things others would find most helpful

That said, had I not disliked Noom, I wouldn't have found MFP lol So, I'm grateful for that!
  • steffish1
    steffish1 Posts: 8 Member
    I like the articles Noom gives you everyday that is the only reason I continue on Noom . You can sync mfp and Noom. So that’s a plus . Noom data base is very wrong on most food items and the color coding of food I disliked
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited August 2020
    Noom has its pluses and minuses. I've used it twice, basically as a break from MFP. Good opportunity for accountability, and decent psychoeducational articles (I have a background in clinical psych so none of it was news to me) -- but as others have said, their database is terrible: kept losing custom items and recipes I'd added, a lot of the items were *way* off, and the user interface for logging can't match MFPs. Plus, the text on the articles are too cutesy for my taste and there's no way to access your account on a laptop browser - it's smart phone only. Unlike steffish1, I liked the red/yellow/green color coding for food. You can read my detailed comments here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vingogly
  • Marilata05
    Marilata05 Posts: 3 Member
    steffish1 wrote: »
    I like the articles Noom gives you everyday that is the only reason I continue on Noom . You can sync mfp and Noom. So that’s a plus . Noom data base is very wrong on most food items and the color coding of food I disliked

How do you sync noom and mfp? I can't seem to find an option.
  • lgutmann
    lgutmann Posts: 2 Member
    Marilata05 wrote: »

How do you sync noom and mfp? I can't seem to find an option.

I would also love to know how to do this! Please advise. Thanks!
  • lgutmann
    lgutmann Posts: 2 Member

HOW do you sync noom diary with mfp diary?
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    I tried out Noom for 14 days. I still use their calorie tracker. I like how it separates everything I log into the three food groups. It helps me realize that I may have been slight under my calorie allowance, however I went over budget in Red.
    I’m going to look into syncing Noom with MFP. I didn’t think that was an option. If I find a way, I’ll share if here.
  • TheresaM787
    TheresaM787 Posts: 751 Member
    Nope. Not from what I just read. That would have been a nice timesaver.